ITT hardware that was utterly glorious on release...

ITT hardware that was utterly glorious on release, became famous for being the gold standard and utterly btfo any competition for at least six months and is still fondly remembered.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aureal_Vortex
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aureal_Vortex

No need to remember when it's still the best sound card 17 years on.

oldfaggin'

That's a big card

I remember when I bought my first PC (sorry didn't build it also Athlon parts were hard to come by)

Athlon 500
128? MB ram (I really don't remember)
TNT2 32mb

There was a LAN party the next weekend and it happened to be when Quake III was released. I stopped at Babbage's game store on the way to the party and picked up Quake III which was promptly installed on about 12 PCs.

Good times

Although I guess the 500 wasn't top because I think the 550 and maybe 600 were released at the same time. That PC still lasted me awhile and stomped what everybody else had when it was new

my man
I had a Viper V330, I still remember playing the original Jedi Knight on it

The geforce 6800 was pretty beastly for it's time, from memory it remained strong for a while.

I used my 8800GT for a really long time too. Actually I still keep it around as a backup of a backup just in case.

If one wanted to emulate an old Amiga just for fucks sake to see what it was like, where would one start?

Thanks, I've actually never heard of retroarch, probably shows how long it's been since I've fucked around with an emulator

Make Amiga Great Again

http s://fs-uae.net/

I wouldn't recommend retroarch for this thing, I can't even get it running myself and since 1.2 it massively sucks dicks

grab WinUAE and find a kickstarter rom

for you

I build a PC just like that. Including the Slot-A Athlon 500. That mother fucker overclocked to 666 MHz.
I even went all out and invested in SCSI drives because offloading disk I/O to a dedicated controller still had a huge positive performance impact back then.
I could print large documents, safely burn a CD, and encode MP3s all at once, while still browsing the web or doing word processing. At a time when most people couldn't even print without their computer locking up, and buffer underruns were considered a normal risk when burning CDs.

AMD AThlon K7 Thunderbird 1.4Ghz

Beautiful CPU

Ran hot as fuck

I have an old AMD Duron that uses the same Ceramic carrier. I miss when chip makers still used ceramic. It gave the chips a nice solid feel

I had my 1.4 Ghz Thoroughbred running at 2.56 Ghz (with homebrewed water cooling)

good times

The Powerbook G4 12"

I never overclocked my 500, should have but was afraid of overclocking.

One time I had the computer apart and when putting it back together I forgot to plug in the fan on the cpu. I booted up into Windows and used it for a few minutes before noticing that my leg was getting hot. The entire tower was hot as fuck and pulled the power immediately. Somehow it survived

Ahh the 9800pro, I had one of those.

I have the GeForce 6200 in my old desktop that still runs XP with 1 GiB of RAM

Oh man the Athlon. My old desktop has the Palomino XP 1600+ Athlon at 1.41 Ghz.

Too bad the computer is basically unusable now. May see if AntiX can save it.

G4 wasn't a very good laptop CPU and the PBG4/iBook designs helped start the current user-hostile laptop designs without easily opened cases, upgradable boards, or externally swappable bays. The PowerBook G3, on the other hand, was a beast. First laptop to outclass desktops, fastest laptop in any platform by a country mile (a gap made even wider by the fact it launched right at the start of Intel's pipeline extension clockspeed mania), so much faster than its predecessors that its 603e-derived chip caused the DEC Alpha-like 604e-derived version of the G3 to be killed in development when G3-based desktops happened, so much raw CPU power that even though the G3 CPU was pretty much the only new part in the almost untouched PB3400 that was the first PBG3 it still screamed.

I had an iBook g4 back in the day and loved it, but yeah, you're probably right.

Arhh I used love when computers and games came with big manuals and guide books. Then gradually they shrunk and shrunk until they became a slip of paper with a URL to a website or pdf if you're lucky.

I had a PowerBook G4 (Tibook) back in the day too, gorgeous machine.

I miss the comfy Geforce 8800 GT days ;__;

I remember the powerbook G3/G4s being basically the only laptops that could into photoshop about as well as a desktop.

>tfw Apple used to be based, at least for 1990s computer companies

I want an old mac II, still
Among other legacy hardware

Why is this a thing? Yes, let's use a word some dumb nigger started. OMG lil b gonna let him fug all dem white wominz so based!

Because we're speaking English on an American-centric imageboard and black people invented basically all of our slang from the 1950s onward?

Call anything "cool" lately?
I bet you have, you "motherfucker"

Voodoo 2 and SoundBlaster Live were both high quality. The model M is probably the best keyboard I've ever used, but I've not tried a modern mechanical keyboard yet, so they might have been surpassed..

Never forget

Continuing your post with the "you need this to play Crysis" card. 8800GTs and GTX260s will always remind me of the late 2000s. I have a feeling that in 10 years those cards are gonna show up in legacy builds (I don't want to say retro) the same way that people are building 486 systems for DOS games or PIII/Voodoo/Aureal builds.

I know what those chips are but I don't know what this would be an expansion board for

An Amiga 1200
As well as a faster cpu/fpu, it added 8mb of RAM which was in the realm of 'more than you'll ever need'.
Most of all the board was affordable, especially compared to the 68060

I can't remember what the expansion pins were for. May have been a SCSI bus.