Self teaching programming

do i stand a chance?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/1593274076//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=nethta-20
oodesign.com/
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/
shop.oreilly.com/category/series/head-first.do
alvand.basu.ac.ir/~dezfoulian/files/Programming/Prentice Hall - The C Programming Language- Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie, 2nd ed., ISBN .pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

With enough motivation, you can accomplish anything.

Just don't expect fast results. Also, you'll never be done learning. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine. You'll be frustrated a lot.

yeah but people are like "programmers are super in demand, two years of freecodecamp and you'll have a job"

i don't know man, are programmers really in THAT high demand?

Gee, I don't know.

look man, i don't know, i'm coming from a construction background, what i am saying is it just sounds to good to be true,

if i go this route i would be compete against guys with DEGREES from universities, so i think a little skepticism is healthy.

You can teach yourself fucking anything you want with enough drive, motivation, determination, what have you, it just takes time.

Honestly if you're expecting to get a high 5 five, or six digit job from teaching yourself to program, then forget it. Unless you go back to a university and challenge the course requirements to show you already know to program, then your self-taught programming skills will be all for naught without any connections. The hiring manager is going to take the prospect with a bachelors of masters over the guy who "claims he can code," any day of the week.

exercising after a study session improves your ability to retain the information learned

so i should go down the "the programming club" and make friends?

Better hope one of those turbonerds befriends you quick, and already has a job at a fortune 500 company.

read this :^)

pickles,

i'm doing

codecacademy
freecodecamp
code.org
and some intro classes by MIT.

am i smart now?

any one can learn how to be a code monkey.
what separates the good programmer from the bad is knowing how to code in a sustainable way, manage a project, and most importantly know what the client want. what he REALLY wants.
Also cute knee-socks are mandatory :3

useful links:
amazon.com/dp/1593274076//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=nethta-20 great book for understanding the basic principles in writing code and logic.
oodesign.com/ Desighn patterns for solving common problems/writing sustainable code.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/ shit ton of information for writing modern websites.

i'm not a tranny, so i'm fucked?

Cutebois make the best programmers this is a fact.

lul

But I guess a non-cuteboi could become a decent programmer as well ;P

hey man gotta start somewhere.

Maybe if you make the next snapchat or something OP…then, maybe then…

so go fuck myself basically? programmers aren't in any great demand and self taught assholes like me don't stand a chance?

OP here, your telling me,

shop.oreilly.com/category/series/head-first.do these books are great.

If you are self thought getting a permanent contract is going to be though. But you could always become a free-lancer (contractor) and hope you get offered a place after finishing a contract somewhere. see embedded related.

they are in great demand but not many people will take you seriously without the papers to prove you can do what you say you can do.

hahahahhahah

fuck that was too funny

right but that's the thing with programming, your supposed to be able to just make a youtube channel and show your creations, do contract work and have references,

what i have been told about programming is that it's far easier to prove you can do your shit just by showing them the programs you have created.

so what is it?

Hey, that's a good idea. I didn't think of that. Go for it, faggot.

The thing is people with a degree usually also learned how to manage a project in some degree, deal with clients, how to work in a team, and most self-thought coders are usually just brain dead code monkeys which are cheaper to outsource to India.

You sound like you've got a healthy perspective on the idea.

IT guy here, this industry is not like it used to be. It used to be very much dominated by meritocracy, that if you had the chops that was all that really mattered (degrees and even personal hygiene playing less a part than today). It also used to require very smart, technically minded people. Neither of these are true anymore.

If you are a white male, just give up now. You won't even get an interview, and if you do, enjoy training your eventual H1B visa replacement (until the God Emperor fixes that shit).

Those at the very tip top saw that smart, educated, experienced IT folk basically have the world by the balls in this techno-future we live in, so they've been working tirelessly to lower the bar of entry. Thus easier and easier programming languages, more references to outside black box solutions, more gluing other people's work together rather than writing your own.

Soon enough AI will be a major assistant to programming (making things easier, simpler, more visual and less abstract), then a necessity to program at all, then AI will just take over the programming itself entirely. "Computer, write me a video game with the following parameters" or "computer, write me a program that does X" or even more likely most people will end up in something very similar to the Matrix.

i see, i don't know if you know about freecodecamp, but i went on there and they talking

"finish freecodecamp and you will get a job GARUNEETED!!!!"

this made me suspicious, so that's why i came on here, i imagined that the little stuff, project management, teamwork, that bullshit would be the shit they don't tell you about.

i believe you,

but i still have bills to pay,

so i don't know, if the world doesn't need programmers, why so many resources for self education if IT'S JUST A WASTE OF TIME!?!?!?

I'm not saying it is a waste of time, I'm just trying to tell you how I see the state of the industry today and in the near future.

The economy is fucked no matter what, so do what makes you happy. AI and automation will replace all blue collar jobs first, then the white collar, and by then the only people with money will be the 1% of the 1%.

So choose which career path you'd like to starve in. Programming is as good as any, and may last slightly longer than anything else you're considering.

lol

There are seven billion people on the planet. Let's say half of them are too young, too old, or for whatever reason are unable/unwilling to work.

Can you compete with 3.5 billion other people?

Is it possible to learn how to program in assembly all by yourself? I'm not OP, but self educated programming is something I'm attempting at too.

I have a friend who graduated from one of those code bootcamps. University knowledge don't mean shit when learning web development. There were people in that bootcamp who graduated from Uni and still had to do bootcamp because abstract programming concepts do not translate into real world skills.

Yeah sure, there are a lot of tutorials on the internet and once you get the hang of how shit works and more importantly: works together, you'll be coding like a pro!

Just for shits and giggles I'm gonna tell a story from when I worked in IT of a small business.

Oh, and the nephiew didn't return to work, I think he got fired.

Of course it's possible, you just need to know yourself well enough to know what type/method of learning works for you and what doesn't. Personally I can't do with organized lessons at all, if I can't learn it by doing it I'd rather not even try, but everyone's different. I learned web design simply by editing existing codes a bit and looking up a detail or two on Google and piece by piece everything came together. I never picked up a book or had a single lesson, if I did I probably wouldn't be at it anymore.

My GF had a degree in Logistics engineering. Got a masters in it. 3 years no job. Took a 6 month coding course, is working in a company doing coding for the electrical grid.

I got a degree in medicine, but didnt want to be a doctor. Got a job working in a company doing POS stuff. No education/degree in programming at all, but in depth hobby for a very long time.

What people are saying is right. It takes time and hard thinking, and you will never stop learning.

I am

You are only correct for entry level jobs. After 1-2 years of work experience, the degree means literally nothing unless you've got a phd+research behind you and are working in the cutting edge. And even then, its the research doing the talking, not the PHD

Drawfag here…

I got like an honest question here, I lpve fucking drawing and shit. But I saw that everyone on tumblr was an artist… fuck. Anyway I always struggled between choosing Art vs CompSci… evenly I made up my mind and decided to go for compsci (college and shit) while I just improve in art on the side (books and shit).

I have no experience in compsci other than print = "hello world";.

You think I could make it? I'm willing to go through hell just to see what I can do with computers and art…

Why not learn to code and make indie vidya?

Software is an artform.

There are labors of love out there, like undertale, that show that clearly (that the creator saw it as art, and made it so)

I think coders get paid better than artists, and there are graphical areas of coding (animation, 3dsculpting, 3ddesign, etc)

fucking gay faggot

Is this really true? We're are the pictures? What proof of these claims do you have?

Use your drawing skills in the computer science world, market yourself as a scribe or a visualiser and do that. Check out Scriberia, who I sometimes work for, for what I mean. Big businesses pay pretty well for this. I often get £250-300 a day plus expenses and decent food for scribing or in-house concept drawing. You also get to learn interesting stuff and be at the frontline of new innovation.

Because that market is over saturated. If you want to make money as an intendant vidya/apps developer you either need to be extremely lucky or know the right people.

Specialize in something few others do and you have a real chance. Overlapping skill sets stack really nicely, esp when you bridge two very different fields (right brain art AND left brain CS).

Everyone is gay for linetrap bump.

Wiping out the minorities would make things a lot easier

Seriously nigger?

..and make THE friends?

Take it from a CS grad: unless you're a drooling retard, you will be a thousand times better off learning programming yourself than taking courses at any school, whether it's a special "programming school," an individual course, a community college, or a four-year institution (ironically, four-year colleges are the worst of the bunch).

Learn C first. C is a good language if you want to work on interesting projects or get paid, and the only good C programmers are those who learned C first. C programmers who started programming by learning Python are Java are the reason behind 90% of memory safety bugs.

I'd recommend "The C Programming Language," which was written by one of the guys that created the language. You can get it for free here:

alvand.basu.ac.ir/~dezfoulian/files/Programming/Prentice Hall - The C Programming Language- Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie, 2nd ed., ISBN .pdf

I'm fresh out of college and make like 60 a year.
80% Of what I know I learned myself. I use udemy quite a bit, all their courses are pretty solid and worth the money.

That being said, you are fucked without a diploma. People aren't even going to look at you if you can't show that on your CV.

Also, what said. What really helped me was learning assembler languages (x86/x86-64 and ARM are the two main ones). It opens up a lot of doors with in fields like reverse engineering and security, which tend to be more lucrative than most areas of CS and have better job prospects. Depending on if you're an autist, assembly will either be more difficult or easier to understand than other languages. I'd still start with C though, then work on x86-64 assembly if that's the path you'd like to go down.

Anybody can learn CS, it just requires a lot of time and effort to become enough of an expert in the field that you can become a professional. There's a reason for the stereotype that compsci people are nerdy autistic permavirgins. People with lives usually don't want to devote thousands of hours to learning how hardware and software works.

I found it easier to learn assembly than other languages, and I learned it on my own. It's possible, you just have to want to do it badly enough to devote the time.

People who can write decent programs in a variety of languages, including low-level stuff like C, are in demand. From experience, people who can do more esoteric stuff like assembly are definitely in demand, because few people do it.

People who can shit out a Powershell script or throw together an HTML page are not in demand. If that's all you can do, you're competing with the Pajeets in a field where quality isn't important, and they work for ten cents an hour. People whose only programming knowledge is Python but who call themselves "programmers" are the reason behind the meme that programmers can't land jobs or make money.

It's all about having the motivation and sheer autistic curiosity to do something difficult that not many other people do.

this place should die