/film/

Options…

1. Top 5 films
2. Last film you saw that left a significant impact, and why
3. Top 3 directors, and why
4. Do all of the above

Me: last film that left an impact = pic-related.

It was the most palpable portrayal of depression I've ever seen, and unlike so many films that center around the subject, not once did it seem contrived or angsty. Also, it instilled in me a deep-seated fear of celestial bodies.

Other urls found in this thread:

yesmovies.to/search/Penny dreadful.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can't remember the last 5 of anything I've ever done.

Wut

1 TDKR, The Raid, Dirty Harry Magnum Force, Master and Commander
2 Hardcore Herny, it was very fun and showed how much a movie can be when everyone does their best for it
3 >caring about directors

A couple of those films were decent, but top 5?? Jesus

I gotta see Hardcore Henry. I've heard good things.

Why wouldn't you?

The 2 hour blooper reel after the plane crash is not part of the movie.

If your favorite movie is about depression or some other shit, I don't think you get to get to complain.

That's not my favorite movie, tho. It would be in my top 10.

1. 2001: A space oddessey
2. Fanny and Alexander
3. Andrei Rublev
4. Diary of a Country Priest
5. The Godfather
6. Melancholia
7. Barry Lyndon
8. Doctor Zhivago
9. The Piano Teacher
10. Punch Drunk Love

Jesus fuck, I butchered odessey kek

Odyssey. I need to stop drinking

I saw the second half of 2001, it was just effects that weren't even good for the time. The horse scene of Andrei Rublev was symbolic: alluding to a quick, decisive attack by slowly killing a horse. Andrei has a talent for seeing things the opposite of what they are.

top kek

opinion discarded
Discarding of opinion intensifies. Literally 100% of film critics would disagree.

So, he'd think you have good taste?

I didn't watch Punch Drunk in the sense that it was shit and didn't finish it. But thinks for agreeing with me about Andrei.

You're an idiot

Bumbpf

Anyone ever seen it? Just ordered it

Top 5 Films

Never seen The Red Spectacle

I like it though it's definitely the most out there of Mamoru Oshii's films

I just looked it up and didnt know it was anime. I will check it out.

What is your answer to #2?

Top directors in no particular order

Wong Kar Wai
Peter Greenaway
Alejandro González Iñárritu
Lukas Moodysson
Lars von Trier

It's been a while since I saw a movie that really left an impact. The last movie I saw in the cinema was Nocturnal Animals. I liked it a lot.

I don't really get why everyone likes Blade Runner. One of the most overrated movies ever imo.

I heard that Nocturnal Animals was too stylish and contrived (Tom Ford: high fashion). You didn't feel that way?

I like Tom Ford's style although I can see why others might not.

I thought A Single Man was pretty good. Nocturnal Animals is definitely on my list.

Have you seen The Duke of Burgundy? If you like Ford, I think you'd really dig it

I haven't seen it. Looks interesting. I have to check it out. Thanks.

I thought A Single Man was better than Nocturnal Animals, but I definitely recommend seeing NA too.

The Red Spectacle is actually Live Action

Last film I saw that left a significant impact and why

I think this film out of all I've seen does the best at showing the fact that even after you grow up monsters don't disappear from the world they just chance their appearance. The closet movie to this that gave me the same type of vibe was Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory.

I love Blade Runner because 1. It's based off of a Philip K. Dick book 2. Riddley Scott's visual production in the movie is great 3. Harrison Ford does his best performance in this movie in my opinion

Pan's Labyrinth was an absolute masterpiece. Hopefully Del Toro continues his upward streak after Crimson Peak.

Btw, why did Pan's Labyrinth give you a similar vibe as Paths of Glory?

I saw Paths of Glory when I was relatively young (like 15ish I think) and I really empathized with Kirk Douglas' character about the just total disregard the officers had towards the enlisted men and I felt like Douglas' character really had a sort of awakening that maybe the Germans weren't the true enemies in that movie maybe his superiors were. I got kind of the same feeling about the young Girl in Pan's Labyrinth were everyone was telling her monsters and fairy tales aren't real and then as the movie goes on she realizes that monsters are real they are just other people. at least that's how I took the films

I loved Crimson Peak I really wish that sort of Gothic Horror would make a come back.

Very interesting connect between Pan's and Paths. Accurate.

If you haven't seen Penny Dreadful, I'd highly recommend it.

Haven't seen it so I'll try to find a copy of it.

No need, m8.

yesmovies.to/search/Penny dreadful.html

thanks for the link

No prob. It's a no-spam streaming site that I'm shocked hasn't been shut down by the feds yet. It's better than any pay-to-play streaming site.

Anyway, enjoy, anons!

bane