Linux has NSA backdoors. Prove me wrong

Linux has NSA backdoors. Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof
sel4.systems/
youtube.com/watch?v=EjKnUOZ7ZN8
youtube.com/watch?v=C-hJ_3MvH7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=rssl5hbJI_0
youtube.com/watch?v=hx2xb_lD92g
github.com/torvalds/linux
raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/security/selinux/hooks.c
raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.1.fw.ihex
twitter.com/AnonBabble

low energy bait

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

So what launcher do you guys use for Android? Just switched after years of using a flip(rip in peace) and can't find one that works well with my autism. Already checked the wiki and using buzz at the moment.

You are right, this was is indeed a bad opening for a thread that was supposed to feature quality discussion.

Let me start again.

It is possible to modify arch/gentoo/whatever to fullfil the following criteria:
- basic computer capabilities like word processing, an email client, browser etc
- no proprietary software
- some sort of firewall to limit all internet connections not needed and/or comprehensible

How can you be certain that there isn't (i.e.) some sort of hardware backdoor destroying all your attempts to have some privacy?

I'm lazy so Trebuchet, but I gotta admit it's getting shittier over time.

one liners belong to the sticky

They can have backdoors in hardware, and so don't need to backdoor the OS. But those might require individual attention, for high-profile target. Then again, with the "internet of things", it's not yet clear how much of that hardware/firmware is already wide open. Some of it is, for sure, and I don't trust any of them.
For software, it doesn't get much more backdoored than Windows 10. That's 99% of the people they can read HDD infos from at their leisure (if Microsoft can, so do NSA and similar).
They also probably have subverted some standards and protocols, sort of like the OpenSSL "heartbleed" case.

I don't to know much about TCP/IP shit, but wouldn't blocking all ports execpt the ones you use work for this?

To be fair, you can't know if hardware level botnet exists, because of proprietary hardware, hence why many are advocating for Free (as in freedom, not, price) Hardware. There's some potential for it in the future, with RISC and the like.

That's what I'm thinking too.
What I don't understand is how people trust software just because it's open source. I mean of course you can read it - but who does that for the 500 packages you have installed? kinda new to all of it, so please excuse obvious things I might miss here

I agree on the internet of things and Win 10 stuff, but thats not of interest for me.

sounds like something to look into, thanks.

You can't be sure there's no backdoor. The modern PC hardware is too complicated and full of dubious shit, in addition to decades of exploitable cruft (the memory sieve bug got ring -2 access that way). Then the modern OS brings its own set of complications and bugs.
If you want to be sure, get an old machine. You'll have to forget about web browsing though, except something like "lynx -dump" to extract the content (plain text), run on a Unix shell account machine and then download plain ASCII text to your old computer.

You need to distinguish between privacy and security. They're often related, but not at all the same thing.

The kind of hypothetical backdoor you're talking about affects security but it barely affects privacy. It means that the NSA/FBI/whoever can use the backdoor can compromise your computer if they want to, but they're certainly not going to use that to spy on you if they're not already very certain that you're doing illegal things. Using it to scan your files if they think you're distributing CP or leaking state secrets would be a good use of the backdoor, but doing that when they don't have any kind of suspicion would be a bad idea. If you use a backdoor you run the risk of exposing it.

Such a backdoor would be a huge security issue but not much of a privacy issue because it would only be used in exceptional circumstances.

It is possible to write software that's guaranteed to have no backdoors, by formally verifying it. That's extremely hard and tedious, but it has been done with a microkernel:
sel4.systems/
There's nothing near a formally verified full operating system, but maybe one day we'll get there.

Is there a group dedicated to verifying free software for botnets and backdoors?

what exactly do you mean by old machine?
something like your pic?

Even though this seems very plausible I still find it unsettling.

You nigger, the burden of proof is on you. Don't come in here and accuse me of shit, man. Fucker. I refuse to comply with this low energy bait. Come back with some proof then we'll talk ok?

Oh no doubt

Everything up through early 90's PC with ISA bus, which includes some low-end 486 systems without PCI slots.
And also computers by Commodore and Atari from that era. Probably Apple Mac also. These three all used same processor (Motorolla 68000 series).
All of those can do some level of graphics and sound, even animation and 3D rendering. Also video editing in the case of NewTek toaster-equiped Amiga. Here's some nice videos if you're not familiar with those:
youtube.com/watch?v=EjKnUOZ7ZN8
youtube.com/watch?v=C-hJ_3MvH7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=rssl5hbJI_0
They've got a bunch more videos about even older computers too somewhere on youtube. Here's one about C64:
youtube.com/watch?v=hx2xb_lD92g

I guess you could probably also count some workstations by Sun, Digital, SGI, etc. but those will probably cost a whole lot more.

Would it be possible to use some non-compromised hardware running known good software to act as a firewall? It could at least cover your ass for most ports, and the open ones you could monitor.

Wouldn't the best firewall be to have physical separation, to have your computer be offline? You have a networked computer for transfer of encrypted files and an offline computer for using those files. The possibility of exploitation becomes much less but the USB device used to transfer files should be periodically reformatted completely on a GNU/Linux machine to prevent some kind of malware getting on board the thing. Now hiding encrypted data using stylometry with proper distribution of the data across the unused bits of a picture file is something that I imagine is the technique spies use and have used for the last twenty-five years. I think it is the reason places like 4chan are allowed to exist. Most of my rare pepes probably have Hillary Cliton's encrypted communications on it, the server in the bathroom is probably a decoy to throw us off of the official policy positions... in WW2 MI5 trained about twenty young women for espionage in Germany and purposefully gave them false invasion plans, then told the German Intellegence thru the use of double agents where they would be airdropped. The young women were predictably tortured for information and executed as spies... I'm sure that such deception operations could still take place today.

I have thought about the same, however, that seems just not very handy. Say you are out of your house a lot: You have to carry two notebooks or you won't be able to do anything.
(also remove the wifi card in of them I guess which could be kinda annoying with most models since they tend to be glued nowadays instead of held together by screws.)

Security and convienence have an inverse relationship

github.com/torvalds/linux

NSA likes to make people think they back doored everything. Copied that right out of the STASI handbook. This is not true however. In reality they are highly incompetent. For example, ISIS recruits and does business on facebook with normal phones and computers. All the terrorists attacks happened despite this all knowing tech they have got. Later we always hear they were "on the radar". Suuuuure.
They buy 0days from companies, they don't make them themselves, because they can't.

Sage for claiming, but not proving linux is backdoored.

This is literally made by the NSA:
raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/security/selinux/hooks.c

There are also things like this:
raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.1.fw.ihex

You'll have to do a bit more than point to the source code.

Somalia has colonized the moon. Prove me wrong

To me that sounds like it was made by private companies all over the world that wanted to use selinux.

Also, if you have a problem with firmware blobs, use linux libre.

That's the copyright information. Any software created by the US government automatically belongs in the public domain, so the parts written by the NSA aren't copyrighted.

wew

Where can I download the XKeyScore source?

USB itself is too complicated to be trustworthy. Use something simpler, like floppy disks, CDROM, backup tapes. Even cassette tapes or equivalent (you can also store the data in FLAC or WAV file).
Anyway all computers with USB ports are already too recent and can't be used as the basis for "known-good" system.

Good thing I use GNU+HURD

Linux doesn't have NSA backdoors. Prove me wrong.

/thread

apex launcher.
You can get the outdated version in Fdroid or the updated version in Google-Play.
Don't worry, I already tried firewall-logging if the app phones home or transfers anything but it didn't so far. Just be sure to block every app that doesn't need connection with AFWall+ like a launcher.

Ku-ri-su-ti-na
Anyway I wouldn't recommend USBs. USB devices have their unique identifiers sent to Microsoft when the PC is exposed to internet connection. Microsoft knows what brands of USB devices user uses together with the location where it was plugged in. No matter how many times you format, the metadata embedded inside that states "this is X brand and the drivers required for X" cannot be wiped. One way to prove this is everytime you plug in a newly formatted device it doesn't reinstall the local drivers.

This is used to trace notorious hackers and pedos who uses their OS. Even if you go on a public PC rent cafe and plug your device in Microsoft would know that the hacker or a pedo went there once. SD cards are by far the best culprit here.

The other way around.
It was made by the NSA and shilled to private companies.

Linux has no NSA backdoors. Prove me wrong.

Quality info thanks

You must have a very fulfilling life...

At least its not 4chan

A hardware backdoor would still need to send/recieve data, something you'd see with wireshark and the like.

And the only place where you see this is in proprietary software, where you can actually see encrypted streams going out to destinations you don't pick.

i looked at the source code for mine and didn't find any

Yet namefags are still a thing.
kill yourself

Only if you run that on a clean router between the compromised device and the Internet. Intel's ME has its own virtual network interface bridged to the real one. It can send and receive packets invisibly to the operating system. Do not use the chipset-integrated Ethernet controller, use a discrete network card running a non-Intel chipset.

Are you just talking about CPUs that don't have negative rings? I'm pretty sure ARM processors that don't have TrustZone would be safe, and even the ARMv6 and ARMv7 processors with TrustZone should be safe as you still have complete control over the lower rings. ARMv8 however does add a secure monitor in a ring of its own. It should also be noted that some PDAs up into the early 2000s used the Freescale DragonBall CPU which is just a dieshrunk Motorola 68000.

saged because troll thread

Has there ever been anyone who has seen anything ever?

Selinux as a place for a back door is retarded, there are much better and less obvious places for it dipshit

Try to form coherent sentences before you sit at the big boy table.

Perhaps the issue is your ability to read; either that, or you have no response and just want to derail the argument.

Of course not.