Over the Garden Wall

Never saw this show being discussed on Holla Forums.

What is Holla Forums's opinion on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IDUp2sAWreQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's good.

I guess thats the reason why there weren't any threads on it

The ending sucked.

elaborate

It was good. If it had gone any longer, it probably wouldn't have been as good.

It told it's story, it was enjoyable, and it wrapped things up decently.

I liked almost all the episodes and characters, and the voice actors were pretty good.

It was a good show, and I do not regret watching it.

It's a good show that managed to tell individual stories even with the 11 minute constraint quite well. It also helped that there was an overarching plot of escaping and actually ending with them escaping. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and characters. Even the dumb kid became tolerable towards the end. The music was also good.
The only thing I didn't like were the Tumblr noses. I guess someone could argue that it's supposed to look like 1930 cartoons.

Overall very good/10 a short but sweet experience. If you haven't seen it just watch it, it's only 2 hours if you marathon all the episodes. If they ever wanted to make a new season, it should be in a completely new world, but I would rather they wouldn't do it. It would most probably taint the original series.

There isn't much to talk about, except whether it was a dream or they were in purgatory. I personally think they were in purgatory since in the end the frog has the bell inside it's stomach and we see how the woodcutter meets his daughter, seriously that scene almost made me cry.

It didn't look the way it did because it's meant to look like 1930s cartoons. That would have made the cartoon perfect.
It's because the people storyboarding and doing the art of the characters were inept idiots. Natasha Allegri worked on it. Actually, you can tell exactly which parts are hers.

It would have been better if the person brought it somewhere else. Maybe Disney? Or if he waited for the cartoon industry to maybe not be so shit.

I happened to be in the hospital, due to kidney failure, when it aired, and it was one of the things I remember watching when I was in a very weakened, emotional state. I was able to stay up for all of it, but the days before I had been in out and out of consciousness, so the dreamlike quality of things was something that worked well for me. It was a charming, short experience that I'll always remember, partly because I think it was really good, partly because it was just on at the right time to have all my attention. So I look back rather fondly on the show.

I also kinda look back fondly on that Scooby Doo Wrestling movie, because they had guys like Sgt. Slaughter in the background, but unvoiced. I watched a lot of cartoons in that hospital bed.

Disney would've stretched out the ten episodes over a whole year if they'd gone to them.

we're all going to be dead and gone before that ever happens

youtube.com/watch?v=IDUp2sAWreQ

I love Samuel Ramey's voice as the Beast. It wasn't dark or evil but it seemed to have a singsong quality to it that made me a little uneasy every time he showed up.

Everything's better now, right user?

TBF, that only really applies to GF

Yeah, I'm pretty good.

bitch stop pretending you're tough, we all cried with that shit

I think what made The Beast such a good villain, besides his voice was that he was a manipulator, not a fighter. He would never engage anyone in a fight and would rather run and dodge and wait for his adversary to get tired. He would always use trickery and manipulation in order to defeat his opponents. That also made him into a coward and served as a trial of fire for Greg, who learned not to be afraid of everything and man up. He was also a force of nature, yeah he was technically evil, but he didn't transform people into trees just because he could, but because that is what he needed in order to survive. We don't say that a lion is evil because it killed and ate a human. The last thing is his design, it was a brilliant move to make him just a shadow with some horns, really looks like a force of nature and really goes hand in hand with the manipulator type and when we see him for just a split of a second, holy shit is he horrifying.

Glad to hear

Now that you mention it, I kind of get Sauron vibes from the Beast.

The manipulation, the force of nature, the cowardice and aversion to combat, how you only get glimpses of what he really looks like, how he forced a couple of short people to go on life changing quests, all of it.

It's all probably just a coincidence, but I wander if Patrick McHale was influenced by Tolkien while working on the show.

A lot of anons here have made good arguments explaining why it was good, I would just like to add that it had a good mix of terror and unease spread throughout the series, while still remaining solidly appropriate for a younger audience. There were suitably disturbing designs for the antagonists, which still looked appropriate for the overall tone of the series.
Don't lie, if you were watching this as a kid, some of this shit would have terrified you. And you would look back on the series fondly because it elicited such strong emotions in youth.

That's the mentality that keeps our industry in shit. Instead of creating good cartoons, they will just wait until the industry is good again, but unless they make those cartoons the industry will remain shit.

The problem is that this cartoon was fucked over by the industry still being shit. It still has terrible character designs. If it wasn't for the music and backgrounds, it'd look terrible.

Purgatory? try Inferno
>Heresy = The witch who worships the beast

and WoY

Tolkein? try the actual influence FOR Sauron. the manipulator, the king of lies, the big, red, gay devil himself

I can certainly see the similarities

You're forgetting how it gets colder and darker in the series just like in Dante's Inferno, to symbolize getting futher and further from God's light.

Faux style
No substance
Waste of time

The woodsman never checked his porch the whole time he was searching for his daughter.

That's not catharsis, that's infuriatingly bad writing.

What? She walked onto the porch to find him, retard. She was the one that found him.
Probably just a metaphor for him crossing over from purgatory. I remember reading something that suggests it with the shape of the moon and the fact it's Winter, can't remember exactly what it said.

The comic expanded on the Woodsman's backstory.

**His daughter got lost in the forest, and the Woodsman went out looking for her. He found The Beast's lamp and was told all that malarky about not letting the lamp's light go out.

In the first episode, we saw that a full pack of Edelwood only yielded a little bit of oil, so he was probably on a constant hunt for that stuff.**

It's odd watching a show that's good despite its art style. It's a bad case of missed potential.

This would've really benefited being made in the late 90s/early 2000s.