What's wrong with Node?

What's wrong with Node?

Other urls found in this thread:

s3.amazonaws.com/four.livejournal/20091117/jsconf.pdf
es6-features.org
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/javascript.html
github.com/nodejs/TSC/issues/8
theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/rage-quit-coder-unpublished-17-lines-of-javascript-and-broke-the-internet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Writing servers in a dynamic, untyped, interpreted language.

The average quality of packages in npm.

Node programs deployed to the web using browserify are cancer

It uses Javascript

Everything, really, it's hard to find a point where you could start in an orderly manner.

They took a bad web language, turned it into a backend, effectively married it to the worst imaginable way to do concurrency in a high-level language, then hyped the turd up and ruined all hopes of a decent ecosystem (once the hipsters and code rockstars are in the majority, you are fucked). I'm sure there are more things, but see line one.

Joyent are SJW

/thread

1) It's Javascript
2) The community attracted by Javascript (webdev hipsters and SJWs)

The only good thing I can say about Node is that they have managed to make a shit technology work, but most of it is just re-packaging Chrome's Javascript engine.

If you want to write backend software there are much better languages with much more mature frameworks. The reason why webdev hipster like Node is so they don't have to learn a new language. What I would really love is some way to make client-side Javascript manageable. Like let's say I want to use some lightbox style script, I should be able to have a package manager that downloads the source, does all the stuff that's necessary to glue things together and then places it all in one unified directory from where it can be automatically included in my finished project. But that's never going to happen as long as every package does its own thing.

What other server software allows me to use websockets as easily as node.js and socket.io?

Because I've never found anything better.

mojolicious

If you never found anything better you obviously weren't looking very hard.

Get spoonfed, baby.

Everything.

Nothing, Node is actually pretty good.

JS has its quirks, but it's not the horrible language the fucktards here would have you believe. If you want static types use TypeScript, it's great.

If you don't understand the point of Node.js, read the slides from 2009: s3.amazonaws.com/four.livejournal/20091117/jsconf.pdf

npm runs executable code from who knows where that no one has likely ever looked at. It would be very easy to give the node community a trojan that opens holes on every server each dev can access.

Nothing wrong with node. At least, not more wrong than pretty much any language that exists. It's about time that language got put to more use than just client side browser shit.

That said, the community is crap, but you're not forced to make friends or anything.

JS was never intended for this and everyone already seems to have forgotten about the npm disaster.

Node powers Joyent's backend intrastructure, truly the most broken set of software you could imagine.

I heard Dahl is using golang now.

1) That some people don't use it.
2) That some people use PHP, Ruby, JSP, ASP.NET, etc instead.

Also, whoever thinks JS is a bad language hasn't used ES6. es6-features.org

Then go do async in C

They also breath air. Are you like them now?

So what, you don't have to do business with them.

es6-features.org

Then just use C's package manager to show me all the perfect well-organized C code packages with no bugs.

Yes, slower than (most) compiled languages but faster than any scripting language you'll realistically use for a server.

What npm disaster?

That time someone removed a 14 line long function that left-pads a string and it broke pretty much everything available on npm.

Only complete morons who made their production site depend on a proprietary service to deliver them code as intended.

NPM even recommends you to not .gitignore the node_modules. Just have a local copy of the code you're running, dammit.

I bet this is why my company just hosts their own internal npm repository (although we use a lot of customized modules so there's that too).

You can have private modules on NPM now, but still just having the code you depend on for production hosted by a third party and able to be deleted willy-nilly is silly.

Also, Java still shits on it in performance matters, no matter how much people cry about Java being slow because Minecraft told them.
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/javascript.html

Didn't asm.js get around 1.6x performance for ports of some C code? I don't have the link.

So you're saying Java can do multithreading while Node can't? Isn't that obvious?

People who love to shit on Java sure do love arguing that it's not a real compiled language because it doesn't compile to machine code.
Java 8 is actually pretty good, thank you.
There are thousands of LuaJIT-based webserver frameworks. Luvit even copies Node.js' API.

Java doesn't have the benefits of a scripting language (one-liners, just writing a script and running the interpreter on it, etc), but it also doesn't have some of the performance benefits of a compiled-to-machine-code language. It's still compiled though.

Regarding LuaJIT, I don't like re-inventing the wheel. At this point I can search for almost anything on NPM and there will be a package that does it, even obscure stuff.

I avoid Java because I don't want to be tied to Oracle, not because of any inherent deficiences in the language.

You can use OpenJDK, you know.

Then you can use C#/Mono too. And powershell is open source now, right? You could replace Bash.

is not the same user, the openJDK is 99% compliant with oracle's.

With mono you are still in license hell if you want to target anything but desktops (but that might change soon)

Main difference is OpenJDK is decent compared to Oracle's JDK, whereas Mono is shit compared to Microsoft's runtime. Also PowerShell is shit no matter how free it is

github.com/nodejs/TSC/issues/8

Pretty much all technology is like this now, though. It's more of an argument against Shithub than anything.

Node itself is fine, in fact Joyent's ex Sun devs have made node one of the most debuggable systems around, Nodes Javascript hooks into dtrace and mdb.

If you accept python, php or ruby then there's no reason for you to hate node.(node isn't just for websites, its initial demo was an IRC server)

What is absolute cancer is npm, that has enabled script kiddies to setup a website way worse than any pajeet could dream of.

See:
theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/rage-quit-coder-unpublished-17-lines-of-javascript-and-broke-the-internet/

npm enables people to just cut and paste code snippets into a half usable website, it is npm which is providing this extremely low barrier of entry.

DAILY REMINDER JOSH DID NOTHING WRONG

checked and keked at the memory of those shitcoders