When it comes to privacy, I don't get why people "recommend" using Win 7 over Win 10...

When it comes to privacy, I don't get why people "recommend" using Win 7 over Win 10. Windows 7 has backdoors in it regardless of if you update or not, it's just not "upfront" about it where as Windows 10 straight up tells you it is collecting your information. In addition, the lack of updates in the future leaves Windows 7 open to unpatched exploits that could be used against the user. It seems like you're tricking people into a false sense of security by doing this. (Also, I don't mean "you" as in this board, I mean everyone on the internet who seems to have this opinion.) This is also putting aside hardware level exploitation and interception at the ISP level.

tl;dr it's unethical to recommend Windows, regardless of which version, to anyone

Other urls found in this thread:

informationweek.com/microsoft-updates-windows-without-user-permission-apologizes/d/d-id/1059183?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its their confirmation bias telling them to trust Windows 7 because Windows 10 has become such a boogeyman

Is Windows shit for privacy and security? Yes, and it has been this way since XP

Is using Windows going to kill you? No, probably not.

The sheer fact one came out demanding telemetry data is one big reason to use one over the other.

In reality, you should be using Linux. No one here says use Windows for anything private if you can avoid it. If you can't, it's up to you to determine where you think the spying is least worse and choose that.

If you don't install the updates, Windows 7- doesn't spy on you. I invite you to prove Windows 7- will spy on anyone without the updates.

Backdoors are a concern, but that's really something for you to take into account when using Windows in the first place. I personally think any backdoor which may or may not be in Windows 7- require physical access, and thus aren't viable over the internet. Of course that's just my opinion.

Anyone who uses Windows 10 deserves what they get. I hope the NSA is jerking it to all your pictures of your loved ones, you fucking sheep. As for me, I will use Linux for the internet and Windows for gaming, like it should be. Until such time as Linux's WINE is a viable alternative for gaming on Linux.

thinly vailed win10 shill thread

I just can't use linux on the desktop, it is impossible.
Nothing works and my gf gets mad when she tries to use my computer so I switched back to windows.

I guess Win 7 is better (or rather less bad) than Win 10 because you are not contributing to the number of Windows 10 users. It's like pirating a shit game and then talking about it, you might not have payed for it, but you are still promoting it by talking about it. The only way to solve the Windows problem is to reduce the userbase, one user at a time.

Just run EMET and have UAC at max settings. I doubt the common user will have to worry then.

You could probably use DOS + Windows 3.1 without the optional TCP/IP stack (Trumpet Winsock, or whatever it was called) and that would be pretty safe from botnet. You'd need some kind of shell account to login to though, either via dialup modem, or just a local Unix box (OpenBSD would be good choice).
But anything newer like Win95 and up aren't worth considering, since they have the network stack.
Anyway, shell accounts and serial ports are more fun than the Web 2.0 shit.

What have you tried?

By this standard your operating system is irrelevant because basically all consumer processors manufactured after ~2008ish have a built-in, locked down backdoor whose firmware is an impenetrable black box. Modern Intel chips can use remote wlan activation to boot your computer even during hibernation or a low power mode (and quite possibly: the fact is that we don't know).

Yes, you shouldn't use Windows in general, but the reason people particularly stress avoiding Win10 is that it is known to be actively worse. It's quite possible that Win7 has much the same properties, but if I give you two guns and tell you one is loaded and one may or may not be, which would you choose to shoot yourself with?

I'm halfway convinced these people are Win10 shills trying to mop up stragglers. I've seen the same shit happening on halfchan.

quite possibly from a shutdown state*

They are shills. Microsoft won't rest until everyone uses Windows 10. It's not going to happen, of course, but they are still going to try.

Do retards actually do this?

Proofs? Microsoft isn't going to do something stupid that would blow up in their face if they got found out.

Only Intel CPUs. AMD didn't start doing that until after Piledriver so it's still possible to grab one of their high end FX CPUs without that garbage, currently it only affects their APUs and mobile processors. Zen will finally replace AMD's 4 year old FX line though and does include AMD's Platform Security Processor.

Welp, time to leave this shithole filled with underage faggots.

Windows 10 is worse than Windows 7. Both probably have backdoors, Windows 10 always has telemetry, Windows 7 has telemetry under certain conditions.

Recommending WIndows isn't sensible, but it is sensible to recommend 7 over 10.

Allow me to interject for a moment: Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out sweetheart.

Seriously, special snowflake that you are, yours is the essence of a shitpost. You offer nothing. You consume. You are a parasite and as such should be shunned everywhere and by everyone. You have an opportunity to educate but being a selfish bastard you don't give back. If we have learned anything, it is because we stood on the shoulders of giants. Rather than be a giant yourself, you have shown us your micro-penis, and we have nothing but contempt for you. That poor user is uneducated but you decide that he isn't worth your time. What I know is that the education that was given you was a waste. You aren't worthy of it. You have wasted a chance to be a help to your fellow man and when this, which is doubtless your only sin, is held against you by God as he asks you why you didn't use Temple OS and program in Holy C, will surely be the incident that incurs his wrath and damns you to eternal hellfire. Repent of your arrogance and apologize to that user or face the consequences on your judgement day.

Also, you better use Emacs or you will probably go straight to the ninth circle of Hell.

Says name fag

You must be new herr

Honestly if you go on youtube and search "linux intro" it will hold your hand through everything you need to do.

Unless your gf is a windows cuck web dev or a hardcore gamer I can guarantee intro distros like ubuntu/mint/etc will do everything she needs.

Windows 7 was patched to have the same cancer as Windows 10 but it's harder to disable. If you're determined to continue to use Windows it makes no sense to not upgrade.

Every time someone asks for proof of backdoors in Windows 7, the response is something like this. I've never seen anyone post any evidence, or the evidence they've posted has been wrong (e.g. confusing normal security holes with backdoors).

It's great that Holla Forums is getting new posters, even if they are retarded.

In a scale of 1-10, how much of a doormat are you?

It's been confirmed by multiple sources at this point. You can search windows backdoors on google or youtube and you'll find a bunch of credible evidence. We're just tired of doing the basic searching for any windows faggot that doesn't believe Microsoft abuses it's users.

No, you can't. You can find a bunch of speculation without any actual evidence of back doors existing.

Automatic updates are a backdoor.

automatic updates are easily disabled though, even in windows 10.

inb4 someone who has never used windows 10 claims that it's literally impossible to disable automatic updates and spyware in windows 10

By easily, do you mean there is a normie-friendly way to do it or are you dumb enough to consider that blocking Microsoft DNSes at the router level is easy?

This is a backdoor that has been in Windows since at least XP:
informationweek.com/microsoft-updates-windows-without-user-permission-apologizes/d/d-id/1059183?
Microsoft can push updates without asking even with automatic updates disabled. They do that to update the update system itself. Even if that doesn't directly allow changes to the rest of the system they could push an update that removes such a restriction.

They can trivially use that for arbitrary system changes and arbitrary code execution on a targeted system.

It is a powerful universal backdoor.

i bet he is retarded and thinks something like this:
or he is shilling for win10 (since no one can be this retarded)

Ah yeah, the ebin levels of telememetry which you can select in User Settings.
I wonder how much does Microsoft pay for people to shill on Taiwanese comics' children discussion mailing lists.

Nirvana fallacy.
They're both bad. Win7 is just less bad.
Both have backdoors. Backdoors are not what people discuss when talking about the advantages of Win7. It's the built-in spyware, which Win7 has less of.

all of W10 (Enterprise LTSB edition, not sure about other inferior editions)'s botnet features and autoupdates can be turned off by editing the registry and group policies, which can all be done with a script or a super simple GUI program like ShutUp10 for normalfags. all spying disabled, verified by wireshark.

of course it would be better to just use W7 if you don't care about DirectX12. less bloat, more customization, fewer botner features to disable.

fixed that for you, friend.

Even without installing the telemetry updates it continuously calls home if only for updates and such. They can get plenty of information just from the metadata.

No it doesn't. Or do you have some traffic analysis for me to look at?

See

Backdoors != spying. To spy data must come off of your computer and go onto another. And most people would agree this needs to happen constantly to be effective.

Metadata is better than plain data they get from you on Win10.
Again, Nirvana fallacy.

I was explaining that Windows 7 is bad, I didn't mean to suggest that it's as bad as Windows 10. Sorry.

Nigger, stop being such a lame fuck.

Oh, alright then.

[citation needed]