How To: Learn a trade or into mechanics

Mechanon here. I've seen numerous threads in the past suggesting that people go out and learn a trade, or figure out how to work on cars, and all sorts of other stuff like that- and then either not giving advice on where to start, or recommending some bullshit like YouTube to figure out car engines.
While YouTube is a great supplement, it doesn't compare to actual instruction from experienced people, or the skill that comes with practice.

In this thread, I'll take any questions regarding HOW to get into this sort of thing PROPERLY and based on your current situation. Protip: If you're a one armed dyslexic midget I can't help you.

My "qualifications" include many years of different contracting work (from the sewer on up), time as a military technician, and working as a mechanic on everything from lawnmowers and cars to watercraft. So even if you want to ask about a repair or project, maybe I can help there too.

Also, if you can be a politician or lawyer and work for a better future that way, then please do it. It's just not for me, tbh family.

Disclaimer: this is just friendly advice and any occupational choices should be considered with the help of a vocational councilor. Results may include increased muscle mass, busted knuckles, and the increased ability to curse.

I've worked with lads why got training and certified in their trade while in the military. Didn't you get your certs while doing your time?

I want to be able to redo old cars and bikes from nothing what do I have to know ?

Best place for neets to start looking to turn their life around.

Asking for a friend.

Nah, I didn't think far enough ahead to find an MOS fully applicable to civilian life, but it looks good on a resume for sure. And if you do well and get awards, double bonus score. You can, however, find military jobs that will help get you certified in just about anything.

Carbureted engines- BIG TIME. So get out that starting fluid. Also the ins and outs of both two stroke and four stroke engine design. Mostly two stroke, though. You don't need to be an engineer in these topics, but most "classic" cars and bikes will function with a combination of setups using these basic concepts. Also welding for the bodies and frames. So much beautiful steel rather than fucking polymers. Older engines are more simple in theory, and if you like that stuff as I do, you'll be combining passion and practicality.

If you're a NEET, get a part time gig (under the table if need be) in landscaping, or some other grunt labor. This will help build strength, thus confidence, and get you using basic tools and simple machines. Nothing says getting started like fussing with a moody weedeater, and then shoveling mulch. Do that for a summer or so and then see if a local handyman on contractor needs some muscle. Show interest as you go and ask for more and more tasks, so your employer will see that you're hungry to learn. Bottom line, it will be shitty, but you will learn indoor and outdoor concepts that will pay off for a lifetime.

If you want to get into mechanic work just go down to a tire or lube place and apply in person. They are always looking for people because those positions are shit entry level work - you'll make 9 to 10 dollars an hour, and you'll sweat your ass off, but you'll get experience in the field so that in 6 months time or whatever you can go somewhere else and get better work making more money.

True and false. Just because you're around vehicles, doesn't mean you'll learn by osmosis. If you just do lube and tires, it's better than nothing, but you're really only doing what normies don't feel like doing. If you choose that route, you better network your ass off. I know a few guys who were stuck in that hell for years. It's not uncommon for that to become a black hole of false promises. Most actual shops will want you to have knowledge regarding general engine layouts, brakes, fluids and filters, as well as tire balance, replacement and alignment. Also exhaust, emissions, and possibly computer diagnostics. Also you'd need your own tools more times than not.
Like I said, being a tire thumper is okay, but you better branch out fast and hard in friends and knowledge.

Do you think its worth becoming an electrician or a welder, over becoming an IT Expert or a Freelancer?

Depends on demand.
Let me put it this way; I know a guy who got into IT and is doing awesome- another two who got into IT and are working sales and retail, respectively. On the flip side, people will always need electricians, and welding can be applied to like 10 different decent paying occupations. Plus welders and electricians have Unions in many places, while IT… well, not so much. I'm not a big Union fan, but it's a better option than some places. Have you thought of making a "vocational cocktail" and working as an electrician while going to school for IT? A knowledge of computers and electrics can be a winning combo- many concepts seem to overlap. One skill working the externals of a system, the other working internally. That would sound like a valuable employee with some multiple options on the table at once, if you ask me.

learn how to fix air conditioners, refrigerators and heaters. proper grounding in HVAC electromechanical systems and controls will pave the way to figuring out problems with domestic and commercial appliances. Its all about turning electrical loads on and off in sequence by demand or program using sensors or user interface commands. Way eaiser than coding or some other sperg way of getting sheckles, and its a top of the food chain in the building trades. Also, doing thrid party warreentee work will guarentee a never ending parade of work fixing the crap that comes out of the factorys these days.

Start your own thread duct jockey!
just kidding
Honestly though, HVAC is great to know, and practically guarantees consistent, year round work. I just think it's boring as all hell. And top of the building food chain? Sorry, there's not really any such thing. Its just another corner of the square that is the Top 4 of contracting (the others being electrical, plumbing, and carpentry). Appliances are rad I guess, but where do you go from there? Unless you want to be the Maytag Man, pick that knowledge up if someone throws it at you, but with larger concepts in your hands, you can read the service manuals and DIY that stuff. Without adjusting washer centrifuges for years.

Alright guys, Mechanon signing off for now.
However, continue to leave your questions here, and I'll catch up with you on my lunch tomorrow.

TRUMP 2016, BABY!

I have an ok IT career but I want something as a backup in case SHTF, my skills are useless without an enterprise of infrastructure to maintain. It is also much more rewarding when you can do things in your own home. Should I take nightschool courses to learn to be an Electrician?

How do I do it with no school grants left and no money

Answer that big shot

i fix bicycles and i have to just say that you need to do what you love. wont be happy otherwise. i love working on bikes so that is what i do.

>tfw 15B

Different mechanon here

No matter where you learn and who you learn from, you must always try to make connections. Nobody is going to want a random guy who got some certificate but has next to no experience… but the guy their buddy Steve knows and can vouch for will probably get the job.

Okay, here's my situation. I grew up on a Fark, moved out at 18, and somehow during that entire time never picked up a tool beyond a hammer or a hoe. Never worked on bicycles or cars, didn't construct any tree houses, didn't even learn to drive, and never fired a gun until I was about 32. In short, I've less than zero experience with trades. I am (or was) actively ignorant of such things.

Now, I'm 36. I've steadily moved up from shitty retail to shitty call center to (now) working in am office for a job I've come to hate but which pays really damn well for the lack of requirements. The office ain't doing too well and lately has been facing layoffs. I figure my time is limited, and I've been considering going on the government teat if I get laid off so I can leverage them to pay for my education. Now the question: how would I go about reviewing what trade is best for me? And then, after that, what's the best approach for education?

maybe walmart greeter

While I understand that being a fighter jet engine mechanic has limited applicability to civilian employment, what kind of employment could I hope to find once I get my A&P certification from the Air Force?

Afaik, your a&p will be worth the same as everyone elses.

just sayin'

Mornin' lads! Mechanon here.
I'm up to my elbows in a rusted out 6 cylinder GM from the 80's, so I'm going to make this installment fairly brief so I can get this beast rolling.

Sounds like you're off to a good start, which is excellent to hear. And I agree, when you do your own work, it's satisfying in a way that's hard to describe. Its like a pure shot of dopamine. Though, I think you're on the right track- grab some night school if it works for you and don't give up. It WILL get hard sometimes, but you'll pull through fine. You can also work for an electrician on weekends, as I'm sure they'd love the help, and see if they'll take you on as an apprentice if they are a Master. Godspeed, brah.

Well Mr. Dubs, one of the best options is Navy, Air Force, or Coast Gaurd. Study your ASS off for that ASVAB, though. Get your General Tech (GT) score as high as you possibly can. From there, research for the MOS that uses the most recent technology, with due consideration to civilian application. Do the shortest length of time you can, score high in AIT (no fucking around), and then roll on. The chances of you "dying for Israel" is marginal at best. Get your certs, get your GI Bill, free workouts and cool hat, and bounce.

Alright guys, that's all for now, I've gotta get back to it. And don't worry I need some time to type out my answer, but you're going to be fine. See you goyim in a couple more hours when I get off work.

bitch looks like an ugly version of bailey jay

forgot pic of girl und machine, have a bump.

what year is that bike in OP?

greetings Mechanon, here's my 2¢
It depends on what field you're looking for.
If it's construction trades, plumbing, heating/cooling, electrical, carpentry, masonry, concrete, roofing… I'd say find a small contractor and be willing to work your ass off for peanuts while learning EVERYTHING you can about your chosen field and don't turn a blind eye to opportunities to learn things about the other operations going on that make up the totality of construction.

In my experience you learn best by doing. You need good information and lots of hands on. If you aren't making mistakes you aren't trying anything new.
I don't mind finding out I'm wrong or making a mistake because I always learn something that will help me prevent that same error in the future.

And as for working for peanuts, just thing of all the money you're saving not having to go to the gym to get your workout.

Not to mention that this shit is degenerate.

Mechanon returns in what may the most thrilling episode yet! But probably not.
Sorry for the ID swaps, this is my last swap for the rest of the evening- so accept no substitutes! Anyway, let's keep this train rolling.

Checked. Thanks for getting Queen's "Fat bottom girls" stuck in my head.

This man speaks the truth.
To add to this solid point, I guess I'd add that networking is essentially advertising yourself. How are potential employers going to know what you have to offer and what you are looking to do if you don't let them know? If you're not making connections and finding projects, I guess a better question is, how are they supposed to know you even exist at all?
Also, having someone vouch for you is SO helpful. Just don't make them regret it. A bad rep can follow you more than a good one. So keep that in mind.

Don't fret, you still have options. You're not done by a long shot. Well, maybe a medium shot. Time is going to be critical for you (like it was for me), so I'll try and be thorough.
First and most obvious, make sure you stay /fit/. Being fit will help you command more respect on the job to some degree, which will lead to a less stressful learning process. After all, when a man sees a weak horse and a strong horse, he's going to prefer the strong horse. And obviously, you're going to want to stay on top of your game for years to come. That being said, there's always the Uncle Sam option I related in my last post ( ). I don't get the vibe that that's for you, but it IS free training, job security, and potentially retirement. If you can deal with the experience of initial training, you're at least stable with potential for advancement.
In civilian life, however, it's going to be tougher. Deeply research trades that have a lower learning curves and touches a few different fields. Septic (technician, installer, maintenance), welding, or HVAC, for instance. I'm not kidding when I say that septic work is a good jumping off point. It relates general mechanical principals, works in and out of doors, applies plumbing and electrical basics, and proves you're a fucking man on your resume. It pays well, too. I did that work for over a year, and I can only remember a handful of really shitty days. huehuehue
You're going to probably going to want on the job training, and it helps if it's a place where you can advance as you continue to learn. On top of that, check out night school for welding or something along those lines. Usually a skill like that requires about six months of training to get the basics of, which with experience, evolves into an art.
So I guess what I'm driving at are these principals: lower learning curve or training time which if possible can be done on the job. Always seek additional projects or classes. If you have experience in a skill, that is almost as good as paper. Most importantly, talk to people, keep your eyes open for new opportunities, and GO GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY! Good luck, bro- if you have more questions, drop them here.

Phew! That was some typing. Gonna take a break and scrub the gear lube and rust off me guys, be back shortly.

Okay, now I've never worked on planes, but despite what your cert WILL be looked at with more interest because (assuming your military record is squeaky clean) you will have demonstrated that you can function in what is assumed to be a highly disciplined and rigorous environment. It demonstrates that you can handle way more than a civilian with the same cert. That's a lot of assumptions, but I can tell you this, though; Boeing, Sikorsky, and similar places are usually hungry for high level aviation mechanics who don't shy from a challenge. In fact, Boeing has a training center for their expanding productions in what I believe is Seattle, Washington. If you can weld too, even better. Jewgle it to see what employers are looking for, and keep building that resume. Extra training, extra classes, whatever makes your time going to be more appealing to employers. Be aggressive, and good luck.

Homosex detected. Welcome to Holla Forums! Now get out
Thanks for the bump, though. And if I had to guess, I'd say it's a 1970's model Indian.

Right on, man! Thanks for adding that, cheers

Okay guys, like last night, I'm going to pop back in every 30-40 minutes since this thread has survived this long. Get it before I'm gone.

Hey mechanon, what tools will I need to start out and how much will it set me back?

Heil'd.
That definitely depends. What line of work are you thinking about getting in to?

Engineer user here, if you like how cars work you should study mechanics, it'll come naturally and we'll need more of you after the world ends. Also read philosophy to understand basic morals and understanding. Read difficult novels, this will help you articulate your thoughts.

As for me, I'm just sitting here studying electricity.

Mechanon 2 reporting in.

Good question.
You'll most likely be spending ALL of your disposable income for quite a long time on tools when you first start. Seriously, get ready get fucked in the ass for at least six months.
You're gonna need basic hand tools, and lots of them ($$).
Then you're going to need power tools ($$$). Power tool accessories ($$). And then you're going to need a toolbox to keep all that shit in ($$$$).
After like two years of slaving away at work and spending your money, also, at work. You'll probably be close to having mostly everything you need.
Then you're gonna start adding in specialized tools. Then your old shit is going to start breaking. Then you'll lose some of your shit.
THEN WHEN YOU FINALLY HAVE EVERYTHING someone will break into your shop, steal everything, and you won't be covered by insurance.

tl;dr you'll be buying tools for the rest of your life

Have fun!

General auto/moto mechanic, dream mechanic gig would be restoring classics.

What do you think are the bare essentials before I go to a shop and try to start my apprenticeship?

I tip my wrench to you, sir.
Engineering is like hardcore steroids for this realm of practice. If math and visualisation are strong with you (and you've got the time and cash to go to college), it's a highly worthy consideration.

Just off the top of my head:

idk user, this list could go on forever. It's really up to you to figure out which tools you will need right away, and which can wait.
You'd probably be able to make ends meet at first with the list I gave you, although I'm missing a few things.

Okay, gotcha. As you can probably figure out, there's going to be some basics that you'll need for sure. In my "portable" toolbox (of hand tools) I carry the essentials for boats and automotive:
Wire strippers, directional cutters (aka dykes), needlenose and regular pliers, channel locks, screwdrivers from big to small, standard and metric wrench sets, adjustable mirror, flashlight, magnet stick, boxcutter, markers, allen keys both metric and standard, safety glasses, rubber mallet, volt meter, tape measure, and off to the side I have a full ratchet set.
Everything else is in my job box, which we won't even get in to. Initially you're probably going to spend about $500-2500 on tools alone. You can squeak by with less, but I'm just going by what seems the most basic. You won't need anything for computer diagnostics obviously, but there will be a few specialized things you'll need to pick up along the way such as piston ring clamps (just get 1 adjustable if you can). It's not always good to go cheap when it comes to tools, so choose wisely.
REMEMBER: your tools are your livelihood! Keep track of them, and take care of them. I engrave many of my tools to mark them as mine. Tools have a tendency to wander off, so LOCK THEM UP TIGHT!
I'm really excited for you, bro. I hope you do well. If anything else crosses your mind, stop by again if this thread is still here.

You many not know this, but if you work on an Asian or European engine, it will be metric (odd span measurements for Euros usually, even for Japanese). If you work on American made, that's when a variety of standards are used. Since parts for even old engines can come from anywhere when manufactured new, you'll want both sets. This goes for ratchets as well.
Also, if you're going to tell someone "idk" and that the should figure it out, why bother answering them. Go back to your Honda civic, Susie Q.

In my opinion its the only profession worth going into debt in. It will always be in demand and the pay is always good and the skills last a lifetime. If one can get a degree in engineering, any field really, its pretty much impossible to go hungry.

You don't have to know anything.
You need a place to work(your garage) and time. Its a hobby.

Find a project car/bike that is cheap, INTERESTS YOU, and has lots of aftermarket support with a community to learn from.

Stuff like camaro's, mustang's, pre81 vettes, or any of the classic "muscle" cars have been done a million times and have large aftermarket support with tons of knowledge online. If your in to 4x4's there are older Jeeps, older Toyota's, older GM/Ford trucks. With bikes the possibilities are endless if your in to older HD's.

Mechanical hobbies give you real world skills that could come in handy and let you become less dependent on others. They teach you to build things with your hands.Universal life skills a man should know.

Gunsmith and beginner welder checking in. I wish I figured out how awesome learning trades was a looong time ago. I probably wouldn't have spent my 20's getting fucked up on drugs. Oh well.. ya live and you learn.

Another question mechanons, is it worth it to get into debt to get certified? Does it get you a higher salary?

Parents are pushing "go to college, get a degree" on me really hard and they don't want to take no for an answer, despite the fact they aren't the ones who have to live with the consequences.

In my opinion its the only profession worth going into debt in. It will always be in demand and the pay is always good and the skills last a lifetime. If one can get a degree in engineering, any field really, its pretty much impossible to go hungry.

To me, it sounds like everyone in your situation wants a safe and profitable investment in your future. That is awesome.
Truth be told though, you only have to browse Holla Forums for a day to know that in the current state of things, safe bets are hard to come by. If you like mechanics, and sure footing, one of the best ways to go is diesel. Diesel engines are everywhere, and they fundamentally work the same across the board. From an old grease slobbering Cummins in a ship, to a CAT with a bunch of nebulous hydrolic pumps. Same principals apply. You'll learn pumps, and basic mechanics, but very little electrical. However these concepts are easily built upon and can really take you places. If you want a good investment that is cheaper and shorter than college by loads, that's the ticket.
When it comes to qualifications, regardless of cert or less than 3 years experience, you're going to be "entry level" unless you're just a lucky duck. But I think that goes for most jobs amirite?

I can't tell if I want to bust your balls or not. I'm calling you a limited hangout rather than nitpicking. I like your last paragraph, for sure, though.

Ha, I feel you, bro. Sounds like you're living the dream. In a perfect world, I'd be buying you a beer this weekend, but I guess I can settle for just raising a glass to you.

There are lots of "trade schools" out there that are nothing but a scam. You need to track down people who graduated and find out how it all worked out for them.

I am in my late 30's and my experience is purely anecdotal but everyone I grew up with who went in to trades is doing fine. Commercial hvac, electrical, plumbing, diesel mechanic, welding.Most people I know who went to collage are struggling. The debt trap is hard to get out of.

I think most people these days can't get past the fact you don't make any money and have to do shit work for a few years in most trades. I spent my early 20's digging ditches for 13.77/hr. Its the price I paid for apprenticeship to become a Journeyman Lineman.

Anyways I don't want to hijack OP's thread so I will go back in to the woodwork.

Nice thread. I wish I worked with my hands. I'm not really looking for a new profession, but I feel bad being a engineer who doesn't build anything.

The thing I liked most about grad school was the hands on experimental work I got to do. I haven't picked up a wrench in years and it feels bad.

Okay, now you're being %100 on point, lol
To double down on your double dubs, I'd like to add that all anons should definitely heed this man's advice when he says some schools are a scam. ESPECIALLY one called UTI. I THINK their Florida locations Marine program is supposed to be good, but I have no way of being sure of that. Do you research very carefully, lads- and look for reviews made by current and former students. I kinda think this should go without saying, but I'm glad it's being said out loud. Cheers

Okay anons, I'll swing back tomorrow afternoon-evening if this thread is still up, and I'll try and offer what little I can to help out. Until then, work smart AND hard, and don't be afraid to dig into your problems head on and elbows deep- whether they be mechanical, or personal.
Odinspeed, brahs.

Nothing to it but to do it, m8.

I can't very well build a UHV chamber in my small apartment.

b-because I'm a commercial trailer mechanic, user. I don't fix cars, hence the "idk"
That doesn't mean I don't have advice to share.

I already have some tools that my grandfather gave to me and I keep in my own spot away from my Dad's tools he said I'll need them when I get my own house:

I don't know if you're bullying me or yourself but as an anecdote for the thread, my family had a contractor here doing renovations who picked up carpentry as a second career in his late 40s and is hitting his stride with high profile gigs in his early 50s.

I love cafe racers and custom bobber motorcycles. Hipster trash I know but I can't help it. Any recommendations from the thread on a simple starter bike that I can learn mechanics with as well that doesn't look like a transformer? Will pay in pepes.

If you're not gonna be a doctor or lawyer go into the trades!

Your colleagues and clients are usually free of being pozzed, and it's honest work

Always remember though that you are judged by the quality of your work, so take pride in it.

I was never really practically gifted/minded back in school, but I think a trade is the way to go. Mainly because of its job security, pay and being a generally good vocation for home use also. How does a 23 year old NEET with no experience start? Where would he begin?

I'm a 24 year old ex-NEET who signed up for an electrical apprenticeship with the IBEW six months ago and now I'm working full time and getting to go to school to be a journeyman lineman.

I was overweight, unskilled, and had no clue about the trade, but they still took me. Unions may be pozzed, but the training program is pretty good, in my experience. Electrical is a solid choice since you can pick up HVAC easily and make some good money on the side.

Bump for nice thread.

22 year old NEET here as well. Been sitting on my ass for a while now and not sure what the hell I wanna do. I'm thinking of joining the Army and picking up a trade skill while I'm there.

I just wanna get my balls back and stop being such a low-test faget.

20 year old NEET here with the same question. How do I start?

There's usually on the job training, right? Because I need rent money like, yesterday.

Bikeanon, you have any recommendations for how to start with simple repairs and stuff? I've started commuting to work daily and biking has been great so far, but I don't know where to even start when it comes to maintenance.

Not sure if this is off-topic, but does anyone know the best place for cheap wood or metal?

It doesn't need to be area-specific If it is, New Zealand-specific advice would be nice but I do want to avoid paying heaps of money for some cheap materials. I need some plywood and some 4X2 but I'm pretty sure the local hardware stores are fucking me over.

I also need steel pipes that are about 4cm in diameter. Sage for double posting

Hey Mechanon, 36 yo office neet responding. Thanks for the pro-tips, man. It's good to know that things aren't entirely hopeless. It's remarkably easy to convince myself that I'm too old to learn new tricks. Your approach seems straightforward and logical.

Still a good thread. Just because you have no skills doesn't mean you can't learn them. Don't worry if you suck now, it took me into my 20s before I could do the simplest mechanical tasks. I couldn't even hit a nail.

Being in the military would help, but places like Boeing are always full up, not doing well, and have union problems. So I was talking about anything but one of the major companies. A&P is certainly good to have, but except for legalities, that license doesn't mean shit about what you are or are not capable to work on.

Are you b8ing me about the bike? It says BSA right on it, they have a lot of similarities to Triumph, at one point I think they were nearly identical. Since it was your pic, I thought you might know that stuff, I see you were going for grubby girls, instead. That baileyjay looking bitch had a hip to waist ratio of nearly 1 and has shitty tattoos. Doesn't make me a fag to not want hepatitis.

Stay the fuck out of the army, the likelihood of learning anything useful is almost zero.