Increased phone processors performance and website bloat

I think this might become a very serious problem soon
theverge.com/2016/9/16/12939310/iphone-7-a10-fusion-processor-apple-intel-future
It should also be noted that benchmarks put the Xeon E5-2697 slightly above AMD's FX-8350 for single thread performance.

Considering the main thing people use their smartphones for is for browsing various websites and some games. I'm worried about the future of bloated javascript when the weakest common devices webdevs are taking into account have this much processing power. How much longer do we have until all websites start requiring tons of bloated javascript to even view?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160917132527/http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12939310/iphone-7-a10-fusion-processor-apple-intel-future
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors
cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What the fuck are you talking about. That future is already here.

However
Sasuga Holla Forums.

web.archive.org/web/20160917132527/http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12939310/iphone-7-a10-fusion-processor-apple-intel-future
Pic related is the relevant benchmark.

Not really, websites that require tons of bloated javascript to even view are currently a minority and there are generally alternatives available. The problem is still avoidable for the time being.

based javascript

Um, no. Not much is going to change for smartphone users. Modern smartphone processors having comparable single thread performance to desktop processors will allow webdevs to shit on you even more as they now no longer have to worry about making their websites lighter to run better on smartphones.

Nah, there will always be a ton of cheap-ass Android shitphones with a Chinese 123-shitcore!!!!one!!1!! SoC that barely beats your toaster in single-core performance, and they'll command the majority of the market. No website can afford to drop that much of potential audience especially since this segment of readers tend to be stupid niggers who are the easiest to scam out of money with "micropayments" and shit.

Unless you get into sub $100 models, cheap Chinese smart phones are only about 3 years behind.

any website made with a touch screen in mind is cancer to begin with. So much wasted page space, infinite scrolling is also a bad meme

I'm more excited for ARM to be closer to x86 performance, I'd much rather have a powerful phone that I could dock and use multiple monitors + keyboard + mouse since I don't play games. Soon laptops are going to be pointless.

Hopefully the people working on your browser of choice continue to invest in performance work to keep old hardware running fast on the ever developing web. There's no shortage of low-hanging fruit.

t. browser developer

The mac pro does NOT look like a trash can. But it looks exactly like an acoustic bass trap you put in the corner of a recording studio.

Why are you not using noscript already? 95% of websites work just fine, as long as you whitelist a couple of widely-used domains. Even if you don't do that, every website worth visiting still works fine for viewing, although obviously interactivity goes to shit

95% may allow you to view the page, but more than 1/3 of websites have navigation or other major features that could have been implemented without JS break if you don't allow JS. When I first started blocking scripts years ago probably 99.99% of websites functioned perfectly fine without JS minus videos and the comment sections on news articles. Websites that completely break to the point where they aren't even viewable if you don't allow JS while still a minority have become noticeably more common over the past couple years.

Listen carefully to what Apple is saying

I will space this post widely to help get the message across

What Apple is saying

Still listening?

What Apple is saying is that an application processor

Still following here fam?

Apple is saying an application processor has similar single threaded performance

Still with me here?

Apple is saying an application processor has similar single threaded performance

To
A
highly parallelized architecture

Pay attention to what this means
A Xeon is designed to have many cores on a single package, because its designed for a high degree of parallelization. They are not designed for single core performance

The A10 is supposed to be an application processor, so single core performance is paramount

The single core performance of an i7 would in theory destroy all but the highest end Xeons. Because the i7 Skylakes use a microarchitecture designed for application processing. Modern Xeon Phis are expected to use Intel Atom cores

The performance of Apples chips are not that good at all, they are terrible in fact. Its just bullshit marketing spin by comparing them to so-called "high-end" processors

Xeons and i7s are completely identical on the core level. Compare, for instance, a Xeon E7-8890 with a Core i7-6850K, and you'll see that the only single-threading advantage the Core i7 counterpart has is more aggressive turbo boost coded into its multiplier, with cooling and binning to match.

The only reason post-Broadwell Xeons haven't been made for big multi-socket, multi-core servers is simply because it's so new. Look at this page:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors

Notice how there was usually a 1-2 year lag between the mobileshit hand-me-downs and the Xeon-custom 4-8-socket chips.

Well gee, that'll be a step up from the early-'90s Pentium cores recycled into current Xeon Phis, won't it?

It's already over. Normos have comepletely accepted trackphones. Things will only get worse. They always do.

So what you're saying is the only difference between an i7 and a high end Xeon, other than hundreds of dollars, is the encrypted firmware?

The other guy is saying a Xeon is inferior on a core-to-core basis to an i7, which is bunk. Is a LOW END Xeon no different from an i7 (or i5, for some exceptionally trashy quad core Xeons without HT), though? Pretty much. Here's the basic difference:
+Higher core count: Up to 24/socket
+Multi-socket: Up to 8/mobo
+Buffered/ECC RAM
+No throwaway GPU on-die
-Many "Xeon" CPUs lack some or all of these advantages
-Locked clock multiplier on all the superior CPUs
-Small production runs: Worse binning
-Ridiculously overpriced (except some used specimens, which dip below their i7 counterparts in TCO between generations)
+Relatively cheap
+Aggressive binning
+Unlocked clock multiplier
-Some "i7" CPUs lack some or all of these advantages, some even lack the HT to distinguish them from an i5!
-Single socket
-Low core-count: Up to 6 most generations, though there's a handful of 8-core i7 CPUs and one 10-core.

The same mostly went for AMD's Opteron line before they dropped out of the HPC market.

ARM finally did it! It beat x86! A brand new quad core ARM CPU is faster than a three year old, 12 core CPU in single thread! It's over INTEL IS FINISHED! FINALLY ARM CAN WIN!!!!!! I'm just going to use an iPhone 7 instead of building a new gaming computer! It'll be just as fast! APPLE IS AMAZING ARM DID IT HURRAY!!!!

2 of the 4 cores are designed to be more energy efficient instead of being just as powerful as the other 2 though.

Given the massive disparity in process node, manufacturing quantity, yield, cache, and especially die size, I would be quite fascinated to see performance-per-semiconductor figures comparing Intel's best with modern ARM.

A Skylake-sized chip packed full of ARM cores would probably obliterate Intel.

cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I am going to have to ask you to please step away from your Apple and ARM shit and never touch a computer again if you seriously believe Xeons are designed for single core performance

A xeon is designed to have many smaller, lesser performance cores that are able to run a bulk of tasks in paralell

Now repeat after me!

The Apple A10 is complete dogshit!

The Apple A10 is complete dogshit!

Fuck ARM!

They are literally the same cores as in their consumer CPUs, but usually lower-clocked. I stopped buying Macs back when the 80x86 transition happened.

You seem a bit butthurt. Have fun with your backdoored botnet processors.

Let's get on it Holla Forums, any logo ideas to start?

I just want to know how a """"smart"""" phone can have > 1 gig of working memory, > 1.2 ghz processor speed, and other crazy shit yet STILL RUNS LIKE A CRIPPLE ON MORPHINE
I swear to h*ck it should not take 10+ seconds to open a test messaging conversation

Oh wait I already know why it's because fucking Google and their street-shitting Java software are running on that otherwise fine hardware like it's New Delhi

gnuphone fucking when

Yes, because processors that contain proprietary RILs used in non standard/closed design ISAs are truly a step up from modern x86 you stupid fuck

And how many ARM cores fit into 125W TDP?

There's already a couple, the Cavium ThunderX and AppliedMicro X-Gene, but both smell of vaporware.

That's part of the problem, really. Why are we trying to force something as bloated and mainframe-centric as *N*X onto a cellphone, instead of using an OS (or sub-OS environment) that's actually designed for that application, like EPOC/Symbian?

I can still remember using PalmPilots back in the day, and marveling at how slow they were, assuming they had some kind of 8-bit potato chip like the Z80 or 6502 derivatives that run microwave ovens and debounce keyboards, I was so angry when I discovered they had M68k derivatives! Even worse, when the first J2me phones like the Motorola RAZR started shipping, and they felt slower than the PalmPilots, yet they were essentially running 68030s!

First of all, that's software. Second of all, not all ARM SoCs are designed for phones.

Processors with a non standard ISAs > processors with built in backdoor co-processors.

You are really fucking stupid. The RIL runs on its own microcontroller integrated into the SoC, much like Intels Management Engine runs on a its own controller inside the CPU itself

Its a real fucking shame those processors with non standard ISAs do have backdoors then

Because I bet you'll be running all your general purpose OS' on ARM microcontrollers and not Cortex A series chips

That's the baseband firmware. The RIL is the software your OS uses to interface with it.

I don't even. How did you even come to that conclusion?

I'm resurrecting this thread to tell you that yes, this is basically what I envision, each phone manufacturer actually produces DECENT operating systems of their own design for their hardware.

if normies want to play angry goys they can buy a fucking apple

I was thinking more of just anything, custom, standard, whatever, that's simply really tight. Cold boot in under the 1/60th second it takes to warm the screen up (like for photography), full OS execution on the ARM-16 coprocessor so that you can run stuff like arbitrary music or VOIP software with the same efficiency as cellular calls, memory consumption within CPU cache instead of swapping to flash or even RAM. Imagine an OS the size of a typical PC OS from the 80s/90s, but with the power and scalability of modern hardware.

Why not just emulate it? All phones now use 99% identical hardware, Android is mostly open source, and GNUStep is close enough to become an iOS WINE equivalent for a project with any kind of funding, yet the totally artificial "platform" divide persists on cellphones.