PC-BSD is now TrueOS

Why aren't you using TrueOS Holla Forums?

If you don't want systemD, now you can use a proper unix system that has been ported to work well on desktops Not as good as OSX mind you.

trueos.org/more-on-trueos/
trueos.org/handbook/trueos.html

You owe it to yourself to give it a test, maybe you'll even like it.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu.html
docs.oracle.com/cd/E22645_01/html/817-1592/gdbhu.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Manager
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2359272/facebook-wants-linux-network-stack-to-rival-or-exceed-freebsd
bsdnow.tv/
openconnect.netflix.com/en/software/
trueos.org/2016/09/01/pc-bsd-evolves-into-trueos/#comment-8
download.trueos.org/master/amd64/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does its ISO boot as a live-DVD? I want to give it a try without necessarily installing.

what advantage does bsd offer over linux other than tickling the ol' autism?

I'll have to check, after it finishes downloading. I would imagine the DVD install does, but perhaps not the USB one.

What I like is the clean design of the system as BSD systems serve as both kernel and distribution. Documentation is always high quality and the layout of the system seems clean and well organized.

The BSD kernel has a much better network stack, so it is more performant for certain tasks a server may have to do.

Linux is a much better choice for laptops though, I don't think any of the BSDs have spent much time optimizing for energy savings.

it is said bsd can run linux programs faster than they would run on linux.

That's true in some cases, where the underlying implementation of the ABI is more efficient in BSD.

I'm pretty sure that's bullshit. The only edge FreeBSD has in performance is its VFS.

Because the installer refuses to work with my ancient thinkpad, so I use GhostBSD instead.

There are a handfull of edge cases where it actually does run faster. Most of the time, though, it's pretty much the same. It absolutely is more reliable, though.

I just updated OpenBSD. At least Firefox seems to work again without lag. I like it for the audio, that isn't a huge mess.

Into the trash it goes.

I tried installing it on my AM1 computer awhile back and never could get it to work. That actually explains a lot.

theyre also so stupid that they don't realize ATI hasn't existed for years

Fuck I got an error so I had to email the developers.

Better question, what does PC-BSD/TrueOS have over FreeBSD?

A focus on X11 and the Desktop, and they even include their own Lumina DE.

That being said, I'm sure a competent FreeBSD user would be able to tailor their system to something similar.

Oh and they ripped out OpenSSL, and replaced it with LibreSSL across the entire system.

That logo though

Looks like a modern actual Unix desktop. Will interest the people who aren't super autistic to get into *BSD.

It runs faster because it doesn't have binaries built with glib pulling on its ass.

You actually have FreeBSD maintainers give you an automatic way to track current.

TrueOS is rolling release.

The man created Lumina around the BSD idea, its file manager has zfs snapshot browsing for instance.

Do you mean re-compiled binaries written for Linux originally, or is it possible to run binaries compiled for Linux as well. There is a number of games which are proprietary, but have Linux ports, so that would be really cool.

ATI exists but is part of AMD.

OpenBSD has seamonkey in ports which runs smoother

PC-BSD was a much better name, what the heck were they thinking with a dumb name like "true", true to what?

I say this as a FreeBSD user, at least that made sense years ago.

Yeah they did a lot of work for 5.9 to make Firefox work properly, iirc it was something about ASLR and W^X making firefox super slow because firefox wanted to do some of their memory management manually.

FreeBSD has a compatibility layer for Linux binaries. It can run most Linux binaries if you install a GNU/etcetera userland for them.

But I'm already running Gentoo :^)

FreeBSD and Solaris can have full OS Jails/Zones respectively. FreeBSD can have an entire centos, fedora, debian, ubuntu, etc. jail while Solaris can have the same in a Zone.

I forget how it works on Solaris but on FreeBSD Linux binaries are not limited to only a zone/jail, they can just be run from anywhere so long as you have the dependencies for it. I remember reading on the forums, someone installed an Arch jail to run Steam and Steam games on it easily.

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu.html

docs.oracle.com/cd/E22645_01/html/817-1592/gdbhu.html

Wow, I didn't know that. I had never really looked into the BSD family before. I can't run VMs fast enough on my current PC, but when I get a new one I will give the BSD family a try on a VM to see what it's like.

Can it be installed on a Macbook without big hassle? Does it support dual GPU switching, automatic fan speed control, brightness control, etc?

Also, there's no Oracle JDK for BSD yet…

Also:
WTF is that? Looks suspicious

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Manager

With qemu it should be possible to try BSD even on shitty PCs.

"If you want to be defined by your ignorance then oh boy, have I got a deal for you"

I just tried it on an old 2009 macbook pro and it failed due to a legacy NVIDIA card. They say they are working on it. Is your machine new?

Linux Digital Rights Management. Anytime you install a package, Richard Stallman has to personally approve the request because you cannot be trusted not to compromise your freedom.

systemd niggers get out

The BSDs are relatively slow and rely on cherry-picking microbencbmarks to pretend otherwise. Their networking is 10 years behind the curve and QoS especially is a joke. Drivers are weak and full multiqueue support rare. The reason they see use is down to the license, not perf. They're Linux for when you
can't use Linux.

God Tier trolling

Because I already have Void Linux.

oh hey its the shill!
maybe you should change up you're writing style if you wanna shill system D for about 5 days in a row

$0.05 has been deposited in your Arch Account

Just admit you've never set up HFSC or HTB on either.

The BSDs don't even have a deployable-quality implementation of multipath yet. That's what, 7+ years old? So many armchair network devs here with no clue.

Not an argument

2/10
Slightly rustled.

Saying "not an argument" is also not an argument.

Well, I take it as basically a restatement. His point still stand until someone has a valid arguement, and it's easier to type "not an arguement", than it is to restate.

But it's wasted space. You might aswell type nothing at all.

What point? You can't just make a claim "their networking is bad" without evidence or examples. The BSDs are used by a ton of high traffic network focused companies, ISPs, router/switch manufacturers, content distributors, governments, and more.

Here's what one of the biggest consumer services running on FreeBSD had to say about the networking specifically when compared to Linux.
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2359272/facebook-wants-linux-network-stack-to-rival-or-exceed-freebsd

I'm also curious if any big name ISP uses anything Linux in their backend, I expect a lot of Solaris or modified FreeBSD

This. Wasting a post and bumping the thread like that simply seems like goading for attention rather than a desire to actually discuss.

Good luck when oracle fucks you
macfag spotted
Install gentoo shill

You summer teens are so easy to trigger.

I use runit, FYI.

it doesnt work when the people you click are not trying to make an argument you stupid ancap lol

You act as if it's hard to be unlikable. Anyone can pretend to be stupid just to make others mad, but why would you?

He probably has no friends nor lover. Let him have his epic trole.

The source is written by professionals rather than autists

Arch fag detected

That's actually the opposit. Redhat and Intel develop Linux, nowadays.

there's no salvation for you

You actually have a point. Now if only they could remove the SJW cancer from those dev teams.

Website says you can run an image off of a dvd or a flashdrive so have at it you shaved ape.

I was watching bsdnow.tv/ and this question was expressed. Basically at conference shows there was lots of normies who don't know what bsd is so they decided why not change the name to be more marketable.

tell this to Netflix

openconnect.netflix.com/en/software/

Changing what someone said is anything but an objective observation, it's your perspective on the matter which is subjective, an objective observation would have been a direct retelling of some event without your personal skew.

You think inserting words into peoples mouth is objective in any way? How fair and productive would it be for me to act like you?

"I don't have a real point I'm just trying to get an inkling of attention from anyone I can"
wow dude literally summer

sigh...
trueos.org/2016/09/01/pc-bsd-evolves-into-trueos/#comment-8

anyone up for some more porting?

I thought the OpenBSD devs dogfooded on Thinkpads ya fggt

user said "optimizing for energy savings", I don't think "optimize" is in the OpenBSD developer vernacular. Muh security, and nothing else.

Kek

I'm really confused, isn't trueOS always existed as the gui-less server install for pc-bsd?

So where can i get the stable non-rolling release of trueOS?

Deprecated. If you want that, I suppose you just go with FreeBSD.

why the fuck should i use freebsd??? it only works normally with nvidia card and poprietary nvidia drivers, half of "must need" programs are not available... and not mo mention drivers... freebsd has good performance, it has ports, you can compile or just install binary packages... traditional unix but suited for modern uses... and then, BSD license? what the fuck

Slow down and try to write a coherent sentence, I have no idea what you're attempting to argue.

you cant use freebsd at his full potential if you dont have nvidia gpu, prove me wrong... and it lacks drivers, plus BSD license alows everybody to fork freebsd and keep it poprietary, not freedom license

I agree that the driver situation needs work, but I think that is changing now. The BSD license isn't a problem though, and in some ways it is better if you want to use it in one of your products.

Well then you're wrong, they do optimize energy usage through apmd, it is the only worthwhile BSD to use on a laptop because of this.

I won't say it's better than linux for power management but it is at least won't be worse.

GNUggers btfo tbh

download.trueos.org/master/amd64/ works though, so that's something

That is a real problem, but it's rare. dtrace and ZFS are the only cases I can think of.

It's much less of a problem than proprietary forks.

Not to mention that ZFS is being shipped with Linux by Canonical in spite of the supposed incompatibility.