Self-insertion

am I right in thinking that any story has to at some level have self-insertion on the part of the viewer in order to be any good? I can't ask people irl about this because it's kinda embarrassing to admit I pretend on some level I'm the protagonist of whatever I'm watching.

I was with my mom an hour ago and she was watching Dancing with the Stars. Obviously doesnt translate well to discussion of movies,but I was thinking "what's the appeal? what's going on in her head while she watches this?" and all I could imagine was she imagines herself on stage. It's really depressing thinking about other people doing this, but it's what I do all the time and I really doubt it when people tell me they never self-insert, it just seems really autistic and robotic not to do it.

I do this with video games and movies so much that my favourite games and movies are based solely off which offered the best power trips and gave me goosebumps/frisson/butterflies(for romance), examples being The Raid, first two Bourne films, MGS2/4 I know I'm a fag. Not to say it's just for action, I get this from Vision of Escaflowne for a great love story/

Pic related I self-inserted as pretty much every male character at some point to varying degrees in Naruto (outside of Sasuke, Orochimaru and Kabuto). before anyone complains about me putting anime in OP they DON'T allow discussion of Naruto on /a/. Also I don't watch anime it's just Naruto is the classic example of self-insertion for me because of how the story is told. the only places I've talked about naruto with success are Holla Forums and 4chan's /vg/ [spoiler]shameless self-promotion for our Naruto Storm general ;_; [/spoiler]

Self-inserting, whether from the writer or audience, is cancerous to film. You aren't there to think "woah man, I could totally picture myself in that situation and acting the same way, it's like the writers get me dude!", you are there to watch shit and then go home.

that's not what I mean I'm talking about films giving you a power trip. Are you telling me you can't understandpeople saying when they watch Jason Bourne beat someone's shit in in front of cute girl they're not thinking "wow that's badass" on some level? I mean you don't have to get goosebumps like me but everyone AT LEAST did this when they were kids and I think they still do it.

the problem I get with people saying they don't do this is they act like a narrative story told through film is like a spectacle, like watching a magician perform a trick. It's not it's a story.

Not everyone wants to use entertainment for escapism.
by the way pic related

fuck off /a/!

and again I just don't believe people when they say this. not everything gives me goosebumps like when I'm completely cut off from reality and experiencing full escapism but even when I'm not able to let go I'm still self-inserting. what the fuck goes on in your head when you're watching an action film, "hurr I like explosions"?

I'm doing that thing where I reply to each individual post again. brb couple hours.

I'm talking about Naruto you faggot.

it can work some time
hajime no ippo's creator was an actual boxer and owns a gym(s)
so i'm guessing that he self inserted himself as kamogawa

Um, no. The whole point of story telling is to apply lessons to your own life. A self-insert is logical.

I'm not even sure what the hell else you'd do a story for.

I'd insert your self, if you know what I mean

Wew, OP is a literal homosex faggot.

Self-insertion is bullshit, just play a video game RPG if you want to self-insert.

I'd say it's the other way around. Autists have the tendency to get all absorbed in fantasy worlds. Normal people can watch and appreciate from a distance.

I watch movies mostly for escapism. In real life I'm a faggot with a weak personality. I'd like to be a dashing no-shits-given action hero that fucks faggots away. So no, I'm not self-inserting as in "I'd act just like that in that situation", I'm self-escaping as in "I'd love to be like that someday, even if it's not in myself to be like that". Sometimes I end up on the other side, like when the character is so fucking dumb that nobody (I) would ever act like that. That's when I self-insert, and for the wrong reasons, since it's distracting. Like, I know something that the action hero does not, so I assume the action hero should know, but he doesn't because of hollywood cliches and no moviegoer left behind, and it's annoying.

For entertainment? Not every story has to be about you.

This self-insert shit is one of the reasons why people are pushing ugly chicks, betas and trannies in movies more often by the way. Because these faggots think they can't relate to a character unless they're just as pathetic as them. They don't care about characters that are actually likeable, interesting, or someone to inspire to.

Self insert is shit. Any time I hear "I just can't relate to the characters!" it makes me want to kill. It's completely typical of liberals, which is why most hollyjew shit is so bad.

That's equally cancerous. I don't want to be the character, I want to cheer for the character, and I sure as fuck don't want my escapism to preach at me.

*aspire

the whole point of storytelling is to tell a story and entertain a crowd you stupid fuck. getting a lesson can be done as well, but should never be the main purpose.

kys

anime goes on /a/

Literally me tbh