Driverless cars

Should we give up control & perhaps ownership in the name of safety,and convenience?

youtube.com/watch?v=ETsYpdz3SDE

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/p/free-software-even-more-important
archive.is/20160210113631/http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alphabet-autos-selfdriving-exclusive-idUSKCN0VJ00H
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's a false dilemma. The software running driverless cars could be free software without losing any safety or convenience. It would give you true ownership of and full control over your car's behavior.

From the way you type I'm guessing that you're new to this place. Read this for a quick introduction to what I'm talking about:
gnu.org/p/free-software-even-more-important

I'll just be taking the bus if there's lots of those cars on the road.

Enjoy your bedbugs I guess.

Reminder that self driving cars will be full botnet:

archive.is/20160210113631/http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alphabet-autos-selfdriving-exclusive-idUSKCN0VJ00H

My advice: Either start using public transport, get a bike or buy a horse.

The cars could also use Qualcomm hardware, in which case they would truly be driverless

You do realize that Tesla runs Linux, right?

Tesla sucks a thousand cocks.

Ralph Nader doesn't think so and if there's one thing he knows it's car safety. He is wrong about stuff every now and then though, probably because he doesn't own a damn computer.

That's not all that important, actually. They could run anything else in its place. It's nice, but what really matters is whether what they run on top of Linux is free software. It isn't.

checkmate

Don't care, because if a car runs into the bus, or if the bus runs into a car, the car is totalled.

You left out motorcycles which will likely stay available (self driving cars will likely be forced by high insurance premiums before government regulation and motorcycles could take an order of magnitude increase in insurance rates without being much more expensive to insure than a is car currently) and mopeds which are given an exception in some states from needing registration/plates/insurance (basically legally treated as bikes even though they have a motor).

I wonder how many people will die before it becomes remotely safe

Considering they're starting off by using it as an autopilot where the driver still has to pay attention, none. Any death during development would be the fault of the driver unless the autopilot fails in such a way that the driver can't use the controls (unlikely as they'd work out that problem before testing anywhere it could be an issue).

People are dying and getting injured from Tesla's auto drive

Uber is starting to offer driverless cars

More likely is them condemning automated cars as transsexist or racist towards Pygmies or some shit.

It's already more safe than actual drivers for reasons outlined in the video. I'm going to guess that you made that statement without any knowledge about the statistical success of current self driving car prototypes.

People that have opinions on topics that they are ignorant about are the biggest cancer of this world.

The answer is no, and we'll be able to have non-driverless cars for another decade or two until legislation forces people to adopt them.

It's likely that somewhere around the midpoint you'll be forced to get special drivers licenses that are significantly more strict than the modern ones today, and designed so only a very select few can get them - requiring a significant investment in time / effort / money.

Also, electric bicycles are becoming a thing too. So if you have a long commute you can flip the switch and zoom to work. But most people here probably could use the exercise.

Underrated.

That's assuming that you have the knowledge and time to go through the source code and modify it at your will.

I don't have full control over my linux machine because I don't know how many things work. And even the things I want to change I just can't be bothered to change.

We also have to account for the media outcry that will happen as soon as someone just slightly modify their autonomous car. Particularly if it goes poorly. Also major governments such as the US and EU will want to have control over these cars and the meta data they collect. So they won't be too happy about opensource cars and won't allow them for the sake of "safety".

The issue with that is that it will either be an electric motorcycle or take a fairly long time. But sure if you have normally a, lets say, 20 min bikeride it makes a lot of sense.

If it's open source, the user could compromise its effectiveness.

REMINDER THAT SELF DRIVING CARS ARE LITERALLY BOTNET.
They're a fucking camera setup on wheels. Full 3D data streaming live to Jewgle in realtime. Full 3D data potentially going straight to the feds. They'll know who's where, who's going where and when and so on, without the trouble of expensive camera setups like the UK got, all for the privilege of lazy shits not having to drive to work in rush hour traffic every day.

Protip. Drivable cars will remain for off-road and service positions, plus maybe for classic car enthusiasts? If it matters to you, keep that in mind.

Once you give up control, you're not getting it back without a fight.

I don't think self-driving cars will supersede normal cars within our lifetimes. They will probably replace taxi services, but they are going to be extremely expensive initially, too much for most people. Additionally think of the infrastructure cost of having a docking station for the cars on every single street, or even every second, third, etc street. The more stations you place the more it'll cost, but the fewer you place the longer people have to wait for them to arrive and the less convenient they become. Additionally if you live anywhere that is the slightest bit rural there's no way in hell self-driving cars will be viable in those locations.

I know there are pitfalls involved with moving to self-driving cars, but I have to commute 3 hours/day by car. I think of all of the other things I could be doing in that 15 hours, and I salivate a bit. I could nap. I could read a book, or chat with a friend online, or take an online class. Having 15 more productive hours a week would mean a lot to me.

Kike me with your botnet cars, Alphabet. My body is ready.

This is why it's inevitable. There is far too much money and time to be saved by autonomous transportation. We can only hope there will be ways to avoid the botnet.

We should be investing in proper rail already before we blow more money on one of the least efficient modes of mass transit.

So I attended a spatial sciences event recently, and one of the talks was about V2X, the sort of tech that smart cars require for communication. Apparently the USA is looking at requiring it in newer cars for "safety". Obviously it hasn't done so yet, but as the required infrastructure comes together (the talk was focused on the GPS side because their precision is inadequate for certain things, like determining which lane a car is in, and it doesn't work in some areas, notably tunnels) it may well become a concern.

Also I plan to buy an older car and get around on bike as much as possible, I despise the idea of "Apple" cars for maintenance reasons alone.

It may not happen within our lifetimes, but it's certainly the goal for the agenda 21 types that have a grip on your local and state government. It will be incremental and you'll see places like Seattle, WA or Boulder, CO that have public transportation try to tax private ownership out of existence first

There's one thing that triggers me and it is people who dismiss driverless cars because "b-but what if they run someone over or crash! i get that it's much rarer b-but there's nobody to punish!"