BSD 11 Release Date

I love the BSDs but this is ridiculous lol. How do you miss this many release targets? Even poo in the loos with the utmost UML Java don't slide release dates this hard.

Other urls found in this thread:

download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/
wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=3bsd-10linux&num=4
netbsd.org/gallery/research.html
freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/announce.html
svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.0/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not showing in the OP image but the October 5 release date was cancelled, now it is October 10.

It's out lads

download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/

They were probably waiting for the `svn co` to finish

That release is stillborn. They're going to rebuild it.

ha.

Release dates are anti-pattern.

Oh OP, you silly goose. They were simply inspired by Fedora!

They're an effective way of getting people to hurry the fuck up and finish their projects. People are great at starting things, but they need motivation to jump the last few hurdles.

OpenBSD released their anniversary version a month too early, because they had no bugs left to fix.

Easy to have no bugs when you have barely any software.

still no drivers, i cant play starcraft on wine, waste...

Which is not a bad thing, when your goal is a system that's easy to maintain.

They are absolute cancer, there is no good way to determine how long software development will take. So engineers overestimate time needed to give themselves time if some shit that is not predictable at start happens.(also, if you overestimate then you are hero for deliverieng before scheduled) Managers always underestimate time needed because it makes idea sound better than it is and they will not be ones who suffer consequences of such estimation.

They're hard to get right, that's for certain. Sometimes though there is just no getting around deadlines. The best middle ground is using a soft deadline that you can aim for, and not caring too much if you're within a range of error.

So this might be a good time to ask.
Is FreeBSD ever going to get LUKS support?
Because that's pretty much the only thing that keeps me from using it.
inb4 GELI
That only works on FreeBSD, and I need it to work on Linux as well

So they were 3 months behind schedule and this is a tragedy? Debian often gets a year or two behind and people actually use it, unlike FreeBSD.

What the fuck guy, why would they want it? They already have something far superior with ZFS.

It has come to that, sadly.

I just don't see much of a reason to as it's now so far behind Linux in almost every way. Performance, features, usability, they're all lacking. bhyve still doesn't even handle graphical consoles despite support being over a decade old on Linux. Look at the clusterfuck that is installing Windows as a guest:
wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows
Imagine troubleshooting RDP failing on a server that's been up for a few months, it would take forensic tools.

I am aware of that fam. I have a lot of old back up drives that are luks encrypted, so either I need to keep one linux machine and do backups over the network, or I just don't use FreeBSD until it supports luks.
If DragonflyBSD can do it, so can FreeBSD.

Performance is just fine for most things, not everyone likes these benchmarks, but you can see here it doesn't lag behind linux in much, and wins out in many disk tests.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=3bsd-10linux&num=4

Features and usability mean different things to different people, but they certainly have a smaller developer pool so they focus on the server side at the expense of laptops. I don't have much experience with bhyve, but I much prefer BSD jails to any of the linux container solutions.

I'm not a fan at all of jails or containers. They're poor security as they have a huge surface area notorious for holes protected entirely by software. I'd rather just pay for more ram and use kvm.

I flipped my shit when I learned about Zones on Solaris and Jails on BSD, you can spin these things up with templates in seconds with no resource hit, branded zones and linuxulator jails are crazy too.

Can you elaborate? They're as secure as you configure them which by default is pretty restrictive. I wouldn't say they're notorious for holes in the same way I wouldn't say that about anything, you'll only ever hear of a compromise never the lack of one. Reports of people saying things like "don't do this specific thing like I did" much like they do for a lot of software.

Containers have a bad rep because linux handled containers like absolute retards.

Containers aren't really containers in linux, they're an abstraction of cgroups, which meant before it got more standardised the teething issues were huge.

Zones and Jails are different beasts, built from the ground up to be secure.

Containers as a concept is better than kvm, it's not just about ram, plus using templates is fantastic.

How does the power consumption of FreeBSD compares to a modern GNU/Linux with TLP and powertop?
Are there similar tools on there?

FreeBSD power consumption is at best an afterthought, the only BSD with good power consumption is OpenBSD because they dogfood on thinkpads.

What about NetBSD? Always thought it would be cool to run an OS powering space stations projects.
netbsd.org/gallery/research.html

It's officially released:

freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/announce.html

But aren't the isos in the ftp the exact same Sept 29 versions as before?

That's really strange, yeah they're all dated Sept 29. I think they fucked up for a second time.

This is strange too.

Please note, as a result of the timing between the withdrawn FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE images being available before the official announcement and several last-minute issues being discovered, uname(1) will display FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p1, as the images were generated from a patch-level revision of the releng/11.0 branch. Users that have installed FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE from the images originally available on the mirrors or from freebsd-update(8) prior to the rebuild of the final release are urged to upgrade their systems to FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p1 immediately. Users upgrading from system source code should use releng/11.0 revision r306420.

The latest revision in SVN is 307004, not 306420. Do they want people to use the old ISO's and then patch afterwards?

svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.0/