- all the purple at default boot

and bonus answer - things i like about ubuntu:
- mark shuttleworth
- the default login screen
- n00b friendliness

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/hGmAo
wiki.debian.org/Grub2
pcworld.com/article/2998647/operating-systems/kubuntus-founder-resigns-accuses-canonical-of-defrauding-donors-and-violating-copyright.html
howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-rolling-release/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

horseshit
look at latest LTS

Install Trisquel or gentoo

oops sorry, was confused, was using 14.04 yesterday when stoned, for dolphin emulator

i have read something somewhere about the licensing - apparently if you contribute development to ubuntu, then they are the owners of your contributions ?

i would say that unity is more a copy of mac than windows, at least by UI anyway

Also that they turn packages which they get from Deb into a product they sell.

Unity is more of a cancer than UI anyway. Pantheon, on the other hand looks like Mac

The only thing that I really hate about Ubuntu, given that I don't have to use it, is that lots of proprietary software is only really tested and released specifically for it, so you have a choice of using ubuntu or shitting around with the .deb and figuring out how to get it to work on your distro. amdgpu-pro is a good example. I can't figure out how to get this shit working in Gentoo.

Ubuntu is good I just usually use xfce with it.

Bases itself on Debian, instead of doing all the work themselves.

I just saw this on firefox.

yes that means that they can legally change the license.
but that's for all projects .
If you contribute to gnu, it's the fsf that legally owns the licence so yes it's a donation from you to them.
Same thing with the linux kernel if you contribute to it it's the linux foundation who is responsible for it, except if you put your own licence on it.

It's too popular

Why is that bad? The whole point of FOSS is that that's fine. Do you want unnecessary duplication of effort?

Ubuntu is a parasite distro like Elementary OS. It takes someone else's real engineering, smears lipstick and mascara on it and then sells it to normies while contributing nothing back.

Nope.
That's not true. You always keep your own copyright. That means the Linux foundation couldn't change the license even if they wanted to, unless they got permission from all contributors first.
For most GNU packages that's true, but not for all of them. But the FSF copyright assignment is not typical. It's a contract in which the FSF makes a legally binding promise to only distribute your code under copyleft licenses. They can't freely change the license. The reason they want copyright assignment is that it lets them enforce the GPL on your behalf. Canonical doesn't make a promise like that. Their copyright assignment policy is much less reasonable.

Ubuntu has a lot of collaboration with Debian. They share patches and bug reports and Debian packages some software that was developed for Ubuntu by Ubuntu, like upstart.

Annoying default GUI

Apt-get regularly breaks i have changed nothing, not even a third-party repo. It just breaks

Systemd

Unnecessarily old packages

Fucked over the Kubuntu devs

Refuse to open source the snap store backend and made very suspicious excuses when people demanded it

Like all "human friendly" distros it is bloated as fuck.

Things I don't like about Ubuntu:

Things I do like about Ubuntu

Any other distro is 500x better than ubuntu and lots of them are just as noob friendly.

Manjaro

Care to elaborate? I switched from Windows to Ubuntu, hated Unity, looked at Lubuntu and Xubuntu and finally settled with the parasite distro Elementary OS. That is really, really beginner friendly but starting to piss me off due to the lack of customizability.
I played a bit with Linux Mint with Cinnamon this week but I don't like it that much.

Ele just ruined their distro. After the most recent version, it's not worth using anymore.

What exactly are you asking me to elaborate on? My personal preferences?

Yes, eOS 0.4 sucks. Quite buggy.

Yes

Why use Ubuntu/its many clones when there's Fedora?

Or Debian? CDE can be compiled no problem on Debian.

Outdated packages

sometimes it seems apt-get and the GUI for updating show different things (???????)

systemd? it contains systemd even in version 14.04, and i am not sure about 13.04... much much slower than debian, fedora, arch etc... i like all that newfag friendliness, not everyone is power user... additional drivers option is pure magic and works almost everytime... but like i said, much less performance than desired...

Firefox is still partially free software.
you can interpret that it's promoting the iphone but it's well none that it exist on android.
Maybe they want to conquer the ithing devices but I don't have hope, most apple addicts are zealots just like lgbt and sjw.

apt-get, aptitude, and synaptic all use a different package cache.
of course you'll get different results because they don't know what you have installed because it was installed by a different program and they wont know that until they're updated.
Use one one package manager or the other, don't mix them or you'll get stupid results like that.

never happened to me user, listen to this one

Do you know what a botnet is or are shouting buzzwords.

I use Ubuntu with GNOME and think it's fine.

It spies about as much as Windows 10 by default.

I still use Kubuntu, but think the head guy there might be working on another distro called KDE Neon.

Not stable yet AFAIK.

Really it's a good intro os but that's just it

There's a lot of shitty things about ubuntu and aside from being a decent intro to linux similar to mint, there's no real reason for anyone to use it with all the better options out there.

This is a positive thing

they can keep that to themselves tyvm

Before 16.05 it phoned home every couple of seconds. They say they "fixed" it but I have no faith in botnet to remove botnet.

I use Ubuntu MATE and it works fine for me. The only issues are with wifi (Centrino) but im pretty sure that's an issue with Linux in general

Well I don't use Ubuntu because Unity is a fuckshit desktop environment.

Xubuntu used to be my regular distro however. I'm not sure I'll be using it again for a while though because a freeze during an upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 completely fucked my RAID array up. I don't even know how it managed to affect another one of my partitions, but now my Void partition is ruined too and GRUB was corrupted and couldn't be fixed so I had to replace that with NT Loader just to get back into WinXP which works perfectly fine. Certainly never going to use one of their piece of shit distro upgrade tools again.

I'm so tired of GNU/Linux's fucking horseshit support for hardware-assisted software RAID.

What happened?

Amazon and lack of customization in UNITY

I had a hardware-assisted software RAID, back in the day before the SSDs came up. I had problems with my Windows distro and was afraid I'd lose my data due to using RAID 0 but managed to save the files using a live CD and GNU/Linux's nice support for hardware-assisted software RAID.
What's your problem, m8?

You deserve it for trying to do a dist upgrade. The last OS I did that for ended just as badly. Fresh install or forget it

That's like comparing anons to goons.

I rather like Unity and tried ubuntu-desktop along with the audio suite from ubuntu-studio. It didn't last long though. After using Unity day-to-day, you start to realize it has many quirks. It feels unfinished. HTML5 video players in the browser start to slow down after use. I was able to confirm this as an issue with Unity with the community.

It was nice not having to worry about stuff for once and hanving a flashy (but a little to heavy) UI for once. Also, it was nice having a prebuilt linux-lowlatency kernel in the repos.

I've switched to Manjaro since, never having tried it. Installed Plank and got it set up like a much lighter, and better-looking (read: GTK 2) Unity. They also have prebuilt linux-rt kernels in their repo.

I hate apt too. Holy shit apt was the single worse part of Ubuntu for me. I'm never going back.

I don't like repacked solutions.

archive.is/hGmAo
Fucked over was a bit of a misnomer, but there was definitely a falling out and Canonical was left heavily on the defensive, like trying to explain where

OP here. should add that, foolishly, i didn't know update-grub is actually a debian thing.
wiki.debian.org/Grub2

Why not just link to the website?

pcworld.com/article/2998647/operating-systems/kubuntus-founder-resigns-accuses-canonical-of-defrauding-donors-and-violating-copyright.html

I once had a impossible to fix blank screen when I tryd to upgrade Kubuntu. It was a bug involving the dietary AMD drivers. They felt it was a known shippable. I avoided Ubuntu ever sense.
Although Iam interested in a Ubuntu Touch

Neon is bare bones Ubuntu lts with the latest stable releases of KDE software.
I was going to move to it form Arch until I realized. I think it's supposed to be more of a repo for testing new releases rather than a proper distribution so I wander if I can use Neon and replace Poobuntu with Debian.

Is xubuntu good?
I've made an online test, and it was the one I had the most affinity (aside lubuntu, wich I had problems with some time ago), on par with Debian

It's xfce overlaid on ubuntu. Do you like xfce? Do you like ubuntu? If so then yes. If no then no.

I-I dont know
I'm new

xfce is shit, and so is lxde
among the popular DEs only Unity seems usable, still years behind Aqua though.

Why it's shit?

Most of LGBTs that I have encountered are also SJWs to almost zealot level even IRL I encountered them and it's always the same thing:

The worst of all this is that you can't talk to them anymore, they stay in their bubble because some other idiot asked them to do and they don't even realize what they are doing.
Some of these question should come up in their mind
But their community forbids any other arguments than the ones already established.

I have fortunately found some lgbt that don't shove their politics in other throats and are ok with other opinions but that's like 1%.

That's why most of these people are a menace to freedom in general.

I have experienced this with someone.
They stopped talking to me because their "friends" said I was "problematic" even though I was the most real friend they ever got in their life.
It is a shame what this social cult does.

it looks like shit and behaves like shit.
well, it doesn't *quack* like shit… yet.

Was a surreal experience to watch this happen. Up until this I honestly thought it was an uncommon meme at best.

Sorry for your friend.
If you want something that cam maybe help to try and converse with these people is by using the NVC methods "Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life" by Marshall B. Rosenberg
I have tried it and the best that I could have (without much practice) is a neutral status with these people.

The thing is, since it's almost brainwashing that SJWs have, they need to find out by themselves what you are trying to explain them.

The best way to do that is, I think, by making them read the book mentioned earlier since it ask you to make effort to think on how you interact/speak with others and yourself and the consequences of them.

You can't force someone to believe what you are discussing.

That is something very interesting that is explained in the book that's why I tried to guide them to this book it is very simple to read and to understand but to put it in practice it's a different kettle of fish.

Horrible security. Ignoring cves. thought at one point they work for gchq. The binaries (openssl) are crap. One year ago I refused to work with them because of their ignorance.

Canonical partnered with Michael
I miss the AUR when I use it
Niggers

I hate it because Holla Forums told me that I should hate it.

Just get opensuse y'know.
It's way better.
More up to date software and comes with bleeding edge packages OR get the stable distribution more up to date than your twice a year ubuntu update (due to *buntu being distro for server admins that want 99% uptime).

OR you can install arch and get a nice and sound community support.

Please stop shilling the worst distro ever created. You guys are the reason that newfags end up hating GNU/Linux

awww poor baby, meanie Holla Forums hating things really got to him :(

The first time I installed arch is success.
It's basically google: "Arch install [insert DE like gnome3] 2016 full tut"
If one can't follow simple instructions it means they're better off putting their foot in mouth before they whine about how shit a "well-packaged distro" is when in fact it's their shortcomings which should be blamed of.

Newfags end up hating arch because they have obscure wifi card and slow internet (chuckles america).

They can't turn on the wifi on their laptop because their laptop's wifi switch requires obscure bios packages for FN keys to work or they have a shitty DHCP DNS (chuckles american ISPs). Who the fuck installs a netinstall with proprietary wifi? It's like asking how to install windows DVD on a netbook without DVD drive.

It's not the worst distro, the hotheaded users end up hating a distro that even those "raspberri pi cucks can install" e.g, your clocksmith ahmed mohammed.

I don't really mind Ubuntu.
It's canonical in general I dislike.

Lint is where its at

It's not Gentoo.

because its non-rolling release.

howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-rolling-release/

It's rolling release, just not by default, like many healthy well-balanced distros that try to be useful for many use cases.

Nice. The bloat of Ubuntu, the instability of Debian Sid and the shady practices of Canonical and Mark "lol we r00t u" Shuttleworth. It's like AIDS: The OS.

It's not Mint. Mint MATE does everything I want ubuntu to do, has compatibility with a lot of the ubuntu specific software and is actually sleek.

I like my ubuntu server just fine fam

my owncloud server is nice and handy

Mostly the community's approach to solving problems. It's anything but conducive to self-sufficiency and learning:
Overall they feel barely more useful than Wangblows seven/eight/tenforums or steam forums.

Typical example:

At least they're contained in their own forums and plebbit and not shitting up every other place.

this

You see to be implying that Arch is hard to install, or that that is it's biggest problem.

Arch is a clusterfuck and bleeding edge philosophy blows nigger willies. Arch was tolerable before System D adoption but now it's a bleeding cunt and isn't worth fucking with. Arch wishes it could be like it's big brother Gentoo but will forever retain it's inferiority complex.

The only non arguable worse init than systemd.

lol

Linux fags aren't? I'd argue they're worse. They're like the warring states period in Japan with all the distro loyalty and battles.

All the daimyo (distros) allowed to battle eachother as long as they swear fealty to the shogun (linus/kernel). Meanwhile the actual emperor takes a more figurative and revered role (rms)

Ubuntu does as much surveillance by default as Windows 10.

Ubuntu is just another botnet by now with loads of fancy but unneeded shit. Just install Trisquel or Lubuntu 14.04.

Nigga u gay

It refuses to boot after installation.

Oddly, Linux Mint works without a problem.

Not defending Ubuntu for their inclusion of botnet, but that's an overstatement.

Their new "Software" package manager is even shittier than the old Ubuntu Software Center.

How do you disable what's there?
I just installed Kubuntu on my x201t because everything just works with it.

It's too...

Clean.

i'm usually not a stickler on this stuff, but it's spelled which

Such as?

I just dislike everything that's more bloated than TempleOS.

Just uninstall the unity lens Amazon stuff. unity-lens-shopping was the package name, I believe.

Why are women this stupid

Like everything corporations do, really.

Is there anything besides sending the things you type in the start menu's search bar to Amazon?

I'm not defending that, but it's ridiculous to say that's as much as Windows 10.

because you're a retarded faggot

Tell me more of what javascript did. I'm curious to why its used for everything.

Is there an updated chart for "Linux distro for you"? I sort of bounce around distros, but I can't find anything to actually replace Windows 7. I swore off ubuntu after attempting to install my video card drivers Radeon card and it caused the fucking task bar to disappear with a MISSING ERROR message at start, I could still pull up the terminal, but screw that, why even have a gui then. Apparently if you don't have a card made in the last two years it won't work at all for some reason, they start cutting off support at the two year marker for some cards. At least thats what I could dig up. It didn't make any sense.

I don't like that Network Manager update they pushed into the stable repository last January that fucked up my laptop's wireless before a meeting.

SJW-style lies and fearmongering. Ubuntu is free and open-source software.

Elementary is actually pretty good.