Gotta type fast

When did this meme start?
In every single editor thread (read: vim vs emacs) people claim that with a good editor you will type so much faster. However unless you are a secretary you will not need an insanely high wpm because programmers don't hammer out code like that.

tl;d you only need to type fast if you are a secretary

Because FOSS people are like cultists, they're always trying to convert other people to their favorite software, and shaming people who use other software.

Go back to your UML diagrams Haji.

confirmed for never having written code in a production environment

No one ever claimed that in the history of claiming shit. A good editor will help you edit faster. Not type faster. Mavis Beacon will help you type faster.

It's not about typing fast. Actually I'm pretty slow when coding. It's more about being able to easily re-arrange and manipulate text, all with the least amount of keystrokes possible. And of course, no stinking mouse, because swtiching back and forth sucks.

Why would it matter if you do this bit with the keyboard only or with the help of the mouse?
There is literally zero difference.

Spotted the idea-guy. Unless you are only gluing together libraries you will have to both think and write a lot. The less manual typing you have to do the better. You get faster back to the actually important part and you put less strain on your fingers. If you get a hand injury your career is essentially over.

This.

haha, oh wow

Also the point still stands. Software engineers don't tend to type a lot. Code writing is outsourced to india/china.
Are you a pajeet perhaps?

Buzzwords won't help you now.

Here is a typical coding session of a man who is much smarter than you.
Please explain how a super fancy editor would make this any better than say nano.

Bob enters the module.He scrolls down to the function needing change.He pauses, considering his options.Oh, he’s scrolling up to the top of the module to check the initialization of a variable.Now he scrolls back down and begins to type.Ooops, he’s erasing what he typed!He types it again.He erases it again!He types half of something else but then erases that!He scrolls down to another function that calls the function he’s changing to see how it iscalled.He scrolls back up and types the same code he just erased.He pauses.He erases that code again!He pops up another window and looks at a subclass. Is that function overridden?

Not that guy, but I started out as sysadmin, where lots of typing was needed, even despite automating many things with scripts.
You probably won't start out as a high level "architect", since those positions are given to people with many years experience. At the very most you'll be low level grunt developer who does exactly what you said.

Shush lowly admin, the grown up software engineers are talking.

But I program too. I wrote a game that's almost 300 lines of code!

you can do this in any editor

escape and [u]

Ctrl-r

unfortunately there's no vim shortcut to kill yourself for being an OOPajeet

Fast editing isn't just about cutting down editing time. It's about cutting down the delay between the idea coming into your head and trying it out. How comfortable would you be if for a day you had to only use the screen keyboard with your mouse?

if you forget an idea in the time it takes you to interact with the computer you have serious problems that NO editor will solve for you.

It's the sanic meme for programmers. While some programmers have a legitimate use for insane WPM keying capability (mainly for large projects and refractoring and what have you) many do not need this because you're one small cog in a much larger machine.

but muh emacs!

Large projects tend to reduce WPM for me.
That's what refactoring tools are for.

Not him, and I don't forget stuff unless the code is over complicated, but switching back and forth to mouse is fucking annoying and it breaks the flow state. When you're riding a bike, you don't have to pull your hands off the handlebars to switch gears. Well it's pretty much the same deal with pure keyboard editor. It lets you focus better, because there's no context switch.

I type 100wpm at a casual pace. It's not really a matter of insane WPM, it just means that I can type almost as fast as I think casually. I can of course think much faster than I can type but I am too chill to do that.

Movies

No matter how much you type, you're going to want to type fast so at the very least you can go back to brainstorming

Two finger typing masterrace

most "programmers" are basically data entry except the data is simple code

search your feelings, you know it to be true

Just scrolling through the code helps me think. I've got one of those mice with a free moving scrollwheel. Whenever I'm thinking I scroll up and down and go "wheeeeeeeee!"

It isn't about typing speed. With a good editor you can quickly move around the text. It makes a huge difference, you're lying to yourself if think it doesn't.
vim users may worship a false god, but you, OP, you're a godless heathen.

can you give me at least one practical reason to learn emacs after using vim for at least a decade?
honestly curious if the grass is any greener etc

The point is to minimize mental overhead of typing and editing. The less time and mental effort you spend pouring your ideas from your mind to your source code, the more brain cycles you have free to do the actual thinking on those ideas.

Ideally, you want editing actions to be processed subconsciously, like you subconsciously shift your center of mass just the right amount when you steer your bike. You only think about the path you aim to take, the actual actions like steering the handlebars and leaning sideways "just happen" without thinking. Likewise, you should only have to think about the final form the code you're looking at you want to take, and editing actions should "just happen" from the back of your subconscious brain without a single thought given to them.

Obviously, since editing transformations are much more complicated than driving a bike, you won't always reach such complete "thoughtlessness" during editing. However, the closer you get to that ideal, the more you will be able to concentrate on actual programming instead of editing.

Vim is a text editor, emacs is an operating system.

Ι'd јuѕt lіkе tο іntеrјесt fοr а mοmеnt. Wһаt уοu'rе rеfеrrіng tο аѕ Emacs, іѕ іn fасt, GΝU/Emacs, οr аѕ Ι'vе rесеntlу tаkеn tο саllіng іt, GΝU рluѕ Emacs. Emacs іѕ nοt аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm untο іtѕеlf, but rаtһеr аnοtһеr frее сοmрοnеnt οf а fullу funсtіοnіng GΝU ѕуѕtеm mаdе uѕеful bу tһе GΝU сοrеlіbѕ, ѕһеll utіlіtіеѕ аnd vіtаl ѕуѕtеm сοmрοnеntѕ сοmрrіѕіng а full OS аѕ dеfіnеd bу ΡOSΙX.
Mаnу сοmрutеr uѕеrѕ run а mοdіfіеd vеrѕіοn οf tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm еvеrу dау, wіtһοut rеаlіzіng іt. Τһrοugһ а ресulіаr turn οf еvеntѕ, tһе vеrѕіοn οf GΝU wһісһ іѕ wіdеlу uѕеd tοdау іѕ οftеn саllеd "Emacs", аnd mаnу οf іtѕ uѕеrѕ аrе nοt аwаrе tһаt іt іѕ bаѕісаllу tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm, dеvеlοреd bу tһе GΝU Ρrοјесt.
Τhеrе rеаllу іѕ а Emacs, аnd tһеѕе реοрlе аrе uѕіng іt, but іt іѕ јuѕt а раrt οf tһе ѕуѕtеm tһеу uѕе. Emacs іѕ tһе text editor: tһе рrοgrаm іn tһе ѕуѕtеm tһаt аllοсаtеѕ tһе mасһіnе'ѕ rеѕοurсеѕ tο tһе οtһеr рrοgrаmѕ tһаt уοu run. Τһе text editor іѕ аn еѕѕеntіаl раrt οf аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm, but uѕеlеѕѕ bу іtѕеlf; іt саn οnlу funсtіοn іn tһе сοntеxt οf а сοmрlеtе οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm. Emacs іѕ nοrmаllу uѕеd іn сοmbіnаtіοn wіtһ tһе GΝU οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm: tһе wһοlе ѕуѕtеm іѕ bаѕісаllу GΝU wіtһ Emacs аddеd, οr GΝU/Emacs. All tһе ѕο-саllеd "Emacs" dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ аrе rеаllу dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ οf GΝU/Emacs.

һwat

Who cares? All that's installed here is vi and ed.
(no, not vim, that's bloated)

what's so dank about that? I already have one of those