STORYTIME

NEW MUTANTS (2003)

GET IN HERE, FAGGOTS.

WE'RE READING SOMETHING GOOD TODAY.

I think Sofia is a qt

2003, eh? I think I only really started hating comics on 2005, so sure, I'll read.

Laurie is also a qt

Wait, Venezuela has COPS ON HORSES FIRING GUNS? That's fucking SICK!

Wow, that felt like a short, complete story with a beginning, middle and end all in ONE ISSUE. Just like comics used to be! This was a good choice, OP, I'm enthralled.

Thank you. This was one of my favorite runs of X-Men that didn't focus on the main team, but rather the students.

This is also the series that introduced some of my favorite mutants, like Wind Dancer, Wallflower, and Elixer.

Kevin is like Rogue if Rogue's powers sucked

Look at the fucking furry in the first page! Actually, I guess the furry mutants have it easy. There is always someone who wants to have weird, kinky sex with them, but they probably don't have a power that could immediately blow up a building or eat someone's soul.

look at those triple dubs

Now, THIS is how you introduce a new set of profitable, exploitable IPs.

That cover is badly traced.

And the colourist had no fucking clue about how to shade the arms and did it god fucking awfully, mainly because the asshole artist (who traced them anyways) gave no anatomy clues because he doesn't fucking know the anatomy.

How can this shit sell?

To be honest, the covers are not the best thing about this series.

Mm… this is getting interesting. Even if the art is kinda weird at least it has some real storytelling, something marvel lacks these days.

Keep goin OP and god bless you.

It's so good but so pozzed, help.

It's weird, this book hits all the notes that SHOULD be pissing me off.

and yet I can't help but like it, even though it has all the same basic elements as present-day SJW crap

I guess that's what good writing can do for you.

Because once upon a time there was something called good writing and Not-Pushing-An-Ideology-By-All-Means-Necessary. It was long time ago and probably nobody remembers tha age, but it surely existed.

I'm happy you guys are enjoying this run despite the small dips into "muh minority status". It is a genuinely good story with engaging characters, things that today's comics are, for the most part, extremely lacking.

I have to go to work soon, so here's Issue 10 to tide you over until I get back home.

I know he still got mauled to shit, but Josh has got some serious game.

Hm… even if the story is well written I can't help but feel that every character is an horrible person, maybe because they are all teens?

That's not true. Sofia and Laurie are nice all around.

Well, I can admit that. It is ironic the only two teenagers that aren't cunts are girls.

This book goes through artists faster than a death camp goes through jews.

I hope they come up with a better explanation later, because that's fucking retarded.

It is bullshit. It's just his secondary mutation. Now he can heal from anything.

The whole "golden boy" thing is just Dani projecting.

I remember hanging around a message board/fansite dedicated to this book as well as the forums for it on places like CBR and ComiXfan. I can't find the posts now becuse this is 13 years ago at this point but I remember the writers getting asked about the Kitty/Shan relationship getting nixed on one of them and they basically said they wanted to do it but had to drop it because they knew the Kittyfags would get pissed.

First appearance of Pink Blob Guy. He was this, well, pink blob that Barberi just drew randomly and kept putting him into the backgrounds of scenes where he had his own shit going on like having a girlfriend or during the Parent/Teacher visit having a happy reunion with his parents. Fucking loved that guy.

I honestly like Randolph's art. This issue is kind of wonky because he was brought in to do fill in shit at the last minute. He drew the last couple of issues and they look better. I'm glad he's doing Mosaic and his art is a reason I'm actually looking forward to that book.

Samefagging here but…

This comic is legitimately the reason I read monthlies. I'd been into comic shit as a kid (X-Men especially and some Spider-Man) because of the cartoons and vidya and shit but I never had money to get comics regularly. I fell out of comics for a while because "HURR DURR ANIME" but got back in thanks to Justice League on CN and X2. I went looking up more shit related to the comics and wound up taking a liking to the OG New Mutants cast. I saw there was a new series, downloaded the first few issues off of whatever file sharing thing (Kazaa or Limewire at the time? One of those pieces of shit) and really liked it and since I could now purchase comics I went back, bought the first four issues I downloaded, grabbed the fifth and I've been buying regularly since then.

I think it can be a bit clunky in spots to read and the teen drama can be a tad cliche but I absolutely still think it holds up in terms of writing (art was always its big problem) and I still like going back and re-reading it and Academy X every so often. I love most of the characters, especially Wallflower, and the series just holds a strong sentimental aspect to me.

Loving this series so much is why I hate the Yost/Kyle run so much. I think you can tell who read the DeFilipis/Weir stuff and who didn't based on their thoughts on what came afterwards. I think people who generally read the first stuff will be more ambivalent to Yost/Kyle while those who didn't will love it and think it's one of the all-time great X-Men runs.

Personally I hated the way I felt like they shit on all of the character excessively. I know they were trying to harden them up but it had the opposite effect in that it completely ruined the characters since writers now only see them as PTSD-riddled jackoffs who break down emotionally at the first sign of danger. I'll also never really forgive them for killing Laurie.

Thanks OP

Everyone has huge tits Not complaining though

Depends, what these Omega level nonsesne mutants can do as a whole?

Omega means a mutant who has no potential upper limit on what they can do with their powers. A guy like Wolverine can't be an Omega level mutant since he does have a limit but Iceman or most of the powerful telepaths like Jean, Rachel, Nate, etc. don't though.

Basically Omegas are the guys who are controlling/messing with the very primordial forces of nature itself. Elixir doesn't just heal, he's outright altering genetic codes and the building blocks of all life.

… so, this is raise-the-dead, extinguish-the-sun, Charles-son-that-can-rewrite-reality levels of power.

Theoretically, the Mutie still need to learn using the power, and barely any Omega reaches that point before being written out, killed off or depowered.

Like Iceman is Omega level and can in theory heatdeath the universe, but he would still need to learn how to go about to heat-death the universe, which could take years/eons.

To put it more simply, Omega level is having a Magic Spell without a level cap, but you still gotta grind it up to be good.

Jubilee is/was also Omega level because her "Fireworks" basically work on a concept similar to a super nova or something which means she can theoretically create solar systems using it when properly applied, or it was Big Bang, was ages since i read about it.

Some Omegas hit the jackpot with easy to use powers, some are basically Z-Lister fodder despite the potential, it is actually pretty arbitrary aside from character shilling.

It is wonky as shit, Tempus is only "Near-Omega" despite being broken as fuck, which i think because her power, however broken, is still just limited to the specific area of her bubble, while a "true" Omega with the same power would just have it span the universe or limit it at will.

I hope that makes sense.

Kinda does.

Also makes me wonder if she had the skill / imagination / raw output to make city-sized bubbles…