github.com/miki151/keeperrl
opensource.org/docs/definition.php
github.com/OpenXRay/xray-16
nxengine.sourceforge.net/
github.com/iortcw/iortcw
etlegacy.com/
hackcraft.de/games/linwarrior_3d/index.htm
coldestgame.com/site/
shikadi.net/keenwiki/The_Universe_is_Toast_(mod_trilogy)
github.com/xythobuz/OpenRaider/
unvanquished.net/
tesseract.gg/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259
openclonk.org/
vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
opensource.org/definition
warsow.net
zandronum.com
unrealengine.com/eula
unrealengine.com/branding-guidelines-and-trademark-usage
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Computer_Company
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Manifesto
catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch02s01.html
gamasutra.com/view/news/216469/A_basic_history_of_BASIC_on_its_50th_birthday.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamon_(computer_game)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

every open source video game sucks.

coincidence?

nope

minetest.net/
github.com/IntelOrca/OpenRCT2

0ad
minetest
singularity
open morrowind
FreeOrion

go to the libre game wiki faggot
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page

pic related

pioneerspacesim.net/

wake me up when there's a battlemech simulator

Who Xonotic here? Is it just me, or does this game have dogshit optimization? That said, it's amusing enough to do a quick startup and rack up some frags.

There was >>>/lv/ here but changes in owners who brought back flash file support and stopped posting this site's code made them leave disappointed.

The first thread has tons of great games or FLOSS engines to play old classics.

The Ur-Quan Masters AKA Star Control 2

sc2.sourceforge.net/

I've tried Xonotic before, and I thought it was pretty good. The unlimited jumping is a bit stupid imo, but that's just me.

I play Red Eclipse more, since it doesn't torture my toaster as much as Xonotic does.

github.com/sulix/omnispeak

There's literally no good original open sauce videogame.

The only open source games that are at least half decent are direct ripoffs of commercial games, which often are better than the open source clone (see: minetest vs minecraft).

warsow, ioquake3, iortcw, doom 1 & 2, (z)angband
packages.gentoo.org/categories
Look into the games.

Why would someone want to spend literally thousands of hours making a game just to give it away?

Making game actually takes talent and work not to mention money.

For fun, as a spare-time hobby. Really, outside of electrical costs incurred by running a computer, the only reason why game development needs to cost money is because professional game developers need to be payed because that's literally all they do. Of course there's nothing wrong with getting payed for your work, but when you do it as a hobby in your spare time it does eliminate the need for money.

Many proprietary games don't cost money and some libre (open source) games do cost money. For example:
frogatto.com/

I don't develop games, but I contribute to free software because I enjoy programming and I'm creating software that's useful/fun to me. I don't think games are fundamentally different in that regard.

Arx Fatalis and its source port Arx Libertatis
gog.com/game/arx_fatalis
arx-libertatis.org/

Arx Fatalis is basically the unofficial Ultima Underworld III, it's a role-playing game that takes place entirely underground. Don't think of it as a dungeon crawler, rather a dungeon simulator. There are people to talk to, you can craft things like making wooden stakes for killing undead or baking pie for food, and most problems have more than one solution.

You mean proprietary.

Free(libre)/open-source doesn't imply non-commercial.

yesss believe in the sweet patreon/kickstarter lies

> libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
Wow it's fucking nothing a lot of the games there are broken, unfinished and not updated anymore.

It looks good for my shitty hardware, but I've never ever been able to get it to connect to a server. Something's seriously fucked up in the netcode because it wouldn't even connect to localhost last time I tried.

Came here to post this. A great game!

open source v free software autism aside, osgameclones.com/ is a much better resource.

powdertoy.co.uk/

So does Quake 1-3 and Doom 3 not count because while the engine is open source it still needs binary assets to run the games themselves?

Software licenses don't apply to assets.

Also, while technically not open source since its not released under any license and might even be illegal as it probably falls under reverse engineering, someone did rewrite Pokemon Red and Blue through dissasembly

github.com/pret/pokered

You didn't even try.

Go back sucking Tods dick after buying the remastered version of skyrim.

Really?

What does RMS have to say about binary game assets?

Who said anything about giving Fraud Howard money? I'll probably pirate it myself

>gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html

He thinks that you should at least be allowed to distribute art verbatim and gratis, so he wouldn't be okay with very proprietary assets, but he doesn't apply the same standards as to software.

Looks a little too much like Oblivion for my taste; but 'The Dark Mod' is a lot of fun if you're into Thief style games.

Open Source /= gratis

Besides, if you are going to have a DRM-free version of your game (as most indies still usually do) there is no real added risk in having your code open (with the assets remaining non-free).

Great game. But the last stable release of Arx Liberatis was back in 2013. But since then, at least two developers have been working on it non-stop, to this day. Lots of nice improvements have been implemented too...

I wonder what's holding up the next point release.

Battle for Wesnoth and SuperTuxKart are pretty impressive.

xor
Full disclosure: I wrote this game
gamejolt.com/games/xor/134566

Runs great on my Athlon II X2 GTX 750 machine, and runs decently on my laptop too.

Either way, I will never get tired of instagib. Xonotic is literally the best quake-like I know.

There are game consoles the games of which are mostly free software : see the gamebuino gamebuino.com/
The pokitto will also be a foss console.

hm, maybe it's just AMDGPU still needing more work for the rx 460. or hell, could be plasma5 hogging resources or something.

shit's so cash. instagib + grapple hook and rocket jumps. very addictive. shame the servers all have 160 ping and they're all empty.

Begone foul time vampire

No.

>xenia.jp
Xbone360 emulator

Free and open source to the best of my knowledge, although it only works on Windows 8 and up and still can't play a majority of games.

Why are newer emulators gravitating towards words that end in "a"?

What else? mgba doesn't count.

but like

If it's fully open source

What's stopping someone from compiliing it for free

I didn't know it's still being worked on, I only saw that there was no new release and figured the devs found it good enough and left it as is.

I agree, it's a really good game, the closest to an Ultima Underworld we will ever get. (there is still Underworld Descendant, but none of these "old fucks make video games one more time" Kickstarters have gotten anywhere so far). It would be cool if we could have a game like Arx Fatalis with the gameplay of Dark Messiah.

This is a little like asking 'If the game is DRM-free, what's to stop people from pirating it'. Besides, exactly what percentage of the PC mustard race do you think actually knows how to compile software?

What's stopping someone from redistributing the DRM-free binary?

What's the point of compiling the engine when you don't have the game assets? And if people are pirating the assets they will also be pirating the engine, so it's not a loss if they can compile the engine themselves.

Besides, how man gamers do you think know how to compile anything? There is zero loss when making a game-engine FLOSS. The only people who would object are the ones who are selling their middleware (Unreal, Unity, ...), but even they could instead simply sell support instead.

Last commit was a week ago...

Anyway, there 's menu scaling now and magic is a lot easier to draw at higher resolutions (1080p and up). The latest git also runs smoother on my rig than the old stable version.

github.com/arx/ArxLibertatis

????????????????

Just like OpenMW, GemRB, Exult and every other F/OSS replacement engine. You'll need the assets to run the game (it's up to you if you actually buy them).

Check the GOG link if you want to buy the assets or just torrent them.

almost legit, its a big simulation of something

You'd prefer it used GTK3? What's wrong with you?

qt is bloated shit, it would be perfect if someone makes gtk version....

They're both bloated shit, but Qt makes a lot more sense if you want to target several platforms.

that makes sense

Aren't the scripts to this closed? Contrary to what some might say, scripts are not a grey-area like assets.

Try what? Unfinished software like this one?

libregamewiki.org/Dead_Justice (not even finished at all)
libregamewiki.org/Eskimo-run (last update 2006)
sourceforge.net/projects/aoh/files/ (updated in 2005)
>bzflag.org/
>libregamewiki.org/First-person_shooter_games

I could list even more on such a outdated website with hardly any polish, at that point it would be better to pirate games then downloading obscure FOSS software with dead multiplayer lobby.
The FOSS gaming community really need to step up their crap to be able to compete with Steam and the likes.

The only Betshit games I have ever bought was the oblivion one and that was ages ago.
You stupid nigger.

Falltergeist

Fallout 2 engine reimplementation

tfw needs more active developers

github.com/falltergeist/falltergeist

Fucking Fwiffo, RIP anonymous crew member.

Right now they have a tight little community where people like MikeeUSA are relatively rare, you need to go out of your way to even learn about FLOSS gaming. Trying to compete for market share would flood it with terrible people who have no interest in freedom driving decent people away. Not calling MikeeUSA a terrible person, just deranged. And he's more or less accepted in the community.

Plus how could it compete when more money is spent on marketing than development? Video games are bigger than Hollywood now, would you tell an independent film maker with no budget to compete with a 100+ million dollar production on getting a larger audience rather than making a movie he wants to make?

The best solution was the one employed by Carmack. If a commercial game is successful the developer ought to GPL the code as a thank you to the fans who made it so. But that is unfeasible nowadays since games are made with licensed proprietary tools, they can't even give away modding or level creation programs like they once did.

You are not completely wrong, despite the NSA and Snowden revelation there are many people who are still using Faceberg despite the owners of the said company doesn't give a shit about freedom.

Of course the independent movie maker wouldn't be able to compete with AAA marketing budget so the only hope for him is to make a best out of it so that his product within a feasible limit can be done in the hopes that it spreads in the likes of word of mouth so that his product becomes more popular so that he can make a better movie next time even when the improvement overall is minor which better than nothing or having a negative "improvement".

The demographics of todays "gamers" have changed and sadly even their taste which means more casualized trash, instant gratification, feeling of "progress" for relative low effort and the likes. Doing anything with the mobile market today is impossible as it is over saturated now and you really need a decent team to compete with other games on that field.

Games like Xonotic, 0 AD, Evolution RTS, Minetest, etc is more or less a step in the right direction. Minetest has a nice amount of mods selection so it could compete with Minecraft especially as Minecraft development is rather sub-optimal.

Yes that one is great, ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Eternity Engine, Hyper 3DGE and PBoom+ are still developed to this day and for ZDoom it has a nice amount of mods/maps and a few more stuff are getting developed. For the art asset there is Freedoom already which is pretty complete even when it is a bit rough in the edges.

Is that the reason why nowadays there isn't many games that supports modding? I already wondered why UT3 has it's level editor hidden away and Mass Effect 1 has none to speak of, that sucks man.

(checked)
Noice and speaking of engine reimplementation there is also X-Com: Open Apocalypse
Yes it is a bit old but there is talk in their IRC room that they want to make a new video very soonish as they have a new developer who was very busy with the battlescape.

OpenApoc May 2016 progress
youtube.com/watch?v=heP_T4Fu2MY
trello.com/b/lX5Y3DwR/openapoc

Jesus fuck why would you even want the source to such a shit engine?

So you could play the original Fallout games natively on all the things.

Apparently, there are people working on an LGPL licensed engine to run the old problematic Tomb Raider games from the 90s. Why anyone would want to revisit such a dated and over sexualized depiction of the character, I have not idea though...

opentomb.github.io/

Those are some nice tits.

Did tomb raider have finite ammo?
I remember blasting a bear and it was such a damage soak, I got bored and dropped the game.

See, this is what I mean. This version of Lara was just meant for horny teenagers to rape with their eyes. Thank the flying spaghetti monster the current Lara is a more progressive character.

The handguns had infinite ammo, everything else required ammunition.

ur a faget

Because you'd have to be gay to consider the old Lara Croft to be sexist... Thank goodness SquareEnix modernized the character, so now everyone can enjoy Tomb Raider.

They didn't just modernize the character, the entire series has been brought into the current year. No more problematic guns!

Yeah they bought Eidos and are responsible for fixing it.

I mean SquareEnix is responsible for modernizing Lara into the mature character we have now. The images are to show how far this character has come.

Good that the character no longer promotes gun culter (at least on the cover art). It's still a shame SE felt some people would be upset about a lesbian Lara Croft. LaraXSam would have been great way to make the series more inclusive for the LGBTQ+ community.

I don't think Holla Forums is as easy to bait as Holla Forums, amigo. Most just take your posts as slightly amusing.

Anyways, I'm glad the politics correspond with the game quality. Reboot TR games are pretty bad, so it's not like fans are missing out.

Just my way of venting my frustration about how boring the character is now.

But, anyway, OpenTomb is a pretty interesting project. It has died and come back to life more times than any other F/OSS project I can think of, so here's hoping there are no more setbacks.

How close is it to completion?
I want to play the old Tomb Raider games.

It's still pre-alpha. You can load all the levels, and Lara herself is mostly fully functional. But enemies lack AI, vehicles don't work, and scripted events have not been fully implemented.

Of course, the devs could always use more people helping out.

github.com/opentomb/opentomb

free as in freedom

Not really. Especially living in murica, more money = less problems. Why stick to some moral point about everything you make being free (that no one will understand or sympathize with) when you can live an easier life instead?

I just checked out a few projects on libregamewiki going to their homepage and often they've released an update this year while on the wiki it'll say last updated in 2014 or 15. Those category page links at the top are especially bad.

I thought about editing the page myself for projects I like and aren't dead but this is at the top

Something isn't working on that site. Games will have two different 'Last Release' dates on different pages and in some cases both of them are wrong, in one case there were two different 'Last Release' dates on the same page. I've seen maybe a dozen examples of this and a few dead links.

There's also the issue of games that are feature complete. Just because a game was left as is in 2008 doesn't mean the community gave up on it, just look at Core War. That game has been around since 1984 and it's still going to be around in 2084.

Only sith speak in absolutes.

This pretty much. It's got some good gameplay for what it is.

One of many untruths spouted by those who opppose freedom

Sheev?

Yeah but they're fucking trash, what's the point? Why not lend more support to a worthy project like Open Blades of Exile?

This is somewhat intredasting. Been playing through Tomb Raider III PC again myself at the moment.

More like arguing that you can't make money without slaves.

TR3 was brutal. Makes Dark Souls look like a fucking cake walk.

gnjump is great and if you liked the Escape Velocity games then Naev and Endless Sky are worth checking out

also: will Xonotic ever get some better bots? I'm not talking human-like behavior, just bots that won't keep dropping into the water or stay locked in place on jump pads

There are a thousand Minecraft FOSS clones, but no Terraria/Starbound FOSS clones. How come? Both of those games are infinitely superior to voxelshit.

The London levels were the worst.

Because most are good at coding but few are good at making games. Terraria is not a winner because of its amazing technology or graphics.

The whole game is basically one of those shitty frustration ROMhacks.

Not sure if I'd say that... It's still a good game; it's just not the first classic TR game anyone should play, by any means. You really need the skills you get from TR2 at a minimum before trying TR3.

Apparently, the first Sunrider game is fully libre (even the assets are shareable, just not commercially).

github.com/vaendryl/Sunrider

Nobody cares to maintain projects like these. Technically speaking, I can do a Terraria clone but I couldn't be bothered to take responsibility over the whole project. I wouldn't mind working as a lead developer if somebody else decides to take responsibility over it.

If you believe "free software" means "no money allowed" then you are sorely confused. We encourage everybody to make a profit selling free software.

KeeperRL looks cute and fun, it's been improving quite a bit from what I've seen in the videos.

Still have yet to try it myself though

keeperrl.com/download/
github.com/miki151/keeperrl

Because my life is pointless and I'll be comfy enough without the extra cash from some hobby project.

But let's not go there

Widelands is superior to Settlers II which it is a ripoff of. Ripoffs can too be solidly done and pick up where the originals left.

Well, here is me mentioning both of them as nice shooters, 2d and 3d respectively.

Also play pretty often.

Battle for Wesnoth proves you wrong.

isn't teeworlds full of kids scripting to win?

If it was, it's not really anymore. There's a cheat client, 13x37, but haven't seen a lot of cheaters except for game modes such as instagib.
It's more full of germans, if anything.

Tomb Raider has one of the more dedicated and under represented fanbases for vidya.

The fanbase sort of split after Tomb Raider Legend. Ones who stuck around with the older engine and ones that refused to play the older games.

The older engine had a level editor and the fanbase for it never went away. People kept producing levels (to this day) and the main site for it never went under. You can still find hundreds of custom maps for the game.

The main reason an open source engine is being created is because Tomb Raider is slightly notorious for not having the best PC ports. TR1 for instance runs off DOS. TR3's PC port lacked a lot of particle effects from the PS1 port etc. They also lack native controller support for things like xinput. There's a lot of benefits to an open source engine for the community and that's why it's being made.

well at least it's better than yet another Quake clone

the default pistols were infinite, everything else had ammo

Mednafen

Please, Wesnoth is better than Fire Emblem in a number of ways.

Ironically you shoot more (human) enemies in the reboot than in all the older games together.

RetroArch vs Mednafen, who wins?

xrandr and pactl

both great

Sounds pretty much the usual reasons F/OSS engines are made for old games. I'm glad OpenTomb has gotten back on track though.

To be fair, the classic games put more emphasis on puzzle solving than combat.

Is OpenTomb going to have it's own level editor?

They're both trash.

One FLOSS game that really ought to have a built in level editor is Neverball, just how hard would it be integrating an old build GTKRadiant into that anyways?

They just went with a bow on the box art because this movie series was racking in cash at the time. That's why they went with a younger Lara of roughly the same age as Katniss on her first expedition.

Shit, this is exactly what my dad wanted. Thanks man

I always prefered the puzzles in TR. The reboot has some pretty dank ones but there are way too few of them.

Your dad's still going to have to wait a while; OpenTomb's still basically pre-alpha.

Sorry... This was meant for

Depending on the campaign.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that OpenTomb running so well on the reverse engineered Nouveau drivers.

nod really, reddit.

How would you sell a game if all of it's code and shit is free for everyone to view and copy? Might as well just beg for donations.

You could say the same about releasing a game without DRM. Hell, having the source code out is less of a risk, because so few Windows gamers even know how to compile software.

You have the people funding your game be credited as producers. If they do art or code they also get credited appropriately. Support is sold. New features are sold.

I've seen several FLOSS game projects where the main developers get supplementary income from working on it, often those that provide financial support can vote on what features should be given the highest priority. I've donated to them in the past and will continue doing so.

The idea that you have to sell a game isn't how FLOSS gaming works. You don't beg for donations as if it's a shameful thing to do either. When someone gives money to a FLOSS gaming project it goes directly to the people working on it, not a small portion after publishers and payment processors get their cut. Unfortunately they tend to use Kickstarter or Patreon but you can always contact them directly to cut out the middleman.

Just as alluded towards, you can finance a libre game using the patron model. Kickstarter and Patreon are web services that support the patron model but there's nothing wrong with doing that kind of work yourself. One way to do the patron model is to divide a story driven game into episodes, calculate the cost of developing the game and charge your customer patrons a certain amount to release the latest episode.

Some free (open source) software is sold. Technically, to qualify for that the source code only has to be available to people who bought the software, although they can legally distribute it to others. But most software like that has source code in a public repository but no public binary builds.

Selling that software still works because most people don't know how to compile it. People can put gratis builds up, but people do that with proprietary software too. In the case of free software it becomes easier and legal, but it's still a very similar problem, and proprietary software manages to cope.

There are other tactics to make money.

If you're a large company making enterprise software it's very effective to sell support for your software.

When Richard Stallman just got started with GNU and his software had already caught on he let companies hire him to make additions to his own software, on the condition that he could publicly release those additions. Because he already knew the code very well he could get those additions done faster than anyone else and he could charge a high hourly rate.

Many projects are funded by voluntary donations.

Sites like Bountysource let you request a feature and put a bounty on it that's paid to whoever adds the feature.

Retroarch runs on many systems, has advanced rollback net code which allows joining mid game, the lowest input latency of any emulator and with the core system allows developers to focus on the parts of the emulator that matters. Plus it has experimental features such as Vulkan support.

Mednafen is good, but a lot of modern development is all focused on Retroarch thanks to the core system.

In my opinion Retroarch is the best emulator ever made.

retardation_intensifies.gif

How well goes Retroarch handle PC-Engine (TG-16, TurbografX, whatever)?

I loves me some Military Madness and Devils Crush

Should have never sold that system for those crack rocks...

There's always been Magic Engine but it's proprietary, costs money

IMO Tomb Raider (original) was just the start of the SJW invasion into gaming. Use tits get to a woman protagonist, tits everywhere, then start introducing the shame.

Game ain't that great anyways

Nah, TR was as "problematic" as it gets. Female protagonist was an excuse to bounce tits, not the other way around.

Ironically, PC Engine is handled by a Mednafen core. The core in question is good quality, but you need syscard3.pce for CD-based games.

where is the OP clip from?
The guy looks like filthyfrank but fatter

hedgewars is better than worms this day and age
same goes for ottd

maybe than overall series but absolutely not worms armageddon

hedgewars needs to fix the wonky physics, abduance of gimmick weapons and unclear and dysfunctional graphics design over shitload of stuff they had put there like le epic hats and mutators most of which don't represent what people actually play in W:A

as far as open source artillery hole digging games go, openlierox is still the king

HD N64 gaming nig

Yeah but the games you play on it aren't open source you fucking dullard.

The PS3-like UI is absolutely cancerous, unresponsive and laggy.

Retroarch is more of a wrapper for emulator cores, which includes Mednafen.

It's like you don't want better graphics and compute in your emulators.

Yep, but I doubt it could do anything malicious in the emulator.

Yes, please also program a shiny new Vulkan graphics engine for Minesweeper while we're at it.

What makes her even more problematic is the fact that Lara Croft is an actual case of "white washing". Originally, she was supposed to be a central american named Lara Cruz. This is why she looks so brown in all the official art and CGI from the first game.

Classic Lara is basically the most triggering thing I can imagine outside of Japanese gaming. So I kinda doubt that.

Sauerbraten/Cube.

Yeah, it's unpolished and kinda outdated, but I have fond memories of messing with Edit Mode servers *years* before Minecraft came out. Plus, deliciously fast gameplay.

Oh fuck I can see it in her face.

Well Unreal 4 is open source.

I personally prefer caramel coated Lara... She had more flavor that the current Croft.

Than* the current Croft.

Not it's fucking not. It's source available, which isn't the same thing.

source available is open source, just not libre.
open source = porky
libre software = communism

>opensource.org/docs/definition.php
Leftards in charge of being right.

That game was the shit. I used to spend hours fucking around with ZDoomGL too, you can make some cool shit with subtractive light sources.

Speak for yourself. You kept going even after told you how ignorant you are.

i can think of hundreds of things worse than rape, war, famine, torture, death, to generalize most of them.

I thought it's free to use as long as it's not commercial?

That's still not open source. Just look up the definition. It's effectively almost equivalent to free software.

If he comes back now I'll bet we can hit 1.0 before the 15th anniversary and time it to maximize the number of Shitrim fags that hear about it and start contributing. I don't know nearly enough about engine features to contribute to the project in any helpful way so all I can do is shill it, make mods in OpenCS, and bugtest.

Well only if you want to play Morrowind, it is intended to be able to be used as an engine for standalone free and open source games and eventually someone's going to make something like Nehrim or Enderal for it.

Isn't the Ultima 9 fan remake supposed to use OpenMW?

How similar is the morrowind engine to oblivion's engine?

Can the OpenMW engine be used eventually for Oblivion, maybe it can be used as a base to throw together an oblivion engine reimplementation?

I recently compiled openmw and set it all up nicely and played, but I just couldn't get into morrowind.. I feel like you need nostalgia goggles to enjoy it.

I do have the required nostalgia goggles to enjoy Oblivion, though.

Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are also based on a newer version of Gambryo. OpenMW could be used as a starting point to make an Open Oblivion/FO3, but a LOT of work would have to be done to make that happen.

But you wouldn't be starting from zero, which is more than what the OpenMW project had.

It's also worth noting that you can already load Oblivion assets into OpenCS.

That's pretty awesome, user.

Someone's bound to make it happen. OpenMW is going to be a good starting point and there are plenty of technically proficient fans of these games that are motivated enough to do the hard work.

Fucking freefags, just pay the $10 and stop dreaming.

You still have to pay for the assets to use these with these free engines, you poor dumb nigger.

Why the fuck won't you pay $10 for the complete motherfuckng games?

Fucking faggot.

You still need to have a copy of Morrowind for OpenMW to work, moron. Same deal with GemRB, OpenTomb, OpenRA and every other libre engine replacement.

freenigger.

read

Nigger, you still need the assets to run the game. Are you retarded, or something?

What part of "you need to have a copy of Morrowind" did you not understand?

Unless they get distracted by remaking these games in whatever Beths current shit engine happens to be. See: Morroblivion and Skywind.

As a huge Oblivion fan I want a linux-native implementation, fuck wine (for now anyways). And FOSS is also a really good deal, it's worth working towards.

Enjoy not getting paid

Tales of Maj Eyal, Dungeon Crawl: Stone soup. Only if you're into roguelikes.

How would you "get paid" by doing a non-FOSS implementation? That would only hinder the community and you couldn't even sell your game without a lawsuit from bethesda.

Simon Tatham's puzzle collection, if you don't know about it or haven't played it, kill yourself right fukcing now

You work for motherfucing Bethesda if you want to make a fucking game with bethesda (==duh!==), and you get fucking paid at the end of every week or month or whatever.

Fuck the community, you don't owe them shit.

Stalker like mod for OpenMW when

Then what should we call something like UE4?

Source is available but you have to pay for commercial use.

github.com/OpenXRay/xray-16

It is source-available. Not all source-available uses exactly the same terms, just as not all open source uses exactly the same terms.

Source-available proprietary software.

You're still starving on the street, kiddo.

Need to make some money.

so you can compile that thing, add in the CoP data stuff and use any CoP mods?

There's still a lot of issues/bugs, I don't think mods work though.

Codes that runs on commercial games are proprietary, which doesn't respect the 4 freedom.

nxengine.sourceforge.net/

The nxengine. A FLOSS SDL engine for Cave Story.

With an open source engine, you'll be able to do stuff that was impossible to do with the original or wasn't some really ugly attempt to get around engine limitations. Take a look at zdoom/gzdoom. All those cool mods are completely impossible to do in the original doom engine. Just imagine all the fun things you can create and give even more meaning to older games.

github.com/iortcw/iortcw
etlegacy.com/

Huh, cool.

Is there any free as in freedom third person cover-based shooting game?
Something like Mass Effect series or Gears of War style combat.

hackcraft.de/games/linwarrior_3d/index.htm
coldestgame.com/site/

Wow, this would be great for the additional trilogy: shikadi.net/keenwiki/The_Universe_is_Toast_(mod_trilogy)
Great btw, I highly recommend them. I used DosBox before but will try this instead. Thanks.

Nice work.

I don't think so. IIRC they are zlib but not shared on github, just with the game assets. To be fair though, scripts can be a fairly grey area or at least just difficult. For instance, Minetest addons are mostly unlicensed or can even be outright proprietary. How seriously do you need to take your commitment to freedom? Do you contact an admin to check the licenses of the addons a server uses before connecting? Or do you more likely (for most people) say "fuck it, it's just a script" and connect without a second thought. The ethics are cut and dry, but the issue of scripts can be a personal one and it comes down to how strict someone wants to be and if just being able to see the code is enough for the individuals' personal use.

Opentomb is good, but it attempts to incorporate the 4th and 5th games. Games 1-3 used the same engine and are the same effort to implement, but 4 and 5 are both efforts on their own being lumped together. I haven't compared the two projects but I also know of openraider which is just a 1-3 engine reimplementation. github.com/xythobuz/OpenRaider/ Also I wonder if the "nude patch" would still works on these...

Ooh, not played this. Thanks.

As for my contribution, there have already been great suggestions and so many to choose from, but I will suggest three not mentioned already.
unvanquished.net/
tesseract.gg/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259 - If you haven't played this yet, seriously, do it.
openclonk.org/

Hope somebody picks this back up, and updates it to support SDL2.

Minetest
Xonitic
OpenArena
Battle for Wesnoth
0AD
That 3D elite clone I forget the same of
OpenRA
SuperTux2

I spent a whole $15 on Magic Engine in like 2001 or something just to play my physical TG16-CD games. Worth every penny IMHO, and yes there are better free ones now, but fuck you.

vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Proprietary open source. Fuck the gnuspergs who say it's not.

Here ya go man.

This is the definition of open source. If it doesn't meet all the requirements, then it is not open source.

opensource.org/definition

UE4 is interesting in its own right. The code is available on github for anyone to see/modify. But you have to pay a royalty (5% iff you make >3k with your project). The royalty seems very fair to me. It's all about the opportunity cost, considering it would take a solid team of programmers years of effort to program something similar in quality to UE4 from the ground up. But if you never make any money from it it doesn't cost you a cent.

So why won't developers make games like that?

Like what?

Make the game open source, but if they try to sell the modified version of the game, the developers make profit off it.

Warsow - warsow.net
zandronum - zandronum.com

Their EULA requires that you include their trademark as follows

“[Product name] uses the Unreal® Engine. Unreal® is a trademark or registered trademark of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere”

“Unreal® Engine, Copyright 1998 – xxxx, Epic Games, Inc. All rights reserved.”

unrealengine.com/eula

Look into this more in depth;

>While all licensees can enter into the Unreal Engine trademark license, please note that we withhold the right to refuse permission to use our trademarks on a case-by-case basis for projects that are inconsistent with Epic’s brand image (e.g., games with an anticipated ESRB rating higher than M, pornography, extreme violence, etc.). Please check with us if you are unsure if your project fits these requirements.

unrealengine.com/branding-guidelines-and-trademark-usage

This rewording of the EULA came out when the Hatred game was making waves because of 'extreme violence'. If Epic, Tencent(Chinese government) or a group with enough influence doesn't like what you're doing with their engine they can shut your game or project down. You're entirely at the mercy of their whims. Pornographic titles that use this engine need permission from Unreal to waive the requirement on using their trademark.

Who gives a shit if the source is available publicly?

Couldn't you just fork the engine if you disagree?

That's as ridiculous as forking the engine if you 'disagree' with their licensing fees. You're not allowed.

Free software and open source are about your rights as a user or developer not if the source code is made public. Stallman warned against the term 'open source' being used for this very reason;

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Cryengine is even more hilariously shitty about what you can do with it. You can only use it for "proper" games, so not stuff like KSP or flight simulators.

>hurr durr if I register a word.org domain I get to decide what word means

Yes, that's how it works. The open source movement was started in 1998 to promote the idea of open source. The idea of open source is to promote collaborative software development and this cannot happen fluently if the definition is simply "I can see the source code".

It's understandable from a business standpoint, they don't want a repeat of the Columbine school shooting incident where the media misreports about levels created to do practice runs in Doom.

One white nationalist Moonman style FPS, a Holocaust/Holohoax reenactment game, tank simulation for mowing down civilians in Tiananmen square, a pornographic game using minors etc and the brand is in serious danger if the media fear mongers about it.

While a FLOSS engine is legally protected the owners of a proprietary engine have the legal responsibility to protect their brand to shareholders. This is probably why there was an attempt to control modding not too long ago. The current free for all won't continue for long as gaming becomes more prominent in society.

This divide in creative freedom could be a boon for FLOSS gaming.

Oh of course that makes sense. You can't have 9/11 training simulators! But yeah that's why we need proper open source engines.

this user gets it

see

This is partially true

The other face of open source was to be appealing to investors since RMS views where seen has EXTREME by corporations.

Open source even if their intention was good has now a negative effect on the free/libre software world since it's more used has a Trojan than a solution to the users freedom.

These guys published open source games long before GNU was a thing:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Computer_Company

In fact, it was in one of their very own publications (Dr Dobb's Journal) that RMS published his manifesto:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Manifesto

Open Blades of Exile

Nice post, thanks.

I'd like to be down with PCC's philosophy but the anti-racism stuff is a real turn-off. This is the biggest flaw in modern left-wing politics, embracing identity politics for everyone but whites. It makes me sick to see the other ideas which are very nice having a boat anchor of anti-racism around its neck.

Here's a picture of a Jewish politician in a sports car after he sold out his supporters, which I think he bought less than a week after his party's national convention.

Well they're not forcing anybody to be anti-racist. I think their main concern was that all people had access to computers, no matter what their race or class.
Also, if racism was trully non-existent, then jews wouldn't get any special consideration, and you'd be able to openly criticize them without being fined or thrown in jail (if you live in western europe) or harassed to whatever extent is possible if you live elsewhere. So what's being pushed today isn't even anti-racism, it's a form of cuckoldry or submission.

I don't get it user
I didn't read stuff about anti racism in the link that posted ?

Also if their was, remember that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 wasn't that old and it could be justified in that time to had anti racism or what ever.
In our time black people and women can have any job they want they just need to like the job and move their ass like everyone and stop wining.

Man I can still jerk off to the old Lara models.

Reading about the PCC I'm surprised at how intertwined early PC gaming and Free Software movement is. Then there's also that Unix thing that was started because someone wanted to play Space Travel on a cheaper computer.

catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch02s01.html

Considering how influential this field was and still is it's unfortunate that the GNU project treats gaming as irrelevant. How many tens of thousands of young aspiring developers over the last few decades were stuck on proprietary software solutions when they wanted to try making their own games? They're unlikely to care about the ethical arguments or computing freedom having been raised in a locked down proprietary world.

Games were the main attraction back then, for hobbyists. And BASIC was nice, because you could learn enough quickly to start making games.

Bill Gates had written in BASIC. So I said: You've got to have these games;
it's going to be the heart of a computer that's worth anything to people."
gamasutra.com/view/news/216469/A_basic_history_of_BASIC_on_its_50th_birthday.php

Pic: popular open source RPG, had something like 250 adventures made for it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamon_(computer_game)