/textpunk/

textpunk: part 2. textual boogaloo.

* What is textpunk? ix.io/1jVi
* Community made textpunk resources: txti.es/textpunk
* Some madman created a textpunk nntpgag board: ucavviu7wl6azuw7.onion/
* Textpunk coding projects: Doing any? Got any ideas for new ones?

``i only listen to textwave, an audiovisual representation of music written only with true 7-bit ascii by wizards.`` - some memer, responding to the kopipe on a copypasta web forum

Education: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_user_interface
Teletext archive: teletext.org.uk/index.php?cat=30_Archived-nbsp~Pages&page=41_Digitiser-nbsp~1995-1998

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/pasky/speedread
metacpan.org/pod/Text::Autoformat
archive.is/v1754
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

__.mmmmmm._
,---########################---__
/##################################\
/######################################\
/##########################################\
/#############################################\
/################################################\
/##################################################\
/#####################################################\
/#######################################################\
/########################################################|
|########################################################|
|#################/####A###|`'||\#####|##\###############|
|################||###||##/[ )) \####|###|\############|
|###############|:|###| || | |: :|###|\##||###|\#######|
|############|##|:|/;\| || ( |:::|/\#| |#)|/\#| |######|
|############|##|: ;;_\|_| |::: ::\| ||;:\| |######|
|###########|##|-==^======^= / ;;; :--|/=====--|######|\
|##########/|##|: '__:. ;/ __ ';^|#####|
|##########||/^' //::\ \;: //::\'\ ;|####|;
|##########|::: ||::o:) );; ||:o::) >:|\\##|
|##########|:: \\::/_/;` \\::/_/ :|#\\/|
|###########\: :|#//\|
\#####||\|\|: :|//##|
|####/|:\|:: , .:|####|
\##|##\_: ` ;. :||####|
|##|####|: ';, :||###|
||\|####|: , ;' :||###|
||######|: :||###|
||######'. _ .;/#|###|
"\########\ (_) ;/##|###|
|########\ ;/###|###|
|###|#####\ ;/#####|###|
\#/|#####|;\ ;/####@||###|
|###|` \ ;/######|||###|
\#-| ` .. ;/:|##4#f` |###|
.-';;;| ""--___;/:::|/_ |##|
.-';;;;;;| ':::::::::::|;;'--. |##|
.-';;;;;\;;;| ':::::::::|;;;;;;\ |##|
|;;.;;;..\;/; `::::::::|;;/;;;;\|##|
|;...;.....\ ` `:::::::\/;;;;;;|##|
/.............\ `:::::/;;;;;;;|#|_
/.................\ `::/;;;;;;;;|#|;'-.
/.....................\ /;...;;;;;|#|;;;:"-.
/.........................\ /........;;|#|;;:...."-.
/............................\ /..........;;||..:........".

mfw

Got RSVP?
github.com/pasky/speedread

Is there an algorithm of "justifying" plain text? What I mean is, imagine you have some line of text and a given maximum text width, then evenly add extra spaces between words until the width of the line matches the maximum text width. Basically turn this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus maximustristique gravida. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubianostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Mauris convallis eros sit amet mollis sodales.Praesent sit amet interdum libero. Aenean venenatis odio nec metus vulputatemalesuada. Ut varius enim ac nunc faucibus, eu sollicitudin tellus convallis.Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuerecubilia Curae; Pellentesque eu lacus velit. Curabitur at auctor nunc.

into this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus maximustristique gravida. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubianostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Mauris convallis eros sit amet mollis sodales.Praesent sit amet interdum libero. Aenean venenatis odio nec metus vulputatemalesuada. Ut varius enim ac nunc faucibus, eu sollicitudin tellus convallis.Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuerecubilia Curae; Pellentesque eu lacus velit. Curabitur at auctor nunc-

The algorithm should favor putting spaces after interpunctuation and make the words even spaced out.

Oh my god what is this faggot bullshit. Is this satire?

longpig

*smacks lips*

hmm I came across a script to line breaking on gopher actually, but I don't think it has a fully justify feature. I think that is actually NP hard.

It's a solved problem. Dillo can do it.

You can try this Perl module, but I don't know how it handles punctuation.
metacpan.org/pod/Text::Autoformat

Here's the archive of the first thread:
archive.is/v1754

It's asciipunk you bloatfag

Also, the text punk threads are 0 indexed, the first one ever was actually a while ago, the asciipunk one wasn't the first, it was the second.

Why not just drop the -punk entirely and say ascii?

Why not just drop this whole thing altogether?

Why not just let the cyberpunk meme die instead of trying to keep it alive with new time periods (clockpunk, steampunk, etc), shitty slang, and mediocre retrowave music?

why not literally everything die?

Why not everything figuratively die too, to account for non-living entities?

I think he was only pretending to be retarded, as a joke

hard to tell though

I've been writing a textpunk NNTPchan client that switches between nodes at random.

holy fuck awesome a command line interface to nntpchan!

Because it has a punk element to it. The rebellion against the mainstream 'bloat everything because there's enough power for it and if you can't run it just buy more stuff and be a consumerist whore' idea.

absolutely neat
pls share with us

What is this sorcery?

Thanks, it still has a bit to go (posting to and browsing individual threads) but other than that it's close to done.
Also I missed a screenshot of the boardlist (I'm considering putting some animu girl or something so it doesn't look so plain).

I'll release it when I get it done to a degree where I find it usable as a replacement for the web interface (still have to add files too, as well as the other stuff I mentioned).

This:
def drawCaptcha(y,x): #An image drawer geared towards CAPTCHAs global scr global window_h global window_w image=png.Reader("/tmp/"+nntp.captchaID+".png").read() width=image[0] height=image[1] if window_w

Have you tested this with Holla Forums's captcha?

I'm working on a command line tool for Holla Forums. It's not focused on regular browsing and posting at the moment but it can print threads and I want to add posting at some point.

I doubt it'll work, because it's specifically designed for that exact format of captchas.

Don't they already have a bunch of those?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders
^ scroll down to text-based

Thanks. It gets close, but it doesn't distribute the spaces evenly, it just distributes them at the end of the line. I'll try it myself, it can't be that hard.

telnet freechess.org