Fear of Windows 10

With Microsoft's push for Xbone + Windows 10 only games, and video card hardware only being supported by Windows 10, are we moving to a 1984 level of cuckoldry in video gaming?

These are truly dark days...

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/nEUYT
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-win10-fury&num=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System
zdnet.com/article/lenovo-reportedly-blocking-linux-on-windows-10-signature-edition-pcs/
archive.is/chPw1
support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd031426.
youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ
github.com/fuchsia-mirror
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/magenta
androidpolice.com/2016/08/12/google-developing-new-fuchsia-os-also-likes-making-new-words/
androidauthority.com/we-compiled-fuchsia-os-710491/
hardocp.com/article/2016/04/17/hitman_2016_performance_video_card_review/10
hardocp.com/article/2016/03/28/rise_tomb_raider_dx11_vs_dx12_review/8
extremetech.com/gaming/223858-the-new-gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-is-a-dx12-disaster
pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-dx12-boost-for-amd-still-cant-match-nvidias-dx11-performance/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Linux support is going up by the day. AMD are getting their shit together to make good drivers, and nvidia's have been good (performance-wise, at least) for ages. Vulkan is soon coming to a game engine near you, and hopefully will help ease the transition to Linux. The fuck are you on about, m80?

could it be? is it really?
2016 YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Considering there are retards using steam even here, it's long been past you stupid faggot

Is this retard serious?

Have you got any evidence that I'm wrong?

archive.is/nEUYT

Lenovo is shit, what's new? There's no confirmation that Microsoft requires it, that's just what some minimum-wage street shitter tech support said. It's too early to be sure whether this is Lenovo or MS's fault. In the case that it is a result of an agreement with MS, that's anticompetitive and so they'll most likely end up getting the shit sued out of them by the EU.

I am following this story though, I'm interested to know who they'll end up pinning it on

I refuse to belive that since I have 390 and drivers (open and properitary) are still shit when you compare them to windows drivers. Also Vulkan is nice alternative to DX but this doesn't mean that everyone gonna use it in near future.

"Getting" was the key word, present tense. They're not so good but at least there's progress. phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-win10-fury&num=1

call me when AMD reach at least 90% of their windows driver performance .

With Sony's push for PS3+PSP only games, and Blu-Ray hardware only being supported by Playstation 3, are we moving to a 1984 level of cuckoldry in video gaming?

With Nintendo's push for motion control only games, and touchscreen hardware only being supported by Wii U, are we moving to a 1984 level of cuckoldry in video gaming?

With Valve's push for DRM only games, and Steam only being supported by Ubuntu 12.04, are we moving to a 1984 level of cuckoldry in video gaming?

With OP's dildo pushed so far up his anus,

Do you realize that Microsoft has enough pull over the computing world that it could actually force game devs to do this? If a game company refuses to make a game Win10 only, it is completely within the realm of things Microsoft would do to send out an update to Win7, 8, and 10 that prevents them from supporting the game at all, resulting in said game becoming a complete and total market flop. If MS threatens this, game devs are left with a choice between supporting Windows, the most popular desktop gaming OS in the world, or GNU/Linux, which makes up less than 2% of the desktop market, with no way to choose both. If my goal were to make money, I know damn well what I'd pick.

All those shit news every day about tech giant faggotry
One day I will just not be able to go into the internet because my computers will all break down and I will refuse to buy windows spyware computers and other hardware that will only accept windows botnet shit.

They have the technical means but it wouldn't be safe legally.

oh no, what ever will I do without great modern video games like...

other than that, what's new? MS tried the same shit with DirectX 10 and Vista, we all know how well that turned out
Devs are still going to make games for PS4 and XBone alike, with shoddy Windows ports as an afterthought. Once in a blue moon there might even be a GNU/Linux or Mac OS X port.
And one day, PC / Windows gamers will have to upgrade to Windows 10. Because when they're done bitching and moaning, they still won't stop playing videogames and take everything MS throws at them up the ass

So, nothing will change, everything will be shit as usual, only with higher version numbers.

What the fuck are you on about? That's complete horseshit. Please explain how the hell they'd make a patch like that without
a. stopping other games from working
b. the patch being circumvented
c. a gigantic PR shitstorm from the whiniest group of gamers imaginable (i.e. PC gamers)

Not to mention that Microsoft alone couldn't make a game fail because the PC gaming market is only a small subsection of the entire video games market

I game on PC the last few months only ,since selling my ps3 the market outside of steam and ea , is way smaller than xbox one and ps4..

Nah, OP, unless the AAA gaymin industry actually gets it's shit together and makes gud gaems, naye. WINE will reign superior.

You can't even install libreboot anymore user. Acutally, if anything is reaching 1984 levels of cuckoldry, it's the lack of libre hardware, not software, which is the main shitshow.

Could you ever? It only ever supported a handful of motherboards, and the first AMD ones got support a few months ago.

The industry has been preparing for this for a long time.

Big players like Valve, Epic and Bethesda have expressed their thoughts on the Windows Universal Platform.

The future of PC gaming is in Linux, Windows gaming will become an xbox extension.

Libreboot is irrelevant, the context was video game drivers

shit I mean video card drivers, for use in video games

Fair enough. WINE can support x11 if I'm correct though, which is what most games use, x12 has almost no vidya however:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
Most of these can also still support X11, meaning, again, WINE will still work.
Some may be exclusive to X12, but most of these are either:
Indie devs would have no need for X12, as the resources most have available means that they wouldn't need all the rendering power of X12, not to mention the fact that most would be more used to X11 than X12
So essentially, unless the AAA industry picks up some slack and makes gud gaems, most who both use linux and like vidya can and will use wine.

Are there even any AAA games worth playing anymore? Only games I've been exited for have been Fallout 4 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the first was such a letdown just from what I've heard with how much they stripped out from New Vegas that I can't bring myself to care about it and for the second I'm not sure about supporting a game that is trying to push microtransactions.

Probably not a good idea to use x11 as shorthand for dx11 when talking about Linux/WINE, x11 has an entirely different meaning in the Unix world: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

and also no, IIRC wine's dx11 support is shit right now although they are working on it

WINE is garbage.

no,
Personally I have stooped playing any games since ME3.
A friend proposed me to play Fallout 3 and I was a big fan of the series, I tried, I stopped after an hour and I though
So it only reinforced my belief that the industry was fucked.

You sure about, bruh?

zdnet.com/article/lenovo-reportedly-blocking-linux-on-windows-10-signature-edition-pcs/
archive.is/chPw1

>"To improve system performance, Lenovo is leading an industry trend of adopting RAID on the SSDs in certain product configurations. Lenovo does not intentionally block customers using other operating systems on its devices and is fully committed to providing Linux certifications and installation guidance on a wide range of products -support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd031426. Unsupported models will rely on Linux operating system vendors releasing new kernel and drivers to support features such as RAID on SSD."

FO3 really isn't that great. I played it after New Vegas and couldn't get into it due to how shitty the interaction was (my character with rather low speech and charisma was able to convince a group of people to donate blood with used needles to a group of cannibals who just drank blood and considered themselves to be vampires) and how it seems like developers were randomly assigned small areas to come up with ideas for that were then put together regardless of if they actually made sense as a whole. According to Steam I only managed 18 hours (over a period of weeks).

Video games are already dead in the west. The crash isn't coming, it's already happened.

The only things worth playing are a few niche titles from Japan, and those are all console exclusives because Japan never really got into the whole "PC" thing. Well that and VN's anyways.

No they don't.

Sorry freetard, your deluded fabricated idealism doesn't agree with reality

In reality, Nvidia sold over 20 million Maxwell based gaming laptops

a gaming laptop typically costs a minimum of 1k

and this only counted Maxwell based laptops, this isn't even mentioning the sales of individual graphics cards or gaming desktops

Based on this information, we can infer PC gaming is indeed much larger than even console gaming

this

since most games these days are infinitely discardable who gives a shit?
When was the last game released that you SIMPLY MUST HAVE A PHYSICAL COPY of?
Also have you fired up and games that are 5+ years old from physical media? Good luck getting that shit to install.

You games were cucked the minute they were tied to windows well before steam.

This.

what the actual fuck? for one thing, who would ever use SSDs in a raid configuration, secondly, why wouldn't there just be an option in the bios to change the configuration from RAID to AHCI?

I don't see it being that far outside the realm of probability, they've already released updates that poz their system with adware, and more updates that force-update everything to win10, as well as a patch that made win7/8 "non-certified" on systems with secureboot, leaving a lot of consumers unable to use their computer at all, and then some update that bricked systems with certain hardware

at this point, I would put nothing past microsoft

my sapphire nitro rx480 runs great in WIN 7 SP1
currently waiting on amdgpu-pro for my distro because mhwd conflicts with it and they are slow as fuck with patching shit and im too lazy to figure it out myself. otherwise the normal amdgpu driver runs fine but idk about gaymes.

topkek son

People who aren't retarded, I understand how you wouldn't be able to relate
Why wouldn't I want a physical copy? I'm not some poorfag with no space, or some retard who uses steam
Yes, and they're extremely easy to install if you're not retarded
Just because you have a paper cut doesn't mean you should cover it with AIDS infected shit you retard

0/11 not even trying

aww need some lotion for dat edge?

They take up space, require slow drives to load, are usually loaded with bullshit cdProtektTM, go out of date due to patches on day one and these days you will need multiple media.

Also WHAT GAME DO YOU SO DESPERATELY NEED PHYSICAL MEDIA FOR? I MUST KNOW!

oo moar edge. You must be a kid because I have shit thats older than that will never load again. MS kill off their dependencies for the installers.

What the point of having a physical copy when you have to download the fixed version of the web? you are just autistic at this point.

windows fag detected. Windows is the AIDS, steam is just a symptom. Your precious OS is shit and is the reason why steam exists homo.

Does this count as AAA game?

They could all be gaming laptops, if not for the fact that they're shackled with widescreen shits.

youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

Not totally relevant but I had to

That's why, in my opinion, it's somewhat foolish to buy one. Do you really game hardcore on the go? Do you need a PC's full power with you at all times? Do you simply have no room at home, or spend all your time away from it? All right, that's true in some cases, but that's a minority. You can build a solid gaming desktop for $400, and spend just $100 on something for lite portable gaming, like a tablet PC or a handheld console. I think this is a wiser option for most people.

Am I the only one who used to get moist upon seeing old-school desktops with either temp or CPU speed digitally displayed on the case?

Windows 10 is the best OS right now. Even better than OSX.

They have broken the law before, and they attempt to do so in such a manner that they won't be caught.

you should buy "physical copies" of modern games
if you're lucky, you'll actually get a DVD containing the steam / origin setup file instead of just a download key

0/10, would not look at

my 2008 macbook runs 10.8.5 and it is significantly more usable than win 10

p sure ds games run fine on 3ds fam

You're missing the point. The fact 20+ million 1k+ machines dedicated to gaming have been sold in the past 3 years alone tells me gaming is certainly not dead in the west (and certainly not PC gaming) as the original weeb poster had implied

I have no desk space, and "gaming" laptops (at least where I live) are typically cheaper (by about 100 to 200 bucks but it still makes a big difference) than equivalent "business class" laptops like the Dell XPS series. The main difference between business class and gaming class laptops are the following;
1.) Business class laptops are thinner

2.) Business class laptops have more aggressive thermal throttling and lower thermal tolerances

Likewise, gaming laptops are much thicker unless you get into the 2k territory, the difference is you get a much better cooling system and higher thernal tolerances. Anything above the 1.5k range will just be improving build quality and thickness. Gaming laptops will also have the gaming
Aesthetic
That may be undesirable for business users

Regardless, I like laptops better than desktops because I like the idea of the screen, keyboard, and mouse all contained within the same unit

And they went quietly back to making windows games. Or their massive pull to make linux tools was significant and has made game coding easier, but linux is still at 1% on steam and DECREASING!
The only thing in recent memory that made cross-platform gamedev standards important are smartphones(see vulkan tests being done on the Samsung S6).

And is this because linux usage is decreasing or because windows usage is increasing more quickly?

regardless of which, linux is still a very minor player, then.

Um, last I checked all of Valve's games have Linux support and most of Epic's money comes from their cross platform Unreal engine (with Linux as a supported platform). Microsoft's UWP would also seriously harm Steam so Valve is fighting it for that reason as well.

What's ntoskrnl.exe usage like on the Play Store?

Except Steam supports Linux, gives you Linux versions of Windows games you purchased through Steam for free if available to make it easier to move to Linux, and for a time Valve tried pushing Linux as an alternative to Windows though it seems they have given up on that now.

The fight against microsoft is still going strong. A battle like this unfortunately takes longer than your attention span can handle.

I really don't pay attention to news about games now days. Apparently they changed the name from the Steam Box to the Steam Machine before releasing it and I hadn't heard any news about it so I thought it died before release and got replaced with their Steam streaming hardware.

I want to believe ;_;

Google is planning on replacing the Linux kernel with an in-house *nix kernel for future version of Android because they're sick of dancing with mainline kernel devs

It doesn't matter anyways because while Android does use the Linux kernel its still just the Android OS

Tell me freetard. What's the GNU OS' usage like on the Play Store?

What are you getting at here?

Do you happen to have a source for that?

Even better, I have a Github
github.com/fuchsia-mirror

It runs on the Magenta kernel
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/magenta

It's ok, brothers. Fight on for a brighter day.

That's what I thought. You're making some very bold claims about this.

Is there any good reason to believe this will be a new Android base instead of just an IoT OS or something?

Is there anything to suggest that Magenta is a reaction to problems with mainline Linux developers?

Is it even Unix-like?

androidpolice.com/2016/08/12/google-developing-new-fuchsia-os-also-likes-making-new-words/

That didn't answer any of my questions.

And if you're wondering if its UNIX-like
androidauthority.com/we-compiled-fuchsia-os-710491/

Magenta is obviously a hybrid kernel, like Windows NT and OSX, The microkernel that makes up Magenta is the Little Kernel

It states that they already have a user interface developed and ARM as a build target

Do the math fam. Its over

That doesn't tell me if it's a Unix-like. With a Unix-like I mean something POSIXy and Unix-compatible, in case that wasn't clear.

If it has a ls command and a /boot directory it's clearly taking things from Unix, but there's a huge difference between naming things like Unix and being a drop-in Linux replacement.

User interfaces are generally useful and just about everything runs ARM. Developing a new user interface actually makes no sense if you just want to replace Linux and leave the top of Android intact.

The things you're saying work as wild speculation but you're stating them like facts.

This is just the same tired shit they pulled back in '06-07. They made a new shit OS no one wanted to use, so they tried to force the market to adopt by holding features and programs hostage on the shitty new windows.

It didn't work then; but it will probably work now because the last decade somehow turned most people into an brain-dead cuck that just needs to suck the cock of some sort of authority or else they will die. In this case it's the Microsoft Corporation.

user I really want Linux and AMD to succeed to and break up the MS/Intel shitshow but it just isn't happening. At least not as smoothly as you imply.

How many layers of irony are you on right now?

I don't need to try. WINE is equivalent to a bag of shit.

They couldn't even keep Quantum Break Win10 exclusive now it's just Steam exclusive

This weekend I wanted to install linux on my main desktop to run a win10 VM with pci passthrough. Mostly to play forza horizon 3 cause I'm a sucker for this kind of game, but after reading up on the intel managment engine and AMDs platform security processor. What difference does it make if I contain win10 in a vm if these fucking chips on my motherboard can spy on me anyway. the solution would be to get a thinkpad with libreboot for browsing and computing and use the desktop only for gaming but that would mean turning my pc into a console. A very pricey console because Microshit doesn't let you even download the game unless you meet the min specs ( GTX970 and some i7 3820 or something like that ) what the fuck should I do, the more interesting option now is to be a good goy a buy a xbone scorpio shitbox FOR ONE GAME if im gonna have a gaming only device anyway.

WHAT IS HAPPENING
MICRO$HIT PLS STOP

Libreboot is nice but Windows in a VM is still acceptable. You might get spied on, but it's certainly a lot less than if you gave up completely.

I'm currently playing exanima, it is a nifty game with no drm but it is early access the game uses opengl but doesn't have any mac or linux builds, I was wondering how much performance am I likely to be losing running it with wine

Why would you trust reverse engineered firmware owned by a single violent sociopath over a company with a million eyes on it?

Yeah but back then they were high off the XP craze and thought they could tell us to do anything. This time it's the "oh shit if this doesn't work we might go under" craze and they're even worse than last time because not only did they take the hit from Vista but also from 8, 8.1, and their failure to penetrate the smart phone and tablet markets. Despite this, if the bullshit around windows 10 doesn't force people to switch to linux (or other free OS's) then I don't think anything will.

Stardew valley and rimworld run pretty good on linux mint 17.2, just gotta turn the resolution down because intel graphics card

also here is my shitty guideo >>>/poltech/66

it's a pretty cool pic user

You have no idea just how much cash Microsoft has. They could start burning money and it'd take many years for them to go under. Windows 10 is being pushed the way it is because their CEO has a bonus tied to the number of installs.

Only DX9 is anywhere near complete in Wine, though. DX10 and 11 are still very much work-in-progress.

The good news is that due to the low-level nature of DX12 it will be much less work to implement than the earlier versions. Will need to be done on top of Vulkan though, and driver support for that is still very limited.

Your post is garbage.

Probably not much, if any.

That list only tells half the story. Most games that have DX12 'Support added on' it's generally recommended not to use it because of stability and performance issues. Those games only added on DX12 for marketing, most PC gamers know it doesn't do shit.

And since this seems like something that might be an exaggeration I'll post several examples;

hardocp.com/article/2016/04/17/hitman_2016_performance_video_card_review/10

hardocp.com/article/2016/03/28/rise_tomb_raider_dx11_vs_dx12_review/8

extremetech.com/gaming/223858-the-new-gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-is-a-dx12-disaster

pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-dx12-boost-for-amd-still-cant-match-nvidias-dx11-performance/

www.pcworld.com/article/3055964/software/quantum-break-pc-review-a-time-bending-adventure-hobbled-by-technical-mishaps.html

If it weren't for the incredibly corrupt nature of journalism in this industry DX12 would have been called out as a massive blunder that is seriously jeopardizing Microsoft's position in the gaming industry. When they're making their once Windows 10 exclusive games work on Windows 7 there's no denying that they're in a precarious position.

They've been pushing legally questionable shit for years now, and its ramping up even further with locked OSes on laptops.

Welcome to 2009

Physical copies going away is something that is happening all across the board. Not just on PC.

Here's the thing. Prior to Steam, there was Games For Windows Live. And one of the biggest reasons people despised Games for Windows Live was entirely because Steam was better in almost every way. Personally I think hating Steam is irrational especially since it does very little to inconvenience you and is cross platform.

Physical copies on PC was always very inconvenient to me. Like I remember there would always be issues like DRM, having to deal with CD keys etc. And it always felt like it was just better to pirate the game anyway so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle. It's a big reason why the used gaming market for PC was basically non-existent because it was really hard to sell a game that could flat out just not work anymore because it was tied to a service that was shut down 5 years ago.

Consoles are also slowly losing physical copies. And it's eventually predicted that either consoles will become streaming set boxes or will become obsolete in favor of phone cradles on a person's television. I don't foresee Microsoft and Sony battling it out for more than another generation.

I'm personally not a guy who likes physical copies of things. I have physical copies of games and they end up taking up a lot of my space in my house. And I know people like having that "muh collection" thing but I much prefer a more minimalist living environment where I don't have shrines to my autism on my shelves.

The only time I really dislike digital only is when companies decide to shut down their servers. A good example is recently Nintendo announced they're going to shut down the DSi's storefront. Which is eventually going to occur for the 3ds. And that's a lot of digital only games that would get lost to time if it wasn't for pirates.

The other thing is that games have evolved since 20 years ago, when you'd just buy a game and that was it. Now there are entire games where their selling point is continuously updating content. Like a good example is League of Legends or Dota 2. Where you download a free game and it constantly updates with new content for you.

Now while you could say you dislike this business model. It's where gaming has been drifting towards. It's already come to a point where you can't put a game on a physical disk without having to download 8 gigabytes of patches or more to actually play it with other people. And at that point the disk is just symbolic.

Personally I view it the same as still trying to buy physical albums of music.

Your post tells the whole story of why WINE sucks and everyone using it is a fox wanting grapes faggot.