How does one remove files from a computer with no chance of recovering them?

How does one remove files from a computer with no chance of recovering them?

incinerate the hard-drive, grind it to powder.

Well, I guess it depends on who you are hiding it from. If it is from your mother, then deleting it and then emptying recycling bin should be enough. If you want to hide it from the FBI and NSA then as stated above you grind that muhfucka to powder

That bad huh? I've wiped my harddrive with ccleaner and Moo0 along with a fresh OS install. I'm guessing that's not going to be enough?

Would having a very large water bottle on hand to douse my computer with suffice in an emergency?

Electron Microscope

I'd like to know this as well
I have a 2008 laptop that has seen its share of disgusting files pass through its hard drive

I recently got a new computer and willing to give my laptop to a family member since it is still in 100% good working condition & still fast since I kept up regular maintenance

But I don't want anyone to ever recover the disgusting files or previews or thumbnails ever again. I'm fucked if that happens

I need a way to wipe it clean with no chance of backup so I can safely give it to them without having to worry everyday they might find something I did not delete

Law Enforcement can prosecute from a single thumbnail, good luck deleting it. lol

I hear BleachBit is pretty good.

Goddamn, who are you anons hiding from?

Anyway, you would be shocked what these agencies can do even with a hard-drive that has been doused in water. I was watching a documentary where even they said that if you want to keep shit from them you have to physically destroy the thing so that it can not be put back together.

Acquiring bowling ball then.

what about melting the cunt?
there's plenty of guides on making homemade forges for melting shit like cans and other stuff, and hard drives are typically made from aluminium, right? surely that would be good enough and cost effective

Unless you do something really dumb law enforcement isn't going to come down on you. The only people with resources to recover files deleted in traditional ways are tech giants and alphabet soup agencies - neither of which are going to waste their efforts on the thumbnails of some nobody.
If you're the one producing the presumably-illegal content, and then uploading it to the internet, that's a different story.

Use dban

If conventional drive, use dban. If ssd, don't even try. Obliterate the drive and dispose of, preferably separating all the bits into different disposal units and at different time intervals to ensure the pieces are spread out

If you want to just shred particular files, use Heidi eraser. It also wipes unused disk space, so you can wipe deleted files while keeping your existing files intact. Again, don't bother with ssd.

You could also encrypt your drive and just forget the key anytime you want to make your data unrecoverable.

Also note that forensics can theoretically recover data from wiped/destroyed media, but, unless you're hiding plans to assassinate the president, simply zeroing out your data or physically smithering your device is good enough for 99.999999% of the time

webm related

For conventional drives, you don't have to melt the entire thing. Just open it up, remove the platters, and scratch/scuff the surfaces and break them to pieces. Ssd is a bit more tedious because you have to destroy the modules themselves, so open it up to ensure maximum exposure of internal components, bury it in the middle of a pile of charcoal in your grill, and let it burn

Shred the entire thing. 50 times.

How would swiping the hard-drive with a very powerful neodymium iron boron magnet work with an SSD?

if you're hiding stuff from your mother, it's enough to make a folder on the desktop and name it "temp"

she will never in a million years think to look there

1 zero out is enough. once the data has been over written that's it. it doesn't exist anymore.

Delete system32

couldn't you just microwave the SSD?

Heidi Eraser any method
For Maximum Paranoia Gutmann method

at least post the original

Small hard drives are dirt cheap, and they are easy to put in.
Buy one.
Put it in.
Install Windows.
Pull the hard drive out and set it aside.
Proceed as normal.
When you want to get rid of the computer, or when you think you might be getting v&, take out the regular hard drive and destroy it and put the clean one in.
Problem solved.

As far as destroying hard drives goes, you have to physically destroy the thing. In the case of SSD, that includes the components. Dismantle everything as much as possible, grind the disk surfaces and break them into pieces, incinerate the rest, separate whatever is left into a dozen separate piles and drop them in various storm drains, public toilets, lakes, rivers, and dumpsters.

It is a little bit of work, sure. But what is a couple hours when faced with a couple decades of federal prison? Because the only things you would need to be this aggressive with are the sorts of things that would get you that. The feds don't care about what you fap to. They only care about what you create and/or disseminate (upload).

take the drive
take the cpu
take the ram
burn them all until molten and cracked bits only remain
then pour acid on it until it all disintegrates

might wanna do it with everything including videocard too

You guys are WAY overthinking this.

If you need to get rid of something, toss it in the trash. Even if they see it in there, they can't pull it out because now it's all gross from being near the other trash.

wont post specifics but that isnt true
I threw away a floppy with cp on it and stupidly (this was like 8-10 years ago) had my name on the floppy. I also used it for work so that is why it had my name on it. We used to store our projects on floppy then upload at work to the boss. Anyway, i toss it away when we stop using floppies. Weeks later get a visit by a special someone for a meeting

SERIOUSLY, WHO THE FUCK GOES THROUGH THE TRASH AND PICKS UP A DISCARDED FLOPPY AND THEN LOOKS PUTS IT IN THEIR COMPUTER AND LOOKS AT ITS CONTENTS!

Some asshole was curious, saw the files, turned in a report, then authorities somehow managed to backtrace the garbage to my area and obviously they already had my name

I was so stupid

sudo srm -v /path/to/file/to/securely/delete/example.png

This does the trick. If you want to be even more save turn on drive encryption, encrypt whole drive, turn in off.

just tell it to please erase itself