How to decrypt sha1 salted hash?

How to decrypt sha1 salted hash?
One source told me the salt was added after the password and then encrypted to sha1.

It's probably futile, but I'm currently trying bruteforce with john --format=raw-sha1 hash.txt on Kali. I'm currently at 0119458jc and counting

Other urls found in this thread:

schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/cryptanalysis_o.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

use a quantum computer

Welcome to Jackass

developing one would probably be the quickest way at this rate

Really though, Is this really the most efficient way?

I might as well use this processor for something
It's a Tumblr hash from 2013-02-28

It sounds like a good idea at first, but, I shit you not, it could take years, maybe decades.

I would recommend either finding a good GPU bruteforcing program, or a premade rainbow table. Maybe both. If you can get a buttnet to distribute the work, even better. Otherwise, chances are tumblr closes down before you get to find out the pass.

thanks
What gpu bruteforcing programs would you recommend?
and a botnet is a good idea, but that would be more trouble than this is worth

Look up the GPU variants of hashcat. Depending on your GPU, you may have to choose between oclhashcat (AMD) or cudahashcat (nvidia).

Invest some money, if you're not a pleb. You can't improve the technique, but you can always improve the speed of your your gear.

Write it in Assembly.

but can it run crysis?

You'll probably die before you get into that highschool crush's account you pathetic virgin

$8000 of hardware
$3 of bitcoins

More like
$4000 - $5000 of hardware
10 minutes of passive packet capture
24 hours of cracking to get into your neighbor's WPA2 protected AP

it'd be cheaper to pay for actual internet service than that electricity bill

Paying for Internet does not get you your neighbor's dick pics.

for $5000 you could probably suck your neighbor's dick

You cant decrypt a hash m8. Especially not one that is salted.

The only way this can be done is iterating trough thousands of possibilities to try and find a match.
I suggest using cuda hashcat. It uses your GPU instead of your CPU which is much faster depending on how good your GPU is

Also i suggest reading about hashes and understand that hashing is not encryption.
Hashes are a one way function.

You can't decrypt a Secure Hash Function.

The whole point of Hash Functions is that they're irreversible -- data is destroyed in the process in order to create a unique number. It's considered secure if the algorithm reaches some heuristic of having sufficiently mixed bits, which they usually decide based on the computational speed of current computers and various theorems about incomputability -- essentially trying to make solutions to collisions and such require exponential time -- the Keccak function (SHA-3) allows you to adjust the number of rounds you perform in order to mitigate this.

If you read enough papers, you could probably design an ASIC that uses the 2^69 iteration approach to finding SHA1 collisions. It normally takes 2^80 iterations in order to collide a SHA1 sum without doing so, so it's significantly faster. Here's a starting point:
schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/cryptanalysis_o.html

sides