Soundcloud running out of money

SoundCloud posted a net loss of $52 million in 2015 and may “run out of cash” before the end of 2017, Music Business Worldwide reports.

The figures were revealed in a report from co-founder Alexander Ljung, who warned that the company may need to seek additional funding if its subscription service doesn’t perform as hoped.

“The assumption of a successful launch of the new subscription service is the key element of [our] financial projections for the next three years,” Ljung writes. “[This] bears financial risks regarding the operating results and cash flows of the group.

OK, forget for the moment tha fact that everyone is posting their music on YouTUbe now anyway, and forget that Google has already offered $500M to buy Soundcloud. The bottom line here is that a subscription and ad business model has already been shown to not by itself be profitable. Especially when the "product" is of varied (and largely low-end) quality.

The truth is that I, and many people who once regularly used Soundcloud, are quite alright with it going the way of MySpace, and for largely the same reasons. It simply doesn't provide anyone with anything that they can't get elsewhere in a more user-friendly and more affordable manner.

As for Google's offer, don't look for it to stay out there long enough for Soundcloud to bite on it. Soundcloud's users have been migrating to Youtube over the last several years anyway, and if Soundcloud goes under Google gets those users by default anyway. So why would they pay for them when they can get them for free just by waiting a year?

This is actually quite serious.
And Holla Forums is the worst possible place to be discussing this.
Soundcloud is the best option for composers to share their work with their specific audience.
Its also the best place to find new music and creators you like. Youtube is not a music service, and even though it will recommend you music if you are on a music video, you'll always end up at the same music promotion channels with their mostly stale (not necessarily bad) uploads.
It also just bad practice in general to have a fucking HD video just to listen to an audio track.
I really hope they don't get bought by google. They'll just expand their botnet. It would be the perfect opportunity for a competitive company to jump in. If there was any…
It would also split its user base. Which is absolutely not what anyone would want.
I don't care if they put some jewish money schemes in place just please dont let google or amazon buy it

Let's just leave all the other websites and make it so Holla Forums has all their features.

youtube needs a dedicated audio platform

Who gives a shit? Soundcloud is a cancerous community and the site isn't very well done.

If they wanted to make money they would improve the site a bit and ask for donation.

Bandcamp is better.

Literally fucking kill yourself Jewgle shill. Google is absolutely fucking god awful and if you truly want an audio platform you can use google play.

BLZ GIB SOUNCLOWN SUM MONI

I hope it goes under tbh, sc is such a shit platform…

Imagine listening to a relaxing song, and once it's over you suddenly hear a musical shitpost by Skrillex playing very loud. You never even asked for it to be played and it has absolutely no connection to the song you were originally listening to.

This is what using sc is like.

It plays the next song from the same creator dude. Maybe the people you like just dont have a consistent style due to their autism

MySpace was always better than Facebook. You could customize your layout to a tee, like your own Web site. They had shit like video embedding years before Fuckerberg thought of implementing it.

No. They literally play "similar songs" from completely different artists.

yes and with it's death will come the loss of many shitty solo electronic artists. fuck yes.

If you lose 52 million in a year, your business expenses are too high.

chekkkkkked

Quads don't lie.

This, this, and this.

Fuck Soundcloud. The only purpose it has ever served is to keep all the shitty musician wannabes in one place. Soundcloud is to music what 4chan and reddit are to humanity.

If they just fixed the mobile site and the bugs in the app, they'd probably have another 5 years. Do they not realize that you can't just force mobile users to use the app, when the app doesn't have the functionality you require?

ads

who cares? bad businesses fold every day. it's nature.

That about sums it up. The thing is, will all those Soundcloud retards now invade Bandcamp like 4chan is invading us? What are the implications of that?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa……………………..*gasp*

Bandcamp is not better. It's got a horrible interface, and on mobile stops you listening to songs more than x times without buying the album, even if it's NYP. And you can't make playlists, artists have to upload tracks as single albums, all sorts of weird bullshit. Soundcloud is awesome.

See the post above yours.

what faggots use soundcloud?
never been on it for more than one minute in my life. i can image right now that it is one big echo chamber.

what is NYP

"name your price"

okay. not sure how that makes it less jewish to prevent you from listening without buying

It's because soundcloud is fucking retarded. You subscribe to certain people and you just receive a random stream of bullshit. When people sign up for a site, they want to access content, not just get a flood of random shit.

FUCK
Yesterday I joined soundcloud and listened to music for like 2 hours straight when I was only going to listen one 4 minute song

WHAT IS THIS FUCKING CURSE

you'll be happy to know there are ways to listen to music other than soundcloud

that's because you're a millennial with ADHD

no, I am a natsoc from Holla Forums, don't you know there are no millenials on Holla Forums?

I like the interface, and jewtube is not built for music

try spotify

Holla Forums is probably 95% millennial. Don't you know that the oldfags left Holla Forums a long time ago?

here's an idea, download mp3s for free and play them with a media player, you fucking retards. If you don't know how to get mp3s for free then you are beyond saving.

>no uploading feature as far as I know
it comes off as cancerous

I just like the sense of community that exists on platforms for shit. I like reading comments and descriptions. Is it autistic? Maybe, but I'd rather have autistic standards than no illusion of company

you can add local files to playlists. why would you need to upload them?

so I can search for shit people have uploaded instead of downloading .mp3s and .oggs from shitty websites a la 2003.

There are p2p communities that have forums and allow you to download free mp3s. You're just being a lazy idiot.

No, you're just a fucking moron.

Hello Reddit

try again

nice reply asshole

if you look closely, you'll notice it's not a reply to anyone

if you look closely, whenever you want to make a new comment, you end up clicking on "new reply" you triple flying faggot

yeah that's actually incorrect. That was a programming typo, it's supposed to be "New Post" but Jim fucked my shit up so I can't fix it

test

omg its firetires!!111

edm artist here, and i just want to say that the survival of soundcloud is crucial. a huge community has been built inside of it, and if it shuts down, tons of artists will have nowhere to post their music, without digital distribution.

and why is it crucial that they continue to have somwhere to post their music?