Install Debian

Can't I just have a simple OS that works? Jesus christ this is ridiculous.

Pathetic. No future for linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-system.conf.html
superuser.com/questions/294681/how-does-a-computer-restart-itself
serverfault.com/questions/706475/ssh-sessions-hang-on-shutdown-reboot/706494#706494
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1/10

It's true though. Have you ever seen such incompetence? It won't even reboot.

0.5/10

It just got even better. I went to the debian wiki and my VPN is forbidden.

I'm just a lurker, but holy fucking shit can we get some kind of rebuttal? Even "works on my machine bro" would suffice.

have you installed sudo?

Yeah it accepts the sudo reboot or sudo shutdown -r now but then just hangs forever

oh boy

works on my machine bro

same here niggs

There are big buttons to click on if you prefer. Also there's Noobuntu.

What would you do if you couldn't sudo reboot or sudo shutdown -r?

I honestly think you wouldn't be able to troubleshoot it.

I'd run "sudo init 6" to see if that works.

How about shutting down without rebooting? Does that work?

sudo init 6 was one of the first things I tried.

Nope this is shit.

Is manjaro any good?

No

If it makes you feel better, my Archlinux requires either a manual shutdown or waiting a minute and a half for systemd to give up on whatever it is waiting.

What does dmesg show?

I'd recommend straight Arch over Manjaro.

have you tried ctrl-alt-del

Honest question, why does this happen with systemd? sysvinit never took so long to shut down, and although systemd is definitely faster at shutting down sometimes, when things go wrong it can stay like that for hours. Is it just badly configured timeout wait times or what?

It shouldn't, if it does you likely have a problem. I use Arch, and my shutdown is instant. On shutdown the services are sent a sigterm, if after 90 seconds they don't terminate they are sent a sigkill.
The default start and stop timeouts are pretty long, but if you aren't having some sort of issue it is fine. It can be changed in /etc/systemd/system.conf:
#DefaultTimeoutStartSec=90s#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s
Source: freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-system.conf.html

First I'd check to see if sudo is installed before making a thread.

Debian comes by default with /sbin outside of regular users' path. This shouldn't be a problem with sudo, though.

Try "su -", then any of those commands, or poweroff. If that doesn't work, press Ctrl + Alt + FX to get into a new tty, then press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. If that doesn't work, try REISUB.

If none of that works, I dunno man. Works On My Machine.

Another one bites the bits!

I think it's time for you to visit the Apple Store.

Protip: don't use Linux if you have an IQ below 100.

debian's just a piece of shit like that, install a real distro, a real man's distro like slackware.

out

are you a big man?

WOW that map is racist!

superuser.com/questions/294681/how-does-a-computer-restart-itself

su -c 'shutdown -r'

Glad you enjoyed my post friend!

something is wrong with my monitor colours or this map is bullshit

i laughed heartily, thanks user

yeah it's Holla Forums alright

wasn't that ubuntu?

The problem with Debian is that Linux has actually gotten a lot better over time. Debian is stuck in their

mindset that places them roughly 5 years behind the rest of the Linux distros. That's 5 years we've had to fix things like rebooting the machine.

Look up deprecated in the dictionary and you'll find "Debian".

Use Sid you fucktard

Sid is still outdated as fuck compared to other bleeding edge distros.

this is bait

D E P R E C A T E D
E
B
I
A
N

Only some very specific niche packages that have lazy or MIA maintainers. Important packages are at worst two weeks behind, unless there is a security issue, in which case they are updated ASAP.

Same shit, Ubuntu is just debian testing with Shuttleworth's cum dribbled on it.

happened to me couple of times, installed debian and repos not working and it doesnt show all packages.... dpkg and that stuff is complete nightmare, even rpm works far better without all that dependency crap

You're probably thinking of Sicilians. Italians from the North are smarter than those from the South.

Oh alright I'll bite.

seriously if you are bitching about testing here you can kill yourself now
# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

well fuck son, you done fucked up. Since you didn't describe anything else you did I assume that you are just some fucking retard.

So to entertain the fact that you aren't a complete moron I added the user to the sudo group, logged out than in and sudo reboot.

And it worked. It happens very quickly and the SSH session doesn't automatically get severed so it looks like it hung but the debian VM did reboot.

you should group wheel

By default /etc/sudoers on debian are using group sudo.

IQ and race are meaningless and arbitrary

didnt know that, usually on almost every linux distro is wheel, and even on freebsd... "linux standards"

they seem to be retiring wheel out of use.

serverfault.com/questions/706475/ssh-sessions-hang-on-shutdown-reboot/706494#706494

thanks for explanation, makes sense. i wonder what default timeouts are in other inits? i imagine much shorter. makes sense that it would only be an issue when there is a problem, but i would probably still lower stop time to 30 or less.

redhat please go

For you ;)

In that case add Experimental.

You don't have to set a root password during install. If you don't, then users get put in the sudo group by default.

I can confirm the systemd bug, which is actually a systemd bug, and is already fixed, but not on stable, concerning the shutdown/reboot failure. On my old hardware (32 bit) the solution was to choose the 586 kernel over the 686. Only bug I had on Debian Jessie, which is, needless to say, the best OS in the world, and if you don't understand this big chances are you either a faggot or a stupid, or probably both.

You are a master of irony but nothing more.

echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

The installer shoved it in my face and literally said root password please.

But wheel is still useful for su. Unless that's what adm/admin is supposed to be.

If it weren't bait, i'm still not surprised this faggot can't reboot his debian box.

He might be new. So if this were a real person asking me this I might say well try 'poweroff' or sudo poweroff, and if that doesn't work (it's something I've seen from a debian based OS on the nokia n900), then go back to your microsoft prison 2016

How are you retards having so much trouble? I have a bunch of machines and VMs (both Xen and KVM) on either Wheezy or Jessie and only have reboot issues from debootstraps on KVM with Wheezy - it requires installing acpid. And if installed with the normal installer that wouldn't have been necessary.

Why would you want to shut down your computer, goy? This isn't Windows.

Oh wait, I forgot most fags on Holla Forums don't pay their own bills.

If you paid your own bills the price of leaving a single computer on should be trivial

Gentoo > CRUX > Slackware
No reason to use Slackware.

How much of a retard are you? Are you aware that not all bugs are reproducible on all hardware or require particular configuration to be triggered?

In other news, systemd devs still sacrifice too much reliability and robustness for fast development, for my taste.

If you can't take a joke, don't use systemd. I don't.

sudo reboot now

Gentoo and Slackware are not comparable as they both follow very different philosophies.

Also Slackware literally just werks and has all the software you'll ever need in the system already, on top of it being stable. This is the reason Slackwarefags like it.

I usually use systemctl for all that stuff.

I noticed that in Mint 18, shutting down or rebooting had become ridiculously long. But then it eventually became super quick, some update must have changed that setting.