Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA! ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES! ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!! ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR! ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor". Not a "emacsitor". Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi? No. Emacs? Surely
you jest. They chose the most karmic editor of all. The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on. If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs. If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi. If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION. THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS. DO NOT GIVE IN!!! THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

aon.iki.fi/files/emacsed/emacsed.el
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009604599/utilities/ed.html
gnu.org/software/ed/manual/ed_manual.html
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man1/ed.1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ed is for faggots
t. nano

nano is for faggots
t. vim

vim: let's just be friends ok?
t. emacs

ed rocks, anyone who says different is a teletype-deprived subhuman.

All hail to the Ed God.
There is no god but Ed. UNIX is Ed's platform.

This shit the OP is ripping from the GNU (((``humor''))) page is so stale it's not even copypasta, it's just dust at this point

Microsoft once again does what *Nix don't. Eat it unix babies hahah!

no syntax highlighting by default? pure shit

unix was before dos, suck it

acceptable

unacceptable

Don't talk to me or my wife's text editor ever again.

But how was ed written??

But UNIX wasn't relevant before System V, which came out in 1983, MS-DOS was initially released in 1981.

Such it, nerds.

heil ed tbh

:^)

CP/M had ed before DOS, and DOS is just a shitty ripoff of CP/M. Suck it DOS nerd.

You think that somehow gives UNIX points?

CP/M had the superior WordStar that was ported to DOS and Windows only

psst, nothin personel, kid

Fuck off DOS nigger, you can't even admit when someone corrects you.

What shitty code

I loved it so much I removed it from my system.
t. Nano user

Using nano for something it's not designed to do is detrimental to your efficiency

Writes text: Check
Mouse support: Check
Line numbers: Check
Syntax highlighting: Check
Find: Check
Replace: Check
Color: Check
Regex: Check
Softwrap: Check
Indent: Check
Widechar: Check

I think I'm good.

you're fucking dead, kiddo

Ed is something that everybody should know, but nobody should ever use unless they need to.

I never use it normally, but when I'm working on a client system through a shit VPN on their shit network and vi takes 10 seconds to refresh the screen, I'm glad I know ed. When I'm on some esoteric ancient system that doesn't know any sort of terminal info that I can feed it, so a full-screen editor turns into a jumbled fucking nightmare, I'm glad I know ed.

So if you don't know ed, go learn it. Wait a week, then refresh it. Then when you need it, you'll be glad you know it. Otherwise you don't ever need to think about it again.

It helps that ed is so fucking easy to learn that you can do it in like 10 minutes; and that's learning all the functionality front-to-back.

I unironically use ed when I want to keep prior terminal output on the screen while I edit. It's actually not bad — it does exactly what it's supposed to do and does it well.

tbh I dream of making an ed fork that supports modern features like arrow keys and calling up files from the shell

Just run Emacs.
aon.iki.fi/files/emacsed/emacsed.el

You are now aware that a huge part of the appeal of line-oriented text editors is the avoidance of bloat.

Adding features to ed is missing the point.

Not really. The point of ed in modern times is not to be extremely small, it's to still work when your terminal is so primitive/fucked that it can only manage a shell. An ed with more features doesn't break with that use case. GNU ed has useful extensions.

It's an original UNIX utility. The point is to do one thing and do it well. Being able to open a file in ed with
ed file.txt
rather than
ede file.txt
would not really be adding more functions to ed so much as helping it be a better editor. I'm not suggesting packaging the damn thing with an Eliza plugin.

I don't know what kind of implementation you have that doesn't support that, but it's not POSIX-compliant.
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009604599/utilities/ed.html

Do you realize that you can justify any feature with this?

Yeah, proper readline would be nice.

gnu.org/software/ed/manual/ed_manual.html

teco strong
@[email protected]/* *//{^EQQ,/#@[email protected]/* *//,^EQQ}/@-1S/{/#@^UR#.U1ZJQZ\^SC.,.+-^SXQ-^SDQ1J#@^U9/[]-+.,/J30000/ />ZJZUL30000J0U10U20U30U60U7@^U4/[]/@^U5#/{/Q2\@i/,/Q6\@i/}/Q6J0;'-1%1' >#[email protected]/* *//end/'(0A-45)"=QPJ0AUTDQT-[email protected]/* */// [email protected]/* *//end/'(0A-60)"=QP-[email protected]/* *//end/'(0A-62)"=[email protected]/* *//end/'(0A-46)"=-.+QPA^T(-.+QPA-10)"=13^T'@O/end/'(0A-44)"=^TUT [email protected]/* */[email protected]/* *//end/'(0A-91)"=-.+QPA"=QI+1UZQLJMRMB\-1J.UI'@O/end/'(0A-93)"=-.+QPA"NQI+1UZQLJMRMC\-1J.UI'@O/en d/'!end!QI+1UI(.-Z)"=.=@^a/END/^c^c'C>

Huh, my old Mint's install of GNU ed didn't support readline. Looks like my new CentOS's does though.

I assure you that it's much more than one small step from arrow keys to embedded web browsers.

You can always use rlwrap if you want simple readline support.

Works for me.
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man1/ed.1

the fuck

Like vi was based on ed, the original Emacs was based on TECO. TECO is a bit more powerful than ed. That series of instructions implements Brainfuck.