Does death nullify everything about life? How do you find meaning in life when it ends forever?

Does death nullify everything about life? How do you find meaning in life when it ends forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegoldwater.cuk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Everything you put into yourself will disappear with you. To last, create things that will propagate into the future, be it children, memes, endeavors or crafts.

Like mass murder?

Why do you bother to eat when you will just be hungry again? How can you enjoy a fine meal knowing it will just be feces in a few hours?

shill

I just try to be nice and avoid bad things. no fear. to heaven we come.

that's the point little lamb
it ends, do what you feel like doing within reason
don't hurt other people, unless they want to get hurt

i'd rather live than merely last.
what good is posterity to a corpse?
to paraphrase Camus,
the act of dying makes a nonsense of everything we have ever done during life. knowing this fact gives us the right, the duty perhaps, to fully exploit every opportunity for pleasure on the earth.

pseudo-intellectual quotation-philosopher
neither love nor wisdom in any of this

just because we are going to someplace nice later doesn't give you a willywonka golden ticket to be an asshole for no other purpose than being an asshole

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.

nah, you're miles off. litt. is one of my many passions. camus is a giant and i credited him to avoid plagiarism. i shouldn't have bothered. you'd not have recognised it and might even have evaluated his thoughts with an open mind.
how frustrating it must be to be trussed and gagged by prejudice and ignorance. you and i have nothing in common and that's how i like it.

How you view death will dictate your life. If you truly believe there is something after this one, death suddenly loses some -though not all- of its negative impact.

If you don't believe in something after this life, then life only has the value and meaning you choose to give it. If it doesn't mean much to you, then death will nullify it. If there is some greater goal that pursuing gives you pleasure, then your life will have a greater impact and meaning.

So lads what do you think happens After death, nothing, reincarnation, or becoming one with the universe?

thegoldwater.cuk

Your consciousness and sense of self a a product of the working brain. When it falls apart, the function ceases and so does everything that made you an individual. Once the neurons unravel, what was a person becomes biomass. There is nothing metaphysical to it.

atheism: the post

There isn't a meaning in life..We just exist..You can always set goals but in the end life has no point

I was going to give my opinion, but this post stated it with more eloquence then I would have.

You just fell into the idiot trap that is nihilism.

What in your opinion is the meaning of life user??

Idiot question. You don't even understand the nature of "meaning", where it comes from, how it is created, where it resides, how it works.
It objectively exists, something nihilists deny.

Yeah yeah what's the meaning then you fuccing cocksucking bitch faggot:

Whatever you believe in.

Not the user you replied to, but it sounds to me like this is just playing semantics.

It's neuroscience.

So is the implication that nihilists deny that people feel that some things are meaningful to them?

They ignore that and how the brain works.

Because the fact life has to end is EXACTLY why life has meaning
listen to old Alan Watts tell you whats up

I thought that something like subjective meaning wasn't foreign to nihilists. I thought the idea was that for something to really exist, it would have to be more substantial than just existing in one's thoughts.

Thoughts are physical.

But do not exist outside of you. It's all fine and well to say that it objectively exist, but it differs from person to person. It's the same as saying that I objectively have a hand, but nobody bothers calling my hand objective.
With things like meaning, as I understand it, people do actually bother saying there is such a thing as objective meaning. A meaning that is the same to all people, regardless of their thoughts or opinions on it. I thought that was the thing that nihilists deny.

That's where the idiot trap is. Nihilists I always encounter just declare "There is no meaning!" and think themselves oh so superior, yet fail to understand what "meaning" even is.

And then they use that declaration of ignorance as justification to go full selfish instinct animal without morals or self control.

And to me that's where the semantics lie. If when saying "There is no meaning!" they use the word meaning to mean "Transcendent meaning that lies beyond any and every (human) person", then that statement is fine. Or it seems that that's something we both agree with.
If a lot of people use the word meaning to mean what they do (in that sentence), I don't see it being an idiot trap.

Well that sounds odd. I guess I don't know any nihilist who took the time to think about it and choose to identify as nihilists.

that doesn't mean your brain doesn't exist, or your lungs.
Thoughts are literally physical, and can theoretically be observed, and has one some levels

What I meant is that it exists, even if it exists inside of me.

That doesn't make any sense. The same could be said about if there was a God. There would be no meaning to life or paradise, other than "God's will". The same meaning could be found with a girl playing with dolls.

Yes, but no objective lungs exist. IMO nihilists just mean to say there is no meaning outside of a person. Like "meaning of life" and all that. There is no meaning universal to everyone. Just like there are no objective lungs, lungs outside of living creatures.
Makes sense?

As in, even if there was God, that there would just be personal, subjective meaning?

I think you have something confused. I would like you to define 'meaning' and the nature of it, so we could see if it objectively exists or not

I think you mean "purpose"? The reason as in WHY it exists?
That answer would have the same fallacy as in "then what created god?"
and then I could see what you mean, it has no uttermost sacred purpose for existing blah blah blah.

It doesnt make life meaningless.
As other has stated make meaning

Braver men have tried…

Meaning of life: something that makes life worth living. Talking about life in general; so anything that has life and has the intellectual capacity to decide whether it is worth living or not, the reason it's worth living is that one particular thing that we call the meaning of life. If that thing did not exist, we would all have to conclude upon a ration consideration that we might as well kill ourselves because there is no reason to live.
I think that is the notion that nihilists attack. Just to be clear though, I have not read any philosophers on this, so maybe I am wrong.

I guess you nailed it, see

I don't disagree. I'm just saying if the nihilistic "There is no meaning" simply means "There is no meaning outside of a person's mind (hence no ultimate meaning, no purpose, whether there is a god or not)", well then that sounds fair.

There is no outside or inside. Everything is part of the same universal system of causality that is reality.

Meaning is (like other, similar constructs) a superimposed set of information connected to a piece of information, forming a construct in the brain. As an example, a word is the sensory information of a sound, which has other information connected to it. "Meaning of life" and "purpose of existence" are more complex structures. These structures (you could call them memes) exist within the individual brain and can be propagated through communication.

See, I don't know that I disagree, but here is where you are arguing with the religious and some particular philosophically minded people first and foremost, in my opinion.

If and when God ever decides you are ready to embrace freedom/love/eternity (???????) happens and you basically find yourself to be the most beautiful and true representation of yourself that you couldn't have ever even imagined, and yet you feel perfect and good about yourself forever more. you find yourself at (metaphore) a giant endless hotel. there are many doors in its hallway's and only one belongs to you while the rest belong to infinite amounts of other conscious intelligent entities, some of which used to be "ordinary normal boring people" like you, very long ago.

your door contains a special area of the eternal beyond infinite universe where you find that everything is perfect in such a way that you are extremely happy in every way including ways that you could have never imagined. you are able to experience anything you want to and will experience things you didn't even know existed automatically and you are always completely free from what you personally define as "suffering". you can experience (inadequate descriptory term): "anything" especially what is considered as impossible. it goes without saying that you also can experience things that you missed out on during your life on earth and you are able to also experience better versions of everything that has ever or ever will exist. a bad publisher corporation that makes terrible video games (I know already what you think of) and you play one of them and do not enjoy it. In heaven you can play the same game as if a perfect company who didn't exist made the game and all the content that was removed because of bad playtesters is restored and a perfect amount of special new added content is available.

it isn't a good way to describe it, but your "pocket universe" has a built in system that automatically generates an entire universe of people that are perfect for you for every situation or thing that could ever happen. similar how a game may autogenerate different ai characters depending on your actions, however instead the people generated are as conscious and real as you are, but their purpose is to populate your pocket universe and they feel just at home as you do.

your universe generates endless unique adventures and are just as endlessly enjoyable. you can play, or be in any video game or movie even if they never existed but will automatically be created as you go and they will always be "favorite tier" or greater. basically you are always safe no matter what. there can be specially generated types of conflict that make the adventures special and fun but you can turn this off when you want peace so there is never any real danger or problems or issues in the world/universe.

to be completely clear: even if something or anything describable or indescribable does not exist, you can still do that "good" thing as God generates it for you because God knows what makes you happy. It's always the feeling of being given the perfect gift.

there are special trees of different sizes that grow all over the place in the universe and can survive in any environment or where there is no environment. they are alien and beautiful and are essentially "giving tree's" that are auto connected networks of universally saved databases of redundant backups of everything that could ever exist including every new food you have discovered. these tree's can grow different things including large coconut-like pods that the tree gives to you by moving its tentacle branches to hand you a fruit which then disconnects from the tree and lands in your hands. you can open the pod whenever you want, or save it for later and it never goes bad. the pod opens automatically when you want it. the pod almost always contains exactly the food you were craving. sometimes the pod is a surprise and contains a food that you didn't know you were craving but is perfect. sometimes the surprise isn't food but something else special entirely that doesn't normally belong in a pod or a tree.

also since there are unlimited unique enjoyable experiences you also always find new "favorite or better" foods that you didn't know existed and all sorts of cool alien fruits and vegetables and plants and some of those fruits behave as if they were potions and some have some very fun temporary effects (or permanent if you like them) (can be toggled on and off whenever you want) some fruits even grow as alchoholic by nature.
the fruits have special abilities that you "know" when you hold them that will allow you to customize yourself.

if you wish to do so, you may leave your door and visit other people's/friend's/family's "home universes" if they invite you or give you permission to enter and you may leave simply by willing it whenever you please. you can never be harmed and will never experience something you wouldn't want to even if you don't know it exists. time doesn't exist as it is just an illusion of our earthly fake matrix universe and so you always are able to automatically plan with everyone. if you meet a friend in their universe at "later- but not now" to them, it's as if you showed up when they wanted you too. same goes for everything. there is no way to be late to anything or miss out on anything that is meant to involve you and that is how infinite people are able to coordinate and meet up and never neglect each other's company. even if someone wants to hang out with you, you could wait for what seems like a million years and when you go to meet with them it will be as if you showed up instantly from their perspective. whenever you want to hang out with someone is when they will show up. (also, you are unable to become lost from your own door to your "home" as you will always find it next to you when you are looking for it) (your door only lets you in, not others, unless you give permission) (if others go inside your universe they can't do anything that you wouldn't want them to do even if you don't know they could do it) (others who are visiting can leave and nobody can trap anyone or make anyone experience anything they don't want to even in each others "home") (nobody is able to damage or ruin anyone's "home" because God doesn't allow it to happen, and even if it did it would just fix itself perfectly or revert to a previous untouched state instantly without any problems)

also, you still go to the bathroom but you don't produce anything dirty. instead you produce clean byproducts. think "clear gel objects or clear liquid"

in heaven:

you can have basically anything you want whenever you want. oh and heaven has loads of sex. you can eat all the food you want without getting fat. you can even play as the first person in any of your videogames. even if you can't imagine all the beautiful limitless impossibilities and wonders you can experience, God automatically transforms and directs the environment around you so that you never ever become bored or depressed or feeling any lacking. you are finally able to experience the feeling of true ultimate freedom. you never have to worry if you will have a house or money or food tomorrow. God has written God on your heart and you just know God.

another fun fact

another interesting thing about heaven
since everyone in heaven is in their most true form / forms depending on how complicated you are, Strangely (answering yes to some who might be thinking of this question) Yes, there are "furries" in heaven. the great thing about heaven is that everyone is able to be themselves, no matter how weird they are, and everyone is just cool with everyone. also, in heaven, gender isn't represented in the same way as it normally is in society as we know it today. futanari totally do exist in heaven, and again everyone is chill or doesn't even give a care. there is a huge amount of diversity in heaven and you might see and meet alot of different weird and cool wonderful and extraordinary people but it isn't forced artificial diversity like on earth, it's just different people just being cool, and nobody thinks a second thought about it.

I want others to start mentioning anything they remember from their own hotel room. if you don't know or remember anything it's okay, don't say anything.

when you go into your "personal hotel room home" there is a transitionary period that can last as long as it needs to for you to adjust. this is basically (even though heaven is pure healing and love and everything good) a period of adjustment so that you can become beautiful and special again and wash away all the "yuck" if I can simply describe it. this is like going to school except its not like "wrong" school from earth but rather like a school where everything is happy kind of like, funny enough- a school from a japanese anime. you can't be failed, and you will pass eventually no matter what.

greentext description:

What a pile of useless spam. Sure hope that's pasta, because holy waste of effort batman.

I know that someone else will read it. read my internet lips. not a single worry.

bump

asdsyftwui oqcvyqbwu ffwef qgf 67q2e6 13r3

A preacher's blind faith.

someone will read it and it will touch their soul. even if one person reads it, I feel nice that they know the truth. shills and naysayers don't bother me in the slightest. in fact you can tell who the trolls are by how against good information they appear to be.

Do I get to hang out with The Weeknd and do drugs with him in heaven? Do I get to be a notorious serial killer in heaven?

So, I'm just gonna quote this and say that's pure shit.
Seriously.
Thinking that you can believe this make me seriously ask myself if god isn't just a flying spaghetti monster.

Anyway, try Buddhism. It will maybe not help you to know what's beyond death, but it help a lot wit anxiety and depression.

And at least it doesn't take 4 awful copypasta and don't look like a sect.
And you can do drugs to help with new meditation points.

does a piano song ending nullify the piano song?
no.
so why would it work that way for life?

Life is a beautiful piano song.
Sure its short, but that does not nullify its beauty.
and the fact that it is for a short time, and likely will only happen once only increases its value.

Hey this guy knows what's up

great book, highly suggest.

the spirit is eternal bro, it will live even after the body is gone, you will be limitless the body is the limit, that's why it's a prison for the spirit.