Fuck Micro$haft

This past Saturday my SSD, with Windows 7 installed, would not boot.

Fast forward to now and I've since securely erased the drive using the manufacturer utility, installed Windows 7 again, and activated.

Windows Update still hangs on checking, even leaving that shit over night.

Is Micro$hit seriously keeping updates from coming through to Windows 7 in an attempt to push for Windows 10?

How can I fix this shit?

And if I can't, what Linux distro do I install on my SSD? Should I then use Windows 8 or something for gaming on my HDD?

Other urls found in this thread:

wu.krelay.de/en/info.htm
wu.krelay.de/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=YSyRMtT0-sM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

RIP Holla Forums

I've heard from a friend that Linux Mint is good for transitioning from Windows at first, and has some good drivers in the OS right out of the box, but I think now he's on Ubuntu Gnome.

What's best for compatibility?

Nigger I installed it no problem. That's not the issue here.

Hello newfriend

We have a sticky for these kinds of things, perhaps you should try that.

We're /g/ now

this

Fuck off back to reddit

Windows won't update because you first have to update windows update.

Mint is kind of a meme distribution to be honest. Xubuntu is essentially the same thing with slightly better preset options and a more established track record.

(checked)
This is the response I wanted, thank you.

I've been curious about the different flavors of Ubuntu for a while.

Looks like I figured out a way to finally get updates to fucking run. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on a few distros for future reference.

The windows 7 update utility is somewhat of a crapshoot. I assume you've installed the update utility's updates, so after that I'd just try and try and try again. Eventually it should work.

Honestly I'd just move to Linux though unless you like gaming.

I personally like Q4OS. It's pretty retard friendly and the UI is extremely reminiscent of Windows. There's some stuff I'd read tutorials on that I just couldn't do on any other distribution.

Found a workaround on plebbit that worked almost immediately. 2 (3, but only 2 would download for me) offline update installers, and then bam, updates show up.

Literally never heard of this before now, I'm pretty sure. I'll look into it. Thanks user.

Addendum: I did install the (supposedly) updated Windows Update program, but that was definitely not enough.

I read something in the last few days about how shitty Windows 7 updates have got thanks to Microsoft making major updates to the OS and each time it fucked the update list.

wu.krelay.de/en/info.htm

Basically it takes so long because of a combination of Microsoft is retarded, Microsoft doesn't care, and Microsoft doesn't publish any specs or documents, publically, anything lower level that could help shed light on this.

But you already knew that.

After installing Wangblows, turn off automatic updates and stop the update service in services.msc.

Go here: wu.krelay.de/en/

Install KB3185911; KB3168965; KB3145739; KB3078601; KB3164033; KB3109094 and KB3138612 (for Wangblows 7) OR KB3138615 (for Wangblows 8/8.1).

Restart the computer.

Afterwards, when you check for updates, it will take only about 15 minutes. The updates required to make Microsoft's stupid, inefficient looping will change every patch Tuesday, so you can check that site again if that does happen. Also, I'm not sure how rollups will affect this from October and onward, but again, that site will update.

If you're in charge of deploying new W7 systems and keeping them up to date, then you were probably already aware of this. Unfortunately, I have to deal with this quite often for what I do.

If you can live without Wangblows (i.e. you're not a gaymur), Ubuntu or Mint are good distros. They're basically the same, but Ubuntu's third party repos tend to be opt-in whereas Mint tends to be opt-out (thus easier for Wangblows users at first). Both come with tons of desktop shells, but for someone who's used to Wangblows, I'd go with Cinnamon or Xfce if you need something light.

Just saw this. If you used the "convienece rollups" they can knock out most updates up to April 2016, and there's another rollup each month afterwards. However, the only problem with this is that those rollups count as one "KB" update, meaning if you want to cherrypick certain updates, you're SOL. If you're worried about telemetry backports from W10, for example, the rollups come bundled with these and are thus untargetable.

With each patch Tuesday, the updating process will take exponentially longer. On medium systems they can take about 48 hours. Microsoft won't fix this, it actually works in their best interest. It's not done on purpose, though, they're just lazy and nobody there really knows how anything works.

Thanks anons.

And yeah, my friend who loved Mint for a long time used, well, hmm. I can't recall which one he used come to think of it.

Saved for later use.

Fucking install Gentoo, read the amd64 handbook and have a working system and don't forget to emerge --sync now and again it's the easiest most self-explanatory distro there is. It breaks less than every other fucking distro (especially all the package based distros) too

Wow, I always wondered why the update search seemed to get stuck in an endless loop on some days. Thanks for that info.

This is what happens when you let your tech support office take over the company. The head Pajeet needs to be hung already.

Speaking of Pajeet, a friend of mine said he'd vote Trump if he could seriously reform the H1B visa program.

He showed me this video, I'll see if I can find it. It's pretty emotional.

Found it. Apparently you can't embed here, which is a surprise to me. I need to visit this board more often.

youtube.com/watch?v=YSyRMtT0-sM

I still haven't into webms.

Good on Disney for firing retards

I had exactly this same issue; couldn't reinstall win 7

I suspected it was ms trying to force people onto win10

Installation went fine for me, it's just that the updates are fucked. It definitely works out in their favor if people get frustrated with it.