The Shadow - 1941 Hiter's Astrologer

Oy vey it's Da Shadow vs the Nazzies and reveals how it was he who was the one who tricked Hitler into invading Russia all along.
Written by Denny O'Neil with great art by Michael Kaluta.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W6ihwNrvHxY
mediafire.com/download/c4g87f5p7j3p4x7/epubs.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's based Goebbels

it was just a prank

And the end

What an abrupt ending, but if you missed WW2 that's what happened

Cool, I've never really read a Shadow story before. I'll check it out right after dinner.

Shadow v.s. Grendel is really good.

The old radio shows with Orson Welles used to be on the net, but it got yanked.

Copyrights are forever goy! Stop stealing our product!

What are you talking about? They're all over the net

since there's some people in here I'll post another drawn by Kaluta, Hell's Heat Wave. This was during The Shadow's stint at Dark Horse. the art is OK for the most part, probably was better in Hitler's Astrologer, but what really shines is how Kaluta draws the Shadow himself. it is absolutely perfect and achieves what so many other artists these days fail at.
also including the typical mid-90's comic book advertisements.

MY NAME IS CUBAN PETE

look out! ghost!

remember when Rogue Squadron was a thing?

back before cons were full-blown normie shit

this page deserves a post all to itself

spoilers the nigger did it

I love the Shadow's face here

'whoa i didn't think they'd actually do anything'

Harlan Ellison's floating red fat man

who doesn't remember the classic beloved character Screwball Squirrel?

and ending on a page where Doc Savage looks like Jack Nicholson

Only in the 30's!

damn this shit was good. Thanks user!

Tex Avery hated Screwball Squirrel.

I heard a story once where a fan sent Avery some mail with Screwball Squirrel painstakingly drawn on the envelope.

Avery didn't even open it. He took one look at it and threw it in the trash.

why does he hate screwball squirrel so much?

What was his problem?

Love him or hate him Razorfist knows The Shadow pretty well, as a longtime fan I think he's right on the money (except that I think Blood and Judgement was complete trash)

youtube.com/watch?v=W6ihwNrvHxY

Yeah when it comes to comics I pretty much trust him with Daredevil and the Shadow.

Hell I'm surprised there aren't more people here throwing a shit fit over Razorfist since whenever he's mentioned here people lose their shit.

Not a fan of his usually but he's got my respect for how much he loves the Shadow and how hard he's trying to educate others on the character's immense merit.

Has anyone got Grendel v.s. Shadow to storytime?

yeah I have that and some other actually good stuff from Dynamite I'd like to post, later today if I can, assuming there's enough interest in here of course

until then if anyone is interested I have a zip of all the actual pulps in epub form:

mediafire.com/download/c4g87f5p7j3p4x7/epubs.zip

Everybody hated Screwball. His final cartoon ended with him being crushed to death. It even says on the Wiki article he had no redeeming or sympathetic features even compared to Bugs or Daffy.

alright you lot here I am with Grendel vs Shadow
gonna state the obvious and say that like almost every crossover (especially one with time travel) this one has a pretty flaccid ending 'whoa almost got him!' sort of thing
Now Matt Wagner's hands down the best current day Shadow writer, as he both loves the character dearly AND knows how to write a good story, if I'm up for it one of these days I'll post his other works

well there ya go. next time I think i'll post the Green Hornet crossover,assuming people still wanna read any.

Fuck yes. Hunter Rose was completely in his element in 1930's New York. In Gotham, he always came off like a fucking tourist.

Say, does anyone have the ultra-rare original B&W Grendel story? That shit is hard to find.

Huh I barely remember screwball squirrel. The only Tex Avery cartoons I remembered were Droopy and the wolf with that sexy chick.

Slappy Squirrel was based on Screwy.

So could anyone explain the appeal of this character or what.
Just seems like a watered down edgy Batman with nothing that makes Batman cool or memorable.

For one thing, the Shadow pre-dated Batman by years and years. It would be more accurate to call Batman an exaggerated Shadow performed in avante garde.

Here's another way to think of it. Take the Shadow. Have him lose his mind and his stylish duds. Dress him like a furry. Make him rely on gadgets instead of his people. Then you would have something akin to Batman.

Secondly, the Shadow has been through a lot of incarnations. The radio drama version of this character (which was actually the original version) had a different ability-set than the pulp era anti-hero of comics and novels which we see here. The radio version was a detective who had the ability to make himself invisible by clouding men's minds and appearing only as a disembodied voice. The pulp magazine version was more of a criminal mastermind who recruited a large network of accomplishes and hunting his enemies with a barely-there disguise of scarf, trenchcoat, and hat with a pair of .45 pistols. I swear, I once took a college course on mystery stories, and the Shadow passed through every trend of mystery stories which existed throughout the 20th Century – including the Cute Couple Detectives sub-genre of mysteries. No matter what type of crime story you like, somebody has written one starring The Shadow.

Try listening to the early radio dramas sometime. Orson Wells played the lead role for two years. They are really fantastic.

You forgot his 1960's spandex superhero phase!

Funny story, The Shadow had his origin in Orson Wells going off-script (possibly drunk) and berating the villains in his "true crime" radio show enactments. The actors would ad-lib back at him, and people would wonder who this mysterious narrator was, that the characters would hear him, just this treacle-on-velvet voice ranting at them that THE WEED OF CRIME BEARS BITTER FRUIT!
So they ended up writing the scripts around this mystery voice, who became The Shadow. A guy who could stand in the same room as you and remain unseen while he delivered a Why You Suck speech.

There is like one element of truth in the entirety of what you just wrote

Bleh.

Oh shit you're kidding me

Kids in the Hall did Who's on First best.

Um, Kaluta didn't draw this. It says it right there in the title page

literal fedoracore

The Question, Rorschach and Mr. A are fedoracore.
The Shadow comes from a time when the fedora was legitimately in fashion, and so is exempt.
He's not trying to lok noir, he is noir.

And to place the pulp heroes, it helps if you think of The Shadow as the original Batman, and Doc Savage as the original Superman. Heck, Doc's name is Clark, and he even has a Fortress of Solitude, and is called The Man Of Bronze.

Does anyone have the story where Batman met The Shadow, or Ben Grimm met Doc Savage?