Intel HD Graphics

How good are Intel HD Graphics chips these days, particularly w.r.t Kaby Lake?

I ask because it's hard to find benchmarks on these things; only optimism on behalf of the manufacturer and review outlets. Intel claims you can run Overwatch on them, but I don't play Overwatch and don't know how demanding it is. I'd be looking to do rendering.
For what it's worth, videocardbenchmark.net bundles them all together, thus is useless.
Furthermore, if notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-620.172256.0.html shows that they're fucking garbage for gaming and inappropriate for Overwatch too, so opinions are appreciated.

More broadly, any anons have Kaby Lake? How do you find it? How are the laptop chips?

I know, but the context is high performance laptop computing (oxymoron, lel; as high as possible, give me a break man). I'll buy AMD gpu's for desktop, but AMD isn't in position to compete in the CPU market, despite the superiority of their architecture teams.

You could wait for laptop Zen CPUs.

There's no indication that Zen is competitive yet, is there?

There are some leaks. Also, even if they kept Piledriver exactly as it is, going from 32nm to 14 finfet would make it pretty good.

Ok, sure, say it's true. How do on-board AMD graphics compete?

They always have been better than Intel, m8.

Newer Intel stuff has VP8/VP9 hardware decode and VP8 encode. And official Vulkan support. And OpenGL 4.5. AMD supports none of those, radv is just the Intel SPIR-V backend shoehorned in to run on amdgpu.

Having said that, those are software problems. Intel will still rape you on the CPU side with its feature-binning, price scalping and broken instruction sets.

But AMD has 4.5 in the soon to be released mesa 13. Stoney Ridge has VP9 decoding.
Seriously, you should wait for Bristol Ridge.

Raven Ridge*

This is Shit.
You can buy any amd apu >=a10
if you plan gaming.
Nowadays there are a9 apu that
can play Blizzard games fluently.
Saludos

AMD Radeon Vdpau.
Why you want VPx codecs.
mvp $url -hwdec=vpdau -vo=vpdau

Because, my illiterate borderline-retarded slavic chum, I do more with mpv than watch Yify x264 rips.

kys

Go mad man you're using windows 8-D
#YOLO

Actually there's plenty of indication. Even some benchmarks. It'll be power efficient, and it'll be fast enough to make it competitive in laptops again. user is right: when AMD starts releasing Zen/Polaris APUs with HBM memory on them, it'll blow Intel out of the water in terms of graphics.

I can watch full HD VP9 on weak mobile llano APU (that's 5-7 years now?), when doesn't have extremely high bitrate. If you get any decent AMD APU now, 1080p video really shouldn't be a problem.

You're wrong. I have both an AMD E-series APU and an Intel Atom processor. Both are made for the same general market segment of low-power portable machines

Not only does the AMD E1 series generate more heat, meaning fans are necessary to operate it, but its also slower and runs at a lowet clock rate. And above all it has NO proper built-in decoding hardware

The Atom Bay Trails I have has a turbo speed of nearly 3GHz, has a full HD video decoder meaning it can play 1920x1200 video just fine, AND it runs fanless

You shouldn't need hardware decode just to watch video. If any processor in the last decade has trouble with 1080p playback, there's something wrong with it or your setup.

You're right, its called "I'm a retard with no proper decoding hardware"

Most processors made in the last decade, bar lower end AMD shit do in fact have dedicated decoding hardware. Its not a requirement, but the claim that a processor is able to playback even 1080p video through software is absolutely ludicrous. Try switching to the software decoder in any media player that lets you like VLC and then try playing 1080p video, I guarantee you that you will run into playback issues unless that video has a very poor bitrate.

Try using a non-shit-tier video player. mpv can handle 1920x1344x60 on my cpu just fine.

I bet the video that "plays fine" has shitty bitrate

Metadata: encoder : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1 creation_time : 2010-08-31 08:11:03 Duration: 00:35:30.59, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 9604 kb/s Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1344, SAR 1:1 DAR 10:7, 60 fps, 60 tbr, 1k tbn, 120 tbc (default) Stream #0:1: Audio: vorbis, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
McFuckYourself

Saludame al nene, trolito

You're retarded. Almost nobody knowing their shit uses hardware decoding, since you can't use filters/scalers without copying back to the RAM? You would know if you were using GNU/Linux, since VDPAU isn't the default.

they are pretty much perfect choice if you are not hardcore gamer... they are cheap, comes with motherboard... i play some older shit and its working fine even in wine.. and to mention, drivers are perfect on linux, kernel gives you 100% support for intel gpus

Sure, let me install xf86-intel-2.999.999.997 with SNA shitting the bed with older archs.

They're shit, almost as bad as AMD.

it's up to 2.999.999.998.9979-rc4 now, btw don't forget to skip the version where DPMS blank crashes the X server :^)

Currently, the very highest-end of Intels products have a performance level equivalent of somewhere inbetween an HD 7750 and a 750Ti. As for the AMD side, there doesn't seem to be a Bristol Ridge desktop release yet, so semi-stable benchmarks won't be available soon. Even then, AMD's APUs generally are around the same level of Intel's most expensive Iris Pro CPUs, so with the jump to a new controller and DDR4 memory, it should be a more substantial improvement over both Kaveri and Carrizo (though not as much as the much later Raven Ridge, which would be out somewhere around Q4 2017?).