He uses the arrow keys in vim

Get on my level plebs, add the following lines to your .vimrc and turn off easy modo:

map map map map

Lunatic: Turn them off in insert mode, too - navigate in command mode only.

imap imap imap imap

And don't even think about touching the mouse - I'll know.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/wikitopian/hardmode
github.com/alols/xcape
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man1/vi.1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I prefer to point and click in Visual Studio :)

Pic related is the original computer terminal used by vi's original author, Bill Joy. Notice anything missing? Take a closer look at the homerow.

Steve Jobs oddly had the right idea, in a "stopped clock" kind of way. When the original Macintosh (128K) was launched, he wanted to kill the command line forever and force navigation with the mouse.

Nothing stopping somebody from compiling a version of vi for it, though.

well he was a faggot and had the wrong idea
there's nothing wrong with terminals
it's terrible to have a screen right on the keyboard like that, that's probably why he hated terminals so much

I use an European keyboard. Some of the key combinations force me to stretch my fingers in weird ways and I don't have the flexibility to pull them off. Who cares if I use the direction keys if I am going to take my hands off the keyboard anyway specially for pressing motherfucking Esc?

From a business standpoint trying to at least stuff terminals in a closet was a great idea. Think of how computer incompetent people are now, with all these GUIs and help files and google, etc. Imagine how fucking much they'd suck if literally everything was terminal commands. There was an untapped market of rich people who wanted a computer but didn't have the will or time to learn programming.

There is a plugin for that:
github.com/wikitopian/hardmode

I simply remapped the keys in normal-mode to their English counterparts. After a while you stop thinking in keys anyway as the motions move into muscle memory. As for the ESC key, you can usually use CTRL-C as well. Remap your Caps Lock key to CTRL system-wise for easier access. For exiting insert mode I have inoremap kj

Why should I rely on those keys if I'm even using vim-keybindings in my browser? However this idea is just stupid and something for circlejerking fedoramen.

wow your such a leet haker op

Linux utility to configure modifier keys to act as other keys when pressed and released on their own.

xcape -e 'Caps_Lock=Escape;Control_L=Escape;Control_R=Escape'

github.com/alols/xcape

productivity taking place

setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocapsxcape -e Control_L=Escape

The setxkbmap option turns Caps Lock into another (left) Ctrl
The xcape option makes left Ctrl (both the original and Caps) behave as Escape when pressed shortly

The normies are what caused the downfall of computers. They should have stuck with command line and old ROM BASIC stuff. It worked fine in the 80's when secretaries and office workers could manage just fine because it's easy to learn enough commands to be productive. Now the GUI have made them super-lazy and with a bad attitude, and they're still just as helpless as ever. On top of that software got super-bloated and computers get outdated constantly just because new browser or desktop environment uses 10x more resources than last one.
When the revolution comes, we have to delete all the modern OS and replace them with pic.

Meh. I don't use them, but I don't see a point in removing them ...

I use inoremap (I use ctrl+/ which inputs ^_) which pretty easy to trigger, easier than ^[, so don't really have the need to move inside insert mode. And in command mode, I use mostly f/F++;, w, b, 0, A and the like. I could probably even make do without h and l without too much trouble. Though j and k I do use a lot.

It's mostly for people who can't shake off the bad habit. It's like bandaging your fingers if you have the need to constantly chew your fingernails. Eventually you should take off the bandages of course once you have overcome the habit. The arrow keys are bad for moving around, but they can still be mapped to something else that's rarely used but handy to have on the keyboard.

Not until networking fam.

God said no networking.
But you can just make your own non-official network stack of course. Don't forget to share it, I don't know shit about the IP.

Underrated post.

Or you can just rebind arrow keys to some other task you don't perform as often.

Every so often I force myself to use vim or emacs, just so I can at least use them when needed. I'm also hoping to once learn why they're considered so great.

I'm always glad to be back in my beloved IDE.

Why would anyone even want to use hardmode. What's the point? masochism?

Had it ever occurred to you that it isn't actually hard to us? I use Emacs mainly because I find it intuitive and consistent, not in spite of a lack of either quality. Its graphical toolkit support, while pretty basic, is also very uniform across platforms; Emacs in GTK feels just like Emacs in Win32.

If anything, I find IDEs cumbersome to use because there is no "language" to their design, the buttons and menus are wherever the fuck they are because they just are.

I don't get why people use Vim on Windows, though. It barely even feels like it should be used on Unix-likes, like it still tries to retain Amiga support as first priority.

Then why is it called hardmode?

No, I wholeheartedly disagree. I can find nothing intuitive about either of these programs. Maybe it requires a different model of intuition.

you're probably a windows 10 user anyway so what difference does it make?

There's nothing really hard about it. Read a simple vi man page like this one to get the basics.
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man1/vi.1
The rest is just practice, but it doesn't take long. Also you can play games like Rogue or Nethack since they use same hjkl movement keys and some other stuff, like numeric prefix or dot to repeat commands.

You have to actually try to put yourself into a different perspective. The one you default to isn't necessarily the only one you will be comfortable with.

That's kinda weird, considering that early AmigaOS releases didn't have vi, and if you look at the Workbench 1.3 Extras disk you find what's in pic.
It identifies itself as MicroEMACS V1.3, from 1986. And it's quite small indeed: only 62 KB, which is good because a lot of those machines only had 256 to 512 KB RAM at the time. Software has really become bloated since those days.

It's tongue-in-cheek. Using hjkl is actually easier than reaching over to the arrow keys once you get it into your muscle memory, but it's "hard" because you have to force yourself. Note also that hjkl are not the only motions, and in fact if you only use them you are not much more efficient. w, b, e, t, f, ;, ,, }, {, n and so on are also essential movement keys. In fact, you can disable hjkl for "super-hard" mode forcing you to use the more efficient keys. hjkl are still useful though, you can use them in combination for the other for one-off corrections.

Let me give you can example: f followed by a character jumps to that character. Let's say you want to go the an 'e', but there are seven 'e's on the line. You would have to type 'fe;;;;;', a total of eight keys to reach it. But assume there is also one letter 'y' on the line and it's pretty close to the 'e'. You can type 'fyfe' and you're right there in half the keystrokes. That's the kind of thing super-hard mode teaches you. After a while you will start seeing patterns in your text all over the place and it will be like the keyboard is wired directly to your brain.

Well, modern software has larger binaries for most tasks for a reason. Decades ago, every line mattered for the sake of performance, so sloppy hacks and shortcuts were needed. Now devs can do things the "right" way with little constraint by hardware, assuming they don't end up with a massive pile of pointless libraries or an entire web browser like with Electron.

Both Emacs and Vim have conservative memory use, but have such large downloadable packages because most of Emacs is written in Emacs Lisp with the "core" of the editor being the platform code and language interpreter, while much of Vim's default package is also written in its own scripting tool. This is because storage space is now so cheap that it can basically be ignored as a relevant factor as long as it's not used as an excuse to get sloppy.

why would you even need to do that? Why don't you just not use those keys?

what is your beloved IDE?

Pipe dream. The fact that you have to keep upgrading computer to do basic web browsing and word processing shows it's the wrong way.

In Windows' case, personal computer performance has stagnated since just before 8 came out, which is why 10 was free for a while: if your computer can run 7 or newer (assuming it doesn't struggle to run 7 while being a modest build by XP standards), newer hardware just is not fast enough for there to be a meaningful difference.

It's not just OS related. If you want to play on the Web 2.0 (which is most sites now) you need to upgrade constantly in order to be able to run latest & greatest "creations" of javascript modern artists.

This is true, but if you are aware of the implications of these "creations" but choose to use them anyway, you are a cock gobbling subhuman and deserve whatever ill fate befalls you.

Fortunately this is becoming possible because the prominence of smartphones has forced most web devs to accommodate the needs of wimpy ARM systems, which will bottleneck the hell even out of budget desktops for years to come.

Possible to avoid I mean.
Aso, we might see the start of a trend of optimizing software instead of constantly piling onto it to simply development. GPUs have a long way to go before they stagnate in performance difference between generations but most other parts have reached their peak.

10+ years ago, you could still do most stuff on the web without javascript, but now it's not even an option anymore.
I mean stuff like online banking & investment, insurance, shopping, webmail and managing your ISP/phone account, applying for jobs, and other stuff people typically need to do.

Well duh, that's obviously because it's CURRENT_YEAR

What pisses me off is that my machine runs fast, but when l open a web browser. . . Yeah.