I now nothing about computer code and I've decided to major in comp sci...

I now nothing about computer code and I've decided to major in comp sci. Can someone give me a rundown of what comp sci is like, as well as suggestions for a good crash course in a code (what language is the best to learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's like reddit

Reddit with more wymyn

Start with the Greeks

what does that mean? I've never been to reddit.

okay

Scheme (dialect of Lisp)
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

Lisp is a meme. Learn C.

Why is lisp a meme, why should I learn C instead?

Watch the old MIT lectures to get an idea. Start here:
Lecture 1A _ MIT 6.001 Structure and Interpretation, 1986
youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY

C is something you use. I was writing C not ten seconds before visiting this thread. I've never used Lisp or Scheme or Racket or Rust or Haskell or any other toy language like that. Those are all theoretical, academic. You want results, you write in a language that doesn't pride itself in being convoluted.

C is good first lang, but if you're looking for something with faster results and less fuckery when it comes to input/output, try python.

Ignore all the idiots here OP, learn Assembly if you want to get a job.

MIPS assembly, to be more precise.

you need to know nothing.
when i started there were people in the classes who only knew how to turn on a computer.

we did it reddit!

Something you likely don't understand

is this a meme?

Nothing wrong with Scheme as a starting language, even if it's not used as much as Java or C. Even Donald Knuth used a simple computer and machine language for tutorial/illustration purposes in his books.

Everything is a meme here.

nice meme here bro

It's like being on your knees and stroking a cock. Everything seems to be going along well at first, but then someone sticks another cock in your field of vision, so now you've got two to deal with. But that's okay, you have two hands, so you start stroking the other cock, too. Problem is, it's a different size than the first cock, and also it has a foreskin, so the mechanics of stroking are different, and you miss a few beats. But you do okay.

But then a third cock arrives on the scene, and now you have to decide whether to put it in your mouth, or to let go of one of the other cocks, or something else. So you opt to use a third, bionic, arm to stroke the third cock, but now you have to learn how the bionic arm functions, while still keeping the strokes up on the original two cocks. Eventually, you get the bionic arm up and running, and you're stroking three cocks, but then the manufacturer of the bionic arm changes the way it works, and now you have to stop stroking that cock, and you're doing a sloppy job of stroking the other two cocks while you figure out how the bionic arm works all over again. But eventually you get it up and running again, and you're stroking all three cocks.

Now someone jams a fourth cock in your face, and this one you have to take in your mouth. So now you're sucking and stroking, and having to manage all of the different mechanics involved in that as well as stroking two cocks with your hands and an additional one with your bionic arm.

Eventually, another hj/bj enthusiast tags in, and takes over your sucking and stroking, and you have to go to another group and learn a whole new set of cocks.

The cocks always need stroking or a warm hole, and you know you can't slow down or say no, because there are always cheaper hj/bj enthusiasts who can come and take over for you. Maybe they aren't as good as cock handling as you are, but they can get three of them for the price of one of you, and try to make up for quality with quantity.

This goes on forever, and the guys never cum and are always hard.

Eventually, you get AIDS and die.

That's a rundown of what comp sci is like.

And it all takes place in the chamber of a portajohn in Delhi.

Couldn't have been said any better.

The moral of the story is that the only way you can be a computer programmer is if you're a massive faggot, and have a lot of stamina.

Okay. It's comput-ING science, and it's study of computation, which is the design of algorithms to solve problems automatically.

For the first two years, you'll be doing mostly mathematics. Broadly speaking, you'll be doing courses on continuous mathematics (i.e., differential calculus, linear algebra, differential equations), discrete mathematics (counting, number theory), and general computer science (data structures, common searching/sorting algorithms, rudimentary computer engineering).

In the final two years, you'll apply that foundational knowledge when you take courses in specific topics such as artificial intelligence, cryptography, operating systems, and whatever else your university offers.

If you're the type of person that enjoys solving little brain teasers, then you'll probably enjoy Comp Sci.

First of all, if you're taking an introductory course at a college, look at the syllabus and see which language the course is being taught in. It's most likely Python, but it might also be Java. You should learn that language if you're going to start a degree. Learn ONE language to start, because you'll overwhelm yourself otherwise.

Otherwise, In my opinion, you should familiarize yourself with three of the major way in which code is expressed: as procedures (i.e., Algol/Fortran style languages), as S-expressions (LISPs), and as pure functions (ML/Haskell style languages).

1. Start learning the imperative paradigm, and to do this, try Python (2, or 3, it doesn't matter because you're just fucking around with it to solve problems). Google for a learn-python series. There are even websites that have python educational courses and development environments built into one interface. Solve a bunch of simple problems.

2. After a few months, once you've familiarized yourself with Python, download Racket and read SICP.

3. After a few more months, download standard ML (or haskell) and fuck around with that.

You have to program each day for a couple hours (or longer) if you actually want to learn programming, which itself is separate from the theoretical stuff you learn in class.