BSD

We all know linux is a meme (for desktops) but I think we can all agree that BSD is the biggest meme OS to ever exist.
Seriously unix for desktops was a mistake.

Other urls found in this thread:

man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man4/vesa.4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BSD is good as linux, but it lacks drivers, and thats why i dont use it anymore, nothing except nvidia doesnt work and i cant even run fucking DOOM

install gentoo

So what would you suggest we use instead?

linux? gentoo?

I took that to mean that gentoo or Linux in general were also disapproved of

BSD and Linux aren't meant for the desktop. BSD > GNU

Well done Sherlock.

meant to reply to

thanks bb, your approval means so much to me

GNU is meant as a general purpose system. Linux was first meant as a desktop kernel and is now meant as a general purpose kernel. X11 was meant for desktops. Some of systemd's features only make sense for desktops.

You can claim that it's fucking terrible on the desktop, but you can't claim that it isn't meant for the desktop.

try and stop me copper

X11 was not made for desktops, or it wouldn't be a network protocol. It was meant for distributed computing from the beginning and came about before the idea of a "desktop computer" existed.

install a source port

Linux is not an OS.

What? There's zdoom in the FBSD ports. Only gzdoom seems to be Linux only.

It is made for the end user of the software to be running a desktop computer. The network protocol is so the software itself could be run on a more powerful mainframe/server to save on resources. It's got a lot of problems, but technically being network software isn't one; on the same box it makes no difference.

i know anons, i compiled it, but i cannot run it because of no drivers.... i dont have nvidia, and Xorg -configure crashes, i look for help on freebsd forums, nobody found a solution.. i think it was version 10.2 sounds and everything else works but gpu? no...

Linux is an example of a good meme

there are good memes then there are bad subversive jewish memes

I dunno about FreeBSD, but my current OpenBSD laptop and the previous one both run Xorg with the simple Vesa X driver:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
Neither of them have supported GPU, but it works good enough this way to run X and non-OpenGL stuff (for Doom, use simple port or software renderer instead).
Look at the Xorg vesa(4) man page to see how to create xorg.conf if one is needed, but first just try to run X without any special configuration at all.
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man4/vesa.4
I think this is what I had on my previous machine, to force vesa mode. Yes, that's the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, just these few lines:
Section "Device" Identifier "devname" Driver "vesa"EndSection
I think xorg -configure was also crashing, but you can just create the file manually.
Anyway on my current laptop I don't even need this config file, it automatically selects the vesa driver when it can't find a supported GPU.

Any BSD isn't even remotely as good as Linux on servers. On the desktop they're all shit but Linux still easily wins the special olympics.

Nice D&C shill.
Reported.

You think "Install Gentoo" is a motherfucking joke or something? You think this is just "le ebic /g/ maymay XD"? You think we are playing some kind of funny board trolling game here when we advise people to install gentoo?
If you do, git out of Holla Forums. Right now. It is not, it is far from that, it is as serious as it gets. You do not seem to understand a very basic and important concept. The act of installing gentoo is far from being only the technical solution to a technical problem. It is an act of freedom, a symbolic gesture of breaking out of the oppressive and intransparent system that is closed source software and the beginning point of gradually coming to understand the importance of having actual complete control over the machine you use and entrust your data with. It is the turning point were you slowly realize how UNDERSTANDING a system means HAVING CONTROL of the system. If you install gentoo, it means you set a starting point for your new personal era of enlightenment where you break free from your chains and start controlling what controlled you before. This is the point I am talking about. If your computer is giving you problems, it means you are not the one who is in control. If you are in control of your computer, it cannot give you problems. This is the point. This is why /g/ tells people with computer problems to install gentoo: if they follow this path, they will see the light too and realize having control over your computer equals not having problems with your computer. If we just told him how to solve his particular problem, he will come back tomorrow with a different problem. But by telling him to install gentoo, we show him the path of how to destroy the root of all problems. Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he will never be hungry again. This is the concept. This is the paradigm we follow. Live by it. Install gentoo.

this

That depends on your priorities. If you absolutely positively need as much security as you can get, chances are, OpenBSD is better for you than any Linux distro.

Also anything ZFS, especially for corporate shit, where licensing and being reliable and tested are a big deal.

Shit like process hibernation are also nice, but rarely worth the switch.

It's HAMMER time motherfuckers.
Linux can go get bent, Torvalds fucked up and didn't listen to his teacher about sound design. Now you have bloated, dank shit that can't scale and bad security. Even MINIX 3 is better off in the long run. Linux will die, because it's a stupid virus whose time is over, and this is our time now.

a fucking GNU/Linux, a OS that gave you freedom user? die? die?

It's like the Jews who left Egypt: they all had to die, only their children could reach the promised land.

What is that image supposed to convey?
With some knowledge you realize the world is shit but with even MORE knowledge it all becomes better?

yeah, explain user

It just seemed to me that it kinda fits, there wasn't any elaborate reason why I chose it.

I think it's like when you first see non bfu friendly shit you're scared of it and then you finally get around to properly installing, configuring and learning how to use ncmpcpp, and holy shit, it's so much better than using some shitty, buggy gui player.

wut? i am using xmms2+lxmusic and its working flawlessly...

We all know you're retarded

not an argument

Linus is very proud that his kernel is millions of lines of code. That's cia nigger scaling.

fuck off terry, your OS is useless piece of nigger shit

What a cutie. Would fug.

Terry will make studying how to make an OS so much easier for me