Other urls found in this thread:

tedunangst.com/flak/files/sct.c
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Redshift
justgetflux.com/news/pages/privacy/
changethemotherfuckingcolorofmyscreen.com/
shouldiremoveit.com/F-lux-13274-program.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes. Use redshift instead

How do these work? Directly changing color control for your monitor?

I use flux for long periods of time (Like a month or two) turn it off and forget about and then start using it again. It does help with eye strain at night though. I recommended it.

Does this work on windows or should i get flux for windows?

Oh, forgot to say, I used flux but now I used redshift. Same thing though.

Flux for Windows.

It basically just warms the colors of your monitor by changing the gamma ramps. You can set it by time zone or GPS coordinates, and it will start to warm the colors up at sunset. So everything, especially whites become more orangeish at night which helps to reduce eye strain. It's great. Pic related

From the redshift site:

Yeah if using windows flux is good. Anyone using GNU/Linux should use redshift instead though.

Like this, but with more sloc: tedunangst.com/flak/files/sct.c

Will it work while playing games or will games override the settings?

Yeah it works while playing games. Flux has a game/movie mode for people that don't want it to change the colors while playing games.

With redshift some games will override the settings when the game starts, but redshift will re-adjust right after.

So playing games at night just got comfier?

Yeah I leave mine on while gaming at night, some people don't like it but I do

Holy shit this is so relaxing.

If you want extra comfy redshift settings, crank down your daytime temp to 4800 or so and night to 3500, and set gamma to around 0.8. This can be done in redshift.conf and I guarantee it adds 200% extra comfort.

Which is best?

I like 3000k, matches my lightbulbs. Energy saving lamps are communism btw.

spoken like a true american

Can somebody here please explain what the GPS option is all about? I don't know what it does and I'm concerned Redshift is using it automatically--I'm starting to get paranoid.

Just one little search away
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Redshift

I recently installed it after hearing about it for the xx-th time. I got to say I like it. My internal day-night cycle clock has been completely fucked up for years, but with this tool I'm starting to get a distincter "time to hit the sack" feeling than I'm used to. Too bad it doesn't help me get up easier though.

You can enable/disable it in your redshift settings. It only uses it for time zone information though.

f.lux is spyware. Use Redshift or sct.

It just uses GPS coordinates to determine your the sun set time instead of time zone

2700k for me

[Citation needed]

justgetflux.com/news/pages/privacy/

Oh look, it's fucking nothing. The only info they collect automatically is from cookies from usage of their site.

Do you even know the implications of proprietary software? How fucking new are you?

gnu.org, faggot

Fucking kill yourself. Everyone in this thread has been saying to use redshift if you use GNU/Linux, only wincucks in this thread are using flux

sct is god-tier.

I just wish my monitor would expose its gamma controls over DDC so I could get my money's worth out of this fucking 10bit IPS instead of having to do it in software

I like the idea behind redshift, but it's fucking huge.

Some features are neat (daytime/nighttime, GPS,...), though, maybe I could have them implemented into sct, but without most of the bloat, hopefully.

Just kidding, I never get anything done.

Redshift is BLAOT.
If it can't run in my analog watch, it's bloated.

but... they're watching you! They're sitting around their computers looking at your data and laughing at you as it slowly drains your soul.

Why would you run this as a service or w/e?
Just call it with -O and set the temp once night rolls around.

What the hell are you talking about

Comfiness isn't just for nighttime

Set the brightness correctly (120 cd/m2) and you won't get eye strain. The health benefits of removing blue light is pseudo-scientific bullshit and you should be ashamed.

It's not "removing" blue light, it's diluting it :^)

well fluoride in water is pseudoscience according to the amerikkkan government, so take that as you will

redshift is fantastic with ips monitors btw

You know what is fantastic with an IPS monitor? A color calibration tool ensuring colors are accurate.

It's objectively comfier with redshift.

Nah, it's just more brown.

anybody repackaged redshift without gps requirements so it doesn't conflict with parabola's your-privacy?

use redshift for a day and then disable it right before you go to sleep
you'll feel quickly how it's not psuedo-science when it stings your eyes

Then you would naturally like it.

these are all bloated pieces of garbage. Just get the program that changes the color of your screen without any bullshit: changethemotherfuckingcolorofmyscreen.com/

Don't be a pussy, just get more RAM and CPUs!

HAES!

You can use redshift on Windows to the same effect as on linux. All you really need is some way to minimize the cmd window after use. I use a third party program, personally.

Sometimes games will override and stay overridden with redshift. I know Guild Wars 2 does it.

I understand that the subsidies on florescent bulbs and regulations on incandescent bulbs are shitty, but so was your bait

Seems like instead of doing this in software, some kind of easy interface to DDC/CI would be the best thing

(DDC/CI is the interface to control your monitor's settings from the computer)

actually it sets a windows firewall exception and phones home on a regular basis

shouldiremoveit.com/F-lux-13274-program.aspx

hunt unicorns instead

Yes, but a dank meme.

There's two problems with that:
- Monitors hardly ever expose real color controls over DDC, even if they have them in the onscreen menu
- DDC controls aren't exposed to userspace on any OS and require root/driver fuckery which usually doesn't exist (you could have backlight control on your desktop monitor if not for that)