Plan9

Why aren't you using the future of operating systems? Plan 9 has no botnet, and no bloat.

You can install it easily with an iso or on a usb drive, and has intentionally removed all of those pesky features of most operating systems for your convenience, leading to increased productivity with your time. Many versions of plan9 are compatible with mothra.

With linuxemu you can browse even the bloated wild web, if for some reason you would want to do that. Plan9 is the way to use a computer without a bunch of bullshit getting in your way.

Other urls found in this thread:

realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2
trumpbsd.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

and no drivers

See >>>/templeos/ for a joke OS done right

Why run Plan 9 when I can run Inferno? I can run it on top of other operating systems, and it's so obscure it doesn't even have a flag on Holla Forums.

Almost every idea in plan9 was bad. It's why almost none of them were copied. It's different for the sake of being different, the ultimate hipster OS.

Came to post this; using it in a VM is just not the same. You'd think that fixing the driver issue would be easier now that Linux drivers exist, but then you realize how the whole open source thing is a big fat sham.
Seriously, go to Realtek's website*, download the sources for Linux and open src/r8186_n.c in your pager. Skip to rtl8168_hw_mac_mcu_config, scroll down slowly, and despair. This shit might as well be closed source.

I might consider OpenBSD soon, but Plan 9 will have to wait, sadly.

* realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2

BSD is the future, Plan 9 was a nice concept.

But there's a point to using inferno....

I made some questionable decisions

BSD died in the '80s.

Flight plan

Crashing this plane.
WITH NO SURVIVORS

If I reply will you die?

it will be extremely painful

It would be extremely painful.

for who ?

For you

You're a big guy

Damn you anime girl you mock me at every turn thats just not nice.

for you

Anime mocks me everyday thats just rough.

Reported, all of you.

TempleOS isn't a joke though, it's a real attempt to make modern C64, for poor kids who can't afford a decent 8-bit computer and are stuck with modern amd64 junk and overcomplicated OS.

Its an OS made by an actual schizo, you do realize this right? And there are much better "Modern C64s" out there, the C64 wasn't even that cheap, it cost over 1k adjusted for inflation. We have plenty over computers for poor kids today like the OLPC

Every computer of that era is expensive when you adjust for inflation. But C64 undercut the competition at one point, when they were trying to take over the market. That seemed to work a little in USA, but not so much in europe where computers by Sinclair and Amstrad continued to remain very popular.
Also that OLPC is overcomplicated junk compared to a real C64 (and even to a 90's 80386 PC with old school ISA bus), and especially the Linux OS is overcomplicated.

Have you ever even owned one? Loading discs required a long BASIC command. BASIC itself was too rudimentary for a lot of programming tasks and required PEEKs and POKEs for a lot of functions. The only thing simple was loading programs from cartridges. Even tape programs were more complex, you had to type Play and "Press Play on Tape" which would take sometimes up to 20 minutes to load a program to RAM, then you usually had to run it afterwards

I didn't have a C64, but my first computer was an Amstrad CPC 6128. The floppy disks were plenty fast enough for me. It had "CAT" command to read disk catalog, but your complaint about obscure commands is moot in light of how obscure stuff is par for the course in Unix/Linux.
Programming was a lot easier than with modern languages. The machine came with a comprehensive BASIC manual, and I even learned enough asm to write bare metal serial comms program (I was like 14 or so). It helped a lot to have a simple 8-bit system with plain serial port, not overcomplicated monster architecture that's got 40 years of legacy shit and insane stuff like USB (good luck writing a driver for that).

Wow stop fighting gramps and get along

It's not really C64ish, it's more like Turbo Vision. I used to use it back in my Borland DOS days.

Oh man, I recognise those dumb fucking proprietary floppies. Had a beige one with amber screen back in the day, it ran LocoWrite or whatever the fuck that was called.

"Simple" in computing doesn't mean easy to use.

Pretty neat. I started with a C64 but never got into asm with it, only did basic. Started doing asm on an XT, made simple movie-virus things like a TSR that would at random intervals cause all the characters on the screen to fall into a heap at the bottom.

Trump's bringing back the '80s, BSD will be great again.

Make /usr/ports great again!

trumpbsd.com/

just linking to >666666
pls disregard

nvm :(