Reminiscing about the old days

ITT: we talk about and post memories of the old days of imagebaords. Anything from pre 2012 really. I know that that's not exactly old but things were still different back then. Pre 2007 or so is even better.

>tfw you remember when attention whore females would get coaxed into posting tits with a timestamp, put a shoe on their head, put a sharpie in their pooper, livestream an hero, and all sorts of stuff
We were just a bunch of guys posting online anonymously. Some of us were just underage bait and others were old dudes with nothing better to do. Now we have influenced a presidential election. Oh how times have changed.

Other urls found in this thread:

s27.postimg.org/8u6r2a0wz/meme.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

stop user you're making me cry

I remember when cp used to get posted in threads on Holla Forums. Nobody would post except the person posted them. It was like everyone was fapping to the pics. Then slowly people started to beg for it to be posted and finally the white knights came.

Sorry, user. I too miss those times.

I was 10 when I started lurking back in 2005.

I think the reason the internet was significantly better back then was because the people were different. Today the internet is filled with soccer moms, niggers, politicians, left-wing hacker faggots from Berkeley California and nuMales

Back in 2005, the internet was filled with a whole different group of people, it was made up almost entirely of businessmen, college fratboy dudebros, reckless teenagers without adult supervision, Doom veterans, counter-strike, WoW, and early Pokemon players, and right-wing "hacker" types from the BBS days who were metal heads like John Carmack before he sold his soul to Jews

It was just such a radically different group of people that occupied the internet back then, and some of these groups are still around, but they're ever becoming outnumbered and their influence on internet culture is waning. The internet died because the demographics that made it good died. The general population of internet users these days are superficial losers who only care about getting the most likes and can't tell a good goddamn joke and has to shoehorn politics into everything

Then again I think the world has just become more political in general since the early 2000s. Maybe it was the succession of Bush, then Obama, and now Trump thats driving everyone nuts. I'm hoping having a Republican president again will be a callback to the Bush era but I wont hold my breath

We need a new internet.

>tfw too Holla Forums illiterate to darkweb

Anyone have good screencaps from back in the day? I lost all of mine long ago. I'm using jewgle to find some.

Pedos killed the darkweb too. I know what you're thinking "But there were pedos on the clearnet back then too!" Well those pedos weren't obnoxious retards

I have a lot on my old HDD but I'll have to set it up first

Is there anywhere left for us besides Holla Forums? Holla Forums sadly isn't great beyond Holla Forums. Holla Forums gets some decent threads every now and then but it's just not like it used to be.

i used to have so many ridiculous pictures saved on my laptop, but they were wiped when i crashed it.

gents, i hate to say this, but i think our only option might be to go have a normal life

Newfag.

I remember the first time I watched the grifter.

Lurk moar newfag

Nope, the internet is dead. Sounds grim, sure, but you'll have to find that zen and learn to deal with the fact that nothing good lasts forever.

Thats another thing. Back in those days there were also less NEETs than today I think, you don't have to be a token superficial normalfag to have a job. Having a life while also knowing how to use the interwebs back in those days is why we have so much incredible OC from that era and so little good OC today

Oh wow you're right. Still saging though.

it doesn't help that the public's perception of what a meme actually is shifted so radically

they all just assume it's a picture with captions on it.

The same thing happened to me.

I literally don't know how to do that. I also hate normies and don't think I could ever norm like them.

This feel hurts me. I am feeling pain.

Thats another thing too, is urban legends like the Grifter worked on the early web because, although the internet was smaller back then, search engines also weren't as comprehensive and hell, mainstream news didn't even start covering viral shit until around 2009, so the internet felt a lot larger than it actually was.

This is by far the most painful thing thats happened to internet culture

fucc incomplete thought

I wanted to add that I believe the best analog to the early web and its culture is the American Wild West. It was lawless, felt larger than it was, and was full of mystique and legend. Then the law came and brought city folk and tamed the west. The internet became tamed and lamed

sure, fam

lol retard

we have this thread every day week

this reminds me

anyone have the old screencap of the guy calling moot a newfag and getting banned for it? shit was lulz.

ouch

fucc, that alone brings back way too many memories

Remember when we could create hox tutotial things without the media instantly finding out and ruining the fun?

Found one with a post from some idiot who did it and almost killed himself.

I didn't say "alt-right" you fuccing retard
kill yourself

same shit, different asshole

I remember that. Was only like 15 so I recall not feeling that guilty or weird for fapping to it every so often. The threads would get removed, but not before a couple hours had passed. Random other shit:

- regular "things you think only you do" threads, when original stuff was still being said in them. also when cyoa threads were still novel and the choices not totally done to death. faproulette 'rollin' puns when, again, new ones were still possible

- creative threads that fostered OC with quality templates and stuff, most famous example being the red leader standing by one. others i remember: some kid talking to a bully outside his locker, hagrid binoculars, takes a crane to get out

- I was in some project where a bunch of anons (150 or so) made fake facebook accounts and pretended to all live in/near thief river falls (small town in MN) for the purpose of eventually propogating fake news stories that the media would hopefully pick up. i remember gaslighting and fuccing with actual residents of the town that eventually came into contact with the huge web of mutual friends. eventually, like every Holla Forums project, people lost interest and it disbanded, but they were always fun while they lasted

- moot claiming asuna as his waifu when SAO came out. not sure why but this sticks out in my mind as one of the last communications from him before he left halfchan

- as far as /a/, there were plenty of great moments when certain shows were airing like geass and haruhi S2

lol, I remember there was a whole class of ones like that, e.g. microwaving utensils if you had difficulty with frozen foods. but you can never tell if the "i almost died/burned my kitchen down" posts were legit or not

I remember thinking like that. "We're both the same age."

I miss the days when people actually contributed to projects just for the purpose of fuccing with people.

Except on the occasions where they provided pics.

Anyone have the one of the guy who heated a spoon and ran it under cold water and had it explode and destroy his hand?

One day I will be old and telling my grandkids (if I ever get laid and have kids) about the old days. About when the internet was just starting out. Holy fucc this makes me feel old and I'm only in my 20's.

damn, forgot about the fortunes too

yea i guess i mean you can't tell if the person was actually convinced or not. i always figured they were just willing to destroy or damage a microwave/counter/some dishes or whatever. might sound unlikely but look at all the "will it blend/microwave" video crazes in recent years. people will piss away money for laughs/views

How do I stop this nostalgiadepression? I don't like this. I want to go back. Everything is changing.

Am I going through a mid life crisis? I'm only 22.

leave permanently for Holla Forums

I'm not even underage, don't know why I avoided chans for so long, missed all the golden years i suppose (except for the election)

You missed out, bro. It was fuccing amazing.

The kind of content you long for, could you produce it anymore?
I doubt it.

I don't think we're even halfway there, it's only going downhill from now.

>>>/bunker/999

Please do not lewdpost at me

that's the early 90s faggot

The TC/IP protocal and thus the internet was invented in the 1970s actually. It wasn't until the mid 1990s however, that WorldWideWeb, the worlds first web browser, was developed. Before that the internet was used for BBS, Usenet, P2P, and FTP. Remember, "The Internet" and "The Web" are two distinct things and are not to be used synonymously

sage nigger

here is a rare antique meme: s27.postimg.org/8u6r2a0wz/meme.jpg

no, that's just you.

I had more and a bunch of demotivationals but hard drive died 2 years ago and I could never recover from that loss.

typing in img.4chan.org/b/

/rs/ /z/

frames which you still can use btw

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
Eternal September or the September that never ended[1] is Usenet slang for a period beginning in September 1993,[2] the month that Internet service provider America Online began offering Usenet access to its many users, overwhelming the existing culture for online forums.

Before then, Usenet was largely restricted to colleges and universities. Every September, a large number of incoming freshmen would acquire access to Usenet for the first time, taking time to become accustomed to Usenet's standards of conduct and "netiquette". After a month or so, these new users would either learn to comply with the networks' social norms or tire of using the service.

Whereas the regular September freshman influx would quickly settle down, the influx of new users from AOL did not end, and Usenet's existing culture did not have the capacity to integrate the sheer number of new users following September 1993.[3] Since then, the popularity of the Internet has brought on a constant stream of new users and thus, from the point of view of the pre-1993 Usenet users, the influx of new users in September 1993 never ended.

The term may have first been used by Dave Fischer in a January 26, 1994, post to alt.folklore.computers: "It's moot now. September 1993 will go down in net.history as the September that never ended."

We can always start another experiment user.

Question: Is a cum-based diet sustainable?
Hypothesis: one could probably subsits on cum for a prolonged time. perhaps an extra week longer without food.
Method: I will go to a gay bar everyday and have them fill a water bottle full of cum. I will then proceed to subsist off the cum until serous starvation takes effect.

A better one would be using psychological conditioning to become sexually attracted to door-knobs. AKA: jizz on a door-knob each day untill you become naturally attracted to door-knobs.

better one: catch a pet frog and use negative reinforcement to make them fear regular food. then make them desire to eat cum and only cum.
That way pet frog never starve.

So many ideas. So little time.

i put text on imaeg

Before moot became judas.

Those days are gone OP.
Perhaps, however, we will still see good shit for our time.
Perhaps.