There's No Place Like Springfield

G.I.Joe is basically one of the greatest things ever. But there there is a two parter that stands above a lot of the rest of the cartoon, and I wanted to discuss it specifically. Obviously all things Joe are fine to talk about, but I hope everyone will check out these episodes and talk about them this weekend.

Part 1 (S01e54):
dailymotion.com/video/x2q3ged_g-i-joe-s01e54-there-s-no-place-like-spring-field-part-1_tv
Part 2 (s01e55):
dailymotion.com/video/x2q3gxw_g-i-joe-s01e55-there-s-no-place-like-spring-field-part-2_tv

Episode numbers included incase you would rather just find the episodes to download, or watch on a different site. This is just the first site I found that had them in full, and content is all that really matters. If you have never seen these episodes, I think you're in for a treat. If you have, like me, then I still think they are amazing things to watch again.

This shit freaked me out as a kid, but it was worth it.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2olchi_g-i-joe-s01e26-the-gamemaster_tv
puu.sh/qEj6C/36f683f2d2.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cobra Commander can be a real dick.

Also remember when Cobra cloned dinosaurs?

He's a total dick.

He has his moments.

Cobra troopers can be pretty badass when not fighting Joes.

Tricking ghosts, dominating the weather, starting rockbands and fast food chains… Cobra has tried damn near everything once. They're real go getters.

I love the Joes, but I would totally watch a show that was just skirmishes between Cobra troops who answer to different members of the inner circle. I really loved the interplay between Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness and the rest.

Even though Destro only really showed up for a bit in There's No Place Like Springfield, I love that he's clearly the only one who really understands what you can and can't do with the bomb.

Destro is a cool fucking guy.

That will teach them not to bully!

As for There's No Place Like Springfield, now that I've had more time to think about it since watching it again I love that a key part of the lie they feed Shipwreck is that he basically destroyed the Cobra base by himself, and in the end he pretty much does exactly that. Also the unique animation of Cobra Commander's empty helmet hitting the floor in the recap to part 2 was one of my most intense HOLY SHIT moments as a kid. It's so seared into my mind that it always weirds me out that the animation isn't actually in part 1

(checked)
So let me get this straight,

Did GI Joe do evangelion before evangelion?

Just goes to show that NGE is not really as deep as its fans made it out to be.

Everyone underestimates him. He's actually one of the most cunning supervillains ever.

Eva was just an elaborate G.I.Joe fanfiction.

I was actually just thinking about how amazing Chris Latta nailed the comedic performance for Cobra Commander (and many other characters), and how that more or less made it impossible for anyone to match him in the same regard. That meant that the best thing to do with him was just make a different type of Cobra Commander, like in Resolute and Renegades.

He is resourceful as fuck, and has always been a credible threat in the comics. Knowing he rose up from a disgruntled used car salesman to running a organization capable of threatening the whole world… he's one hardcore mutha fucker.

I always wanted to write a story that linked the creature under Destro's castle to the Inhumanoids. But I'm probably a lot more likely to get around to writing a Jem/G.I.Joe crossover where Cobra steals Synergy

I hope we get a cartoon series of G.I. Joe in this style. Don't get me wrong i like Renegades but the artstyle was kinda weird for me.

It's a real shame that GI Joe never kept going as strong as Transformers did.

Was Cobra Commander being an ancient snake man a thing in the lore or just a movie-only thing?

That was a result of Hasbro fuckery. He was a used car salesman in the comics. Hasbro made a Serpentor the Cobra Emperor toy and wanted him in the show. Hasbro basically just wanted it to be he was always the leader of Cobra and was always there, but we just never saw him.

The writes tried convinced them that was dumb. They went in a different direction and it snowballed into all that Cobra-La bullshit. So Cobra Commander ended up becoming a snake man thing.

Also I think they originally wanted him to just be deformed or something. Destro saw him without his mask on and looked like he wanted to vomit. Also you can see the back of his head here without his mask.

Where have I heard that recently….

>runs

I honestly feel like his family scene at the end would've been better if they had truly believed they were real and thought they loved Shipwreck, like the episode in JLU where Superman's made up son cried at the end at the realization he wasn't real. That shit would've been so emotional and heartbreaking as his family melted in the fire. It would've been such greater feels. Just…

I have to imagine someone in the writing staff suggested that and others were like "we can't fucking do that to children". Even after all the melting people.

Notice his daughter is already a melted puddle, as if someone cut the short animation of her actually melting. I agree it would have been much more impactful, but they probably didn't want to fuck kids up the extra amount of hearing his family love him and then fade away… or have Shipwreck escape with a pair of synthoids and then it would be heartless of someone else to kill them. As it is, it allows his bird to destroy them to save his life, a justifiable "killing".

I think the fact that, despite him realizing everything was a Cobra trick, that he still runs for them first works really well though. Especially with how well he's portrayed as a jackass throughout the show, even a little kid doesn't think of Shipwreck as a dad in the suburbs. But deep down he really ended up wanting it.

To add to my point as to why I think it was something they considered, remember the part where synthoid Doc questions the Twins, and they recycle him? That could have been a set up to his family actually growing to care about him (though it also serves to remind the viewers that synthoids can be destroyed with the right signal).

That's such a good, crazy episode. And a lot of Baroness in her swimsuit. Probably a nice episode to talk about before getting into any of the other really dark or weird ones.

s01e26 The Gamemaster
dailymotion.com/video/x2olchi_g-i-joe-s01e26-the-gamemaster_tv

pardon the watermark, I just saw the picture and didn't want to bother looking for a clean one or removing it

Transformers vs GI Joe did a very nice compromise between those two different versions of the Commander, by having him be primarily the Comics version, but having elements of the Cobra-La version mixed in as well(such as him becoming a Snake mutant later on due to his dealings with Ko-Buru-Lah)

trippy, yo.

Well, that's fairly disgusting.

didn't know Cobra Commander was a manlet?

yeah I think I'm going to need to storytime Transformers vs GI Joe sometime soon for Holla Forums Holla Forums

Was this part of the actual crossover? I thought what happened was Cobra Commander and Megatron teamed up to build their own transformer called SERPENTOR or were there actually multiple crossovers between these two shows?

Damn shame though given the political climate I'm not sure it'd survive right now. Hopefully in the future it can come back.

that was a different crossover from a different company, this one is a more recent one from IDW the current publisher for both GI Joe and Transformers, this cements the need to have it storytimed for Holla Forums Holla Forums

Could be interesting. I've only seen the Jae Lee G.I.Joe/Transformers crossover.

I'm not sure if that is a ridiculous or brilliant idea.

Probably a bit of both.

wow the joes are pretty good singers.

The guys anyway. The women seriously grate. Though that might just be shitty sound mixing.

Seems to be a theme actually, the sounds in these 80s cartoons are all over the place.

for some reason I find Scarletts southern accent hot.

As a kid, I really let the retarded notion of a snowpedo slide

The fact that the doctor was consoling her while Shipwreck was passed out kinda made me suspect they were intending to make her have real feelings before changing it.

Why were Cobra pilots so inept?

They literally got them by surprise and were firing down on them.

Cobra fucking sucks.

Also cobra is driving T-34's. What the fuck

Mook syndrome. Being nameless makes you shit and having no face time makes it worse. Here have a Poo in the Loo Cobra pilot.

Did they fuck afterwards?

Maybe

damn cobra had some pretty sexy women in their employ.

besides the baroness.

damn the third pic is wearing a thong? wow they got away with a lot of sexy women in the 80's.

Her costume changed several times in the episode. It's clear they just colored over her skin with the blue uniform color.

god damn thats hot. Cobra truly has the best girls.

Come on Holla Forums I thought you were better than this

So wait how come they did that whole setup instead of just torturing Shipwreck

And who was that blonde Cobra cadet operating the brain-o-matic, what was her point in the episode

Probably didn't think torture would work on him or he might sabotage it somehow.

The cadet was just some random nobody. That was the only time she was in the whole series.

I never thought much about the blonde cadet, but this time I happened to watch a documentary on sleep paralysis recently. So him caught in a dream like state while she's sitting on his chest yelling at him might have simply got in because someone on the writing staff had a dream paralysis hallucination and thought "well, that's something fucked up to add to the mix".

As for the set up… I have to assume they just happened to have the town set up like that. The idea that Cobra works out of a seemingly normal town called Springfield was also in the comics, so it fits in with their twisted version of the American dream.

I thought they were setting her up as Lady Jaye in disguise but then she turns out to have nothing to do with anything.

I was surprised that nothing or almost nothing turned out to be only a dream.

well this is Holla Forums not /k/.

I don't know whether to laugh or applaud his balsiness. Seriously I like how arrogant he is.

just curious though what would /k/ think of the cobra HISS tank?

They still could've done it by having his family still act like his family while in the fire but once out they could've had their eyes glow and turn them evil to make you question whether or not they genuinely cared before being destroyed and simply had their programming overridden. It would've been so subtle they could've got it past the censors.

It would be shit.

It's a shame with the movie they barely used the tanks. Also can you go into detail as why the HISS tanks would suck? are they too front heavy? is the design of their treads impractical?

but of course, he's juuuuust not bad enough to warrant the joes gettin serious and just killing the guy
that's exactly why he's lived so long, because he plays his opponents like a damn fiddle

Damn son

A lot of them tend to have really high profiles. Laser and autoloader versions aside I imagine it would be a pain in the ass to load the main gun. Big windshield isn't a good idea. You want your crew protected by armor. Those funky ass treads are just asking for trouble. It also seems like it exposes the underside which tends to have less armor.

But given the name High Speed Sentry, I imagine it's suppose to be a scout vehicle rather than a Main Battle Tank.

I forgot the Gamesmaster was 10 feet tall for some fucking reason

Nothing about him made any sense.

The main problems I have with the HISS is its high ground profile, comically exposed lower glacious and short track base.

Of course these problems aren't found on all iterations of the vehicle. The first one in is a bit high off the ground, and its tread design doesn't distribute the weight of the vehicle at all, but if it were lowered a few feet so the mid points of the treads touched the ground it could be a decent, if a bit bulky due to the engine being placed in the upper superstructure, SPAAG.

The second one is unsalvageable. It just keeps going higher and higher into eternity along with the overly exposed engine and transmission compartment giving it as much ground clearance as a family sedan, along with it not actually having a real suspension system kinda like a WW1 tank or bulldozer.

The movie ones are interesting because they appear to be based off of the German "armored cherry picker" concept they tried in the cold war. Which I cannot find a picture of for the life of me now that I need it The treads and running gear is rather exposed and the entire thing looks very light weight with not a whole lot of armor, its main defense would be not getting hit. Its basically Europe's vision of a tank in the cold war like the Leopard 1 and AMX-30. It still has a bit of a high profile, but it is definitely the least far fetched one with it being mix of two very explored concepts.

The original one looks more like an APC than a tank. Its problems are that its Too high up, and has no real suspension to speak of. Though the very high ground clearance would be excellent at resisting landmines and IEDs and the wide windscreen would be handy for low intensity conflicts.

So something more like a policing vehicle for populace suppression, but not ideal for action like taking over the world and fighting Joes?

Would be good for taking resource rich third world countries in Africa to further fund your world domination schemes if you got real suspension on it.

Now this should have been a GI Joe vehicle.

Forgot my file. COBRA RETREAT!

Yeah, I'd buy a toy of that.

Sorry, already claimed by NOD

>Baroness will never brainwash Lady Jaye to be her loyal aide and sex slave

Can't blame him.

Just go with the comic book version where he started out as a used car salesman.

Did you ever see that one longass post the guy made about Cobra Commanders history and how he's not a badass?

*is, I'm tired man
let me find it for you

I haven't seen the post but thank you user.

The source has been deleted, so sadly this is the only record of it, enjoy friendo
puu.sh/qEj6C/36f683f2d2.txt

The page looked pretty cool too, hwhat a shame.

thanks user.

…why am I suddenly picturing Cobra Commander as alternate universe Stan Pines?

come on guys! it even has the Cobra theme clashing with the Joe theme as the two factions battle it out over the statue of liberty on the 4th of July! sure the rest of the movie goes into "What the fuck were they thinking" territory but that opening is kick ass!

The clashing themes and everything else about the movie intro make it basically the easiest way to just explain what G.I.Joe is to a person. It's fucking perfect.

I loved that Cobra was Umbrella/Wal-Mart in Renegades.

Did they even make toys of any of the Renegades vehicles?

I don't think the line got past a few figures.

damn major bludd was a badass in this show.

He was pretty much a flesh Terminator. No mater what they hit him with he eventually got back up. Also Firefly jizzing himself whenever he started a fire.

They had an interesting take on all the Cobra guys. I think the only ones I wasn't really feeling was how they handled the Twins. But I'll never get to know how they'd change if they had gotten another season.

I thought the twins were arlgith. The one I didn't really care for was toilet paper ninja.

I liked all the ninja stuff (especially when it got very MGS) but if you're talking purely about his design, yeah, it could use some work. I know they wanted to be more interesting than just "white ninja" but that's honestly just a great, simple design that doesn't need much change.