Amiga

How viable is the Amiga platform for use as a main PC nowadays Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2014/02/16/steams-vac-protection-now-scans-ans-transfers-dns-cache/
games.slashdot.org/story/14/02/18/1512234/gabe-newell-responds-yes-were-looking-for-cheaters-via-dns?sdsrc=rel
techdirt.com/articles/20071228/020818.shtml
kahunaburger.com/2008/01/02/the-adobe-spying-debacle/
youtube.com/watch?v=pxi47Ut1gCQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_instructions_per_second
youtube.com/watch?v=NeESf9aCZHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BkqFOwqca4A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends wholly on what software you need to use to get you through the day.

The only way you can know is to try it out. Just fix up an emulation and try it for a while. If you find all the software you need and it works for you, all good. Cheers, to comfy.

Say basic tasks at home, like having a chat program, or a web browser capable of rendering modern pages. Streaming video is probably beyond a stock Amiga.

Is it okay to use proprietary software if it's not mainstream?

It's okay to use proprietary software if it works, there's no reasonable FLOSS alternative, and you have no reason to believe the proprietary software is doing something malicious.

But Photoshop also "just werks". Steam also just werks, sometimes, but there is no libre alternative for it.

Most proprietary software shouldn't be doing anything malicious, but you surely know better than that, right?

And using both of them is fine.

I have no reason to suspect that Photoshop and Steam are doing anything malicious. I do have reason to believe that, for example, Windows _is_ doing something malicious.

There's a difference between 1) not having any reason to believe something but believing it anyway, and 2) believing something because there's an actual reason to.

Not. Although just last weekend I wrote a small bit in Interword on a UAE clone of my old A1200. I figured that if successful writers used old wordprocessors, I should give one a try too.

Strangely enough it worked somewhat. I think it's the lack of distraction/temptation that makes writing somewhat easier. On modern OSses there is just too much stuff begging for attention, even if it's directly not visible you know that browser is just one click away.

What about Lutris through?

Checked.

It took Windows until ~2003 to catch up with the amount of Viruses and Malware the non-protected-memory-spaces-zero-OS-protection Amiga had..

It's also a system that's really from a Dark Age before Free Software took off, and its stay-backwards-compatible-with-the-68008 system just really doesn't have enough marbles to be a comfy FOSS box-- GNU ports were few and far between, and it isn't something you can just ./configure with.

Also Furfags.

From what I have seen, it seems like you still require Steam to download and install the games, so this just seems like a glorified unified launcher, which is nice but certainly won't kill Steam in a while. It seems it also doesn't support PlayOnLinux Steam, so what's the point?

Hmm yeah right it misses a few other stuff like communication, forums, chats and so on.
While it doesn't support PlayOnLinux it has support for Wine at least, well I'd say there is at least something that is on development for now which is better than nothing as it would take a good amount of time that such a software becomes in a useable state for the general public or so.

This feel really gets me. I should really try increasing the minimalist feel of my Linux installs (already using Awesome WM and do a lot of work in the terminal), but good luck achieving anything close to it on Windows. That OS is so given to distractions that I wonder how normies get work done on it.

Bad news: if your browser isn't one of the big ones like FIrefox and Chrome (and related forks, etc.), then you're a second-class citizen as far as the modern web is concerned. And needless to say, those won't run on a stock A1200, and probably they won't run well even on one with a '060 accelerator with maxed-out memory. We're talking about something that's equivalent to an old school Intel p5 from the early/mid 90's. No way is that going to keep up with the typical massive amounts of javascript on every page, along with SSL encryption. Then there's the ludicrous RAM usage these browsers require nowadays...
But for chatting on IRC, browsing with Lynx, and so on you should be ok, given enough memory (just the 2 megs chip ram probably isn't going to cut it, unless you do everything logged-into to a Unix shell account).

It doesn't have a web browser that can handle modern javascript heavy web sites. It's too weak for HD video and modern video compression. It will struggle with pictures over one megapixel. It might struggle with lossless audio formats. There are certain to be some compatibility problems with modern document formats. It does not have support for any kind of DRM.

Otherwise, you'll be fine.

Contrary to popular belief, most websites work fine without javascript. I am using FF with noScript and I rarely need to whitelist things to read content of website.

You mean classic Amigas or the modern post-Commodore Amigas?

Modern Amigas are still being made and development of AmigaOS continues. But uses PowerPC processors and the AmigaOS 4 platform which is different from the classic AmigaOS 1-3 and it perfectly capable of handling modern programs

The latest AmigaOS version for the classic M68k series CPUs is AmigaOS 3.1.
There are a handful of browsers still being maintained and developed for it, but they are mostly shit like the text-based Lynx. if you want hipster-hacker cred then go for it

Say hello to 1999 for me.

Lynx isn't shit man. It's the modern web that's shit. You dig?

Prefer classic, but anything post may as well be mentioned as well. Morph OS looked interesting.

That's only because you have no idea what's really going on

ghacks.net/2014/02/16/steams-vac-protection-now-scans-ans-transfers-dns-cache/

games.slashdot.org/story/14/02/18/1512234/gabe-newell-responds-yes-were-looking-for-cheaters-via-dns?sdsrc=rel

techdirt.com/articles/20071228/020818.shtml

kahunaburger.com/2008/01/02/the-adobe-spying-debacle/

Is this the next hipster meme after CRT monitors?

one off m8

For real though, its a shame people don't want to take the time to get a quality CRT for themselves to compare and see the difference. Not a cheap department store one, but a PVM or even a regular video monitor. They only crimes they ever committed were being too heavy and using more power.

TL;DR: People want cheap monitors.

I had CRT's throughout the 90's. I don't see this magic.

How little do you want to do? I don't think people realize how weak older computers like that can be. Something that old is going to struggle with things people take for granted today such as playing MP3s unless you have a seriously upgraded Amiga 1200, javascript for websites is completely out of the question, you will even see website load times increase considerably if the website you're connecting to uses SSL/TLS, and you may even see your computer struggle with having multiple web pages open at the same time due to the amount of images.

Firefox isn't even usable on an early 2000s laptop with a 1 Ghz Celeron and 256 MB of RAM any more. It starts paging like crazy and takes over 2 minutes to load the first page of Holla Forums, there's even a delay between pressing a key and that letter appearing in the address bar when just at the new tab screen.

They may be viewable if you are linked to them, but most major websites now days have other major features break such as navigation.

you'll be playing lemmings and worms on it anyway

Yeah but just imagine the revolution soon we'll have people doing all their computing on the amiga platform. The future is in the past here.

I keep having nice dreams where I'm using an Amiga 500 and just floppy disks. Then I wake up and I'm trapped in the botnet again.

Lots of great games on there. That's how I first played Loom and Monkey Island back in the 90's.

youtube.com/watch?v=pxi47Ut1gCQ

Video about an upgraded Amiga 4000, which costs an arm and a leg and is much more powerful than an A1200. Doesn't seem like it's viable for typical modern use.

Don't even need to watch that. The 68060 could barely keep up with a 486 at the time, so even if it could run at 3GHz, instead of 50MHz, it would still have trouble getting probably 5% of the performance of modern CPUs.

68060 is closer to a Pentium than 486.
Actually even the 68040 outperforms a 486 that's clocked higher. And a much older 68030 is on par with a 486 at the lower end.
Motorola 68030 9 MIPS at 25 MHzMotorola 68030 18 MIPS at 50 MHzIntel i486DX 8.7 MIPS at 25 MHzIntel i486DX2 25.6 MIPS at 66 MHzMotorola 68040 44 MIPS at 40 MHzMotorola 68060 110 MIPS at 75 MHzIntel Pentium 188 MIPS at 100 MHz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_instructions_per_second

After 68060 they went to PowerPC, so it doesn't make sense to debate how far a 680x0 can be clocked since that was never the plan.
And I gather modern Intel CPUs aren't very close to 486 either, since they're supposedly RISC underneath the hood.

I miss the disc reading sounds.

...and that's before the Amiga's planar video graphics eliminated it from the glorious DOOM era of gaming.

A faster '60 was shitwaste if it took 32 times longer to write pixel data over a 486+linear VGA.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you could afford an '060 card, then you could probably afford a 24-bit RTG video card as well, since those costed quite a bit less.
Actually I think CD32 even had some kind of chip (expansion?) for chunky graphics.
But quite frankly none of this means a hill of beans to me, since I basically operated my A500 like a western-style Famicom with only floppy drive (no cartridge slot).

I'm sure someone has made some kind of 80s and 90s tech ASMR ambient noise deal.

youtube.com/watch?v=NeESf9aCZHQ

Well here's a video with some Amiga floppy drive sounds.
youtube.com/watch?v=BkqFOwqca4A

I used to have a CRT until very recently. It eventually died so I had to buy a new LCD screen.

I don't get what all this CRT fuzz is about. My old monitor was the greatest shit I have ever seen. It flickered when you looked away from it (75 Hz), never managed to adjust it to the screen correctly even after 30 minutes of pressing buttons, sometimes it would even change sizes after running for some time, admitted resolutions weren't as "super infinite HD" as people like to praise (in fact, 1280x1024 seemed its tops), and worst of all, it was such a fucking joke the image would warp depending on the amount of white or black on screen.

Most people say "just get a free CRT from Craiglist!", but after I tell them how bad my old CRT used to be (have to admit it lasted some good fifteen years), they would change their version to "well, you just had a cheap CRT. You have to get a GOOD CRT!". It's almost as if they are blinded by placebo or hipsterism.

I used dual Mitsubishi & Sony 21" trinitron CRT (ie, high-end) monitors at work for years, fucking die already. CRTs are inferior. get over it.

Beautiful

On GNU/Linux there's fs-uae, a amiga emulator that also emulates drive sounds.

Even if this were objectively true, nothing is worth how much these behemoths weigh. You want a good sized """""decent""""" CRT? Expect something over 200lbs. Hope you have a sturdy desk or stand.

It just isn't worth it. 1080p and higher resolution flat displays are always better.

That sounds like your CRT was having power issues. I also don't think I've seen a CRT flicker when not looking at it that wasn't also having other problems. My recent experience with CRT monitors is from playing around with an old Macintosh SE I got for cheap and my TV because it was cheap and I have no reason to replace it.

Yeah sounds like it's messed-up. Even the Commodore 1084 monitor didn't flicker, unless you selected interlace mode.
I even used the RF modulator for hooking up to various TVs when I was travelling, and no flicker there either. Granted, in this case the picture was much more fuzzy, and had to switch to low-res (60-column text mode) for Workbench to be usable. Even so, I could do regular stuff like draw in Deluxe Paint and comfortably type at the CLI.

If you're mostly planning on doing offline work, it'll do the same shit it did when it was new. Though I still don't think I would pick an Amiga for anything "productive" other than maybe niche standouts like DeluxePaint, for the time and money spent basically gutting those anemic things and filling them with accelerators, scandoublers and other upgrades just to get them up to spec you can get yourself a nice Sun, SGI, or hell even an A/UX capable '040 Macintosh from the same time period that will get you a lot more mileage while looking just as "retro" and fun to play with.

Unless you're just into the games, the platform, or you're a europoor that can get a nice '030/'040 big-box one cheap enough, then go nuts.

I know a guy who up to last year subbed anime with an Amiga.

Underage kid who never had a CRT.

CRT monitors for PC at their largest (~21 inches) weigh 60lbs tops.