Web Development without pain and JavaScript

• GWT looks like a viable thing but it's said to have poop compile time and I'm not sure it can be integrated with Gradle
• TeaVM — don't know much about this one, but they too use Maven for builds instead of gradle which sucks
• pyjs — Not sure if it supports Python 3, also it probably sucks if this article is still true blog.pyjeon.com/2012/07/29/why-pyjamas-isnt-a-good-framework-for-web-apps/

What are other options? What did you try yourself?

I have some basic js knowledge but I know it sucks and I don't want to invest much time in it nor do work directly with it.
Same for CSS and HTML. Ideally I would use some GUI framework (like GTK, JavaFX, etc), which uses widgets, layouts and stuff, and it gets compiled to html+javascript.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorilla
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_cFx29Xz0
eloquentjavascript.net
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Django.

Gradle and maven are both trash. My only experience with GWT is with libgdx and it is an enormous pain in the ass to get external libraries working with it. You have make your own wrappers for all the 3rd party libraries yourself if you want it included with the GWT project. Not sure why you would even want to use GWT for anything except a libgdx game.

There are honestly web frameworks for basically any language now. Pick the language you like best and look at what's available. Use twitter bootstrap for design unless you need to customize things.

Just use html templates. Frameworks just make shit slower and more bloated.
Don't design your site around JavaScript, use it to enhance the usability.
Take this site for example
You'd have a template for a thread, for a board page, catalog, etc. And it works perfectly fine without JS, but with JS you have things like the quick reply box.

This is the least painful way to do web development.

Most micro framework don't add very much but handle things that there's no point reimplementing yourself like routing, CSRF tokens, cookies, sessions, password hashing, etc.
Django on the other hand is bloated.

You don't need to use a framework for that either, and you sure as hell shouldn't implement most of that yourself either.
Take this for example:
github.com/gorilla
Go has html templates built in, if you need any of the things you've listed you just use one of these libraries, or any other implementation of them that you prefer.
None of these features need to be inter-dependent on one and another.

just need a lib to shit out an SDL context into an HTML5 canvas w/ websocket

The pain is proportional to the pain you inflict on users. If your shitty little blog causes 100+W power spikes because you're a chronic Javascript masturbator then you're the problem.

How are you supposed to create dynamic webapps without js?

You aren't "supposed" to be unleashing these monstrosities upon the world in the first place, young grasshopper.

Single Page Apps are on their way out, bud.

You can't. It's a fact of life. You need JS if you want to make webpages that are more than static text.
What you do have control over and how to not be a complete piece of shit web dev is by not requiring 14 scripts to load to simply view the content on the page.

Stop being cancer and seriously learn the technologies involved. HTML5, CSS3, JS. Use them directly, without templates or generators or other languages. Don't use jQuery. Use React or Mithril for any apps. For the love of God, avoid anything shat out by Google.

HTML5 is a victory of the adults against the SGML cultists and semantic web nerds. You can use CSS like a slav or like Yahoo or like it's intended. JS is scheme with better literals. The DOM isn't harder to master than the terminal.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_cFx29Xz0
eloquentjavascript.net

Aren't you seeing the conflict here?

Someone on 8ch calling me cancer is lesser problem than doing all manual work with JS.

By using some other technology which generates HTML[+JS] as output, obviously. Did you read the OP?

You don't know what you're talking about. The situation is that the training wheels are significantly worse than the bike.

This is some advanced trolling methodology.

My current goal for my webapp is

by using Common Lisp + Parenscript for any absolutely necessary dynamic things.

I think streamlined webapps can be pretty useful as far as not needing to install anything and just connecting to a server (Personal server in this case).

People of course take it way too damn far.

The less I know about web development the better.
t. Web developer.
Kill me please

[citation needed]

Does it abstract some things on client side?

Then you are locked out of the most widely deployed platform and therefore a lot of users.

I tried doing frontend manually with JS and it sucks. There are lots of stupid browsers, even (chrome, firefox, safari) have lots of subtle differences that bite you in the ass.
And JS is a horrible language where a fucking FORMATTER can change the meaning of your code, not to mention stupid type coercion rules and absolutely poop type system.

You might like purescript

that's too Haskell (I don't think all that hassle with purity is needed in browser)

Is this thread satire? There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Javascript responsibly.

What about using node?

OK, let's say I decided to bite the bullet and use plain javascript with Bootstrap™ (because I don't need to do design then)

Do I need to use Grunt? Node? What else?
That shit looks complicated