Comic Books & Age

So… what's going on with people's age in comic books?

I've been reading some All-New Wolverine and I came across this part.
X-23 has been a teen for decades now.
Is Marvel afraid of having their heroes age?

You'd think that since they're trying to go all PC now and replacing existing characters with newer versions, having characters grow older would be a good excuse to introduce new and younger faces to their roster.

Other urls found in this thread:

superman.nu/k-metal-from-krypton/about-k-metal.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's been a thing for years now, OP. Both of the big two do it. Except DC will sometimes age up their characters randomly. Marvel just has them go on for years and years then eventually retcons them to be younger than they should be. It's retarded.

That would actually be a somewhat intelligent idea and thus has no place on the modern comic book market

Yeah, fanboy's don't like the characters they grew up with aging, or changing, or anything really. Capes are like the newspaper funnies, and unchanging, stable rock in the tumultuous and ever shifting sea of reality. They derive their comfort from Batman always being Batman and Spider-Man always being Spider-Man.

The last company to attempt characters changing was DC back in the nineties, and that netted them a full-scale fanboy revolt, with old neckbeards beating up kids who bought the new comics, taking out full page ads in comics decrying DC's decision, flooding the internet with their hatred of the change, and one mysterious package mailed to DC offices that required a visit from the bomb squad.

that's retarded.
you'd think that your heroes growing up alongside yourself would make them even more relatable and personal

This is untrue. Fans threw a massive fit when Quesada decided to just unilaterally undo Spider-Man's marriage and put it him, essentially, back to where he was thirty years ago. In fact it pissed them off so much that I don't think sales have really recovered.

Depending on certain constants is not the same as not wanting the characters to change.

How long have you been reading comics? This has always been the case. I'm not exactly sure why, but I guess it's to not rock the boat too much. You have a status quo character, and they get a little bit older, they change a little bit, but it never deviates too far. And this all happens very slowly. Can you imagine having to make a new toy design or any other licensing thing when the character ages in real time? It's confusing and it's not really worth it. Sure, it might be cool and realistic, but pretty unnecessary. You might as well be complaining that characters in cartoons all wear the same clothes and that characters in video games never have to shit.

The only characters that really aged that I know of are Spider-Man teenager to married Spider-Man man and Armadeus Cho going from like 14 to 17. Other characters get slightly taller, they get more adult jobs and responsibilities, but it's not gonna be regular humans.

Also, don't take nu-X23 as an example on anything. It's not the most well-made comic in terms of comic continuity. Or comics at all, for that matter.

Considering X-23 made her first comic appearance in, what, 2003 with the NYX mini? She's only 13 years old technically.

Anyway:
While it'd be nice for characters to age in real time, most cape comics certainly aren't soap operas so there's no point in entertaining that illusion. The Big Two are playing it fast and loose with continuity as it is.

I think it would be because of how quickly ideas would degrade over time. These characters have been around for decades, do you get how if they had to get a new Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. each time one got too old how quickly the idea pool would drain up?

Characters used to age pretty normally with the book they were in, but a lot of progress is specifically halted for merchandising or tv/radio show deals. Did you know Kryptonite was going to introduced the comics in 1940? That is 3 years before the radio show introduced it and NINE years before it actually did appear in the comics. Why? Because in that same, unpublished issue, Lois was going to learn Clark's secret and that would have changed the status quo, something the radio show and others working around the property didn't want. Here is more info on that:
superman.nu/k-metal-from-krypton/about-k-metal.php

So, since comics have long been connected to cartoon and toy deals, the timeline started getting stretched more and more, not to mention just some creators being nostalgic for certain things and retconning the fuck out of stuff the moment they have the power. So, yeah, it's been going on since the beginning.

Read Superman/Batman Generations by John Byrne if you want to see story of characters growing older with the decades.

There's a few comics that have the characters age in real time, pic related and Savage Dragon, off the top of my head.

Franklin Richards, go home.

I think it's a remnant of the Silver Age shenanigans. And even more when you consider Disney, who would refuse to have fathers and mothers in their comics and series because that implied someone had sex at one point and you can't teach that to children. That's why they always were uncles.

user. user…. Age is what bugged you? X-23 has more or less the same healing factor as logan. This very same clone is worried about alcohol? What, she fears alcohol poisoning and die? Or get blackout drunk? Jesus fucking christ!

Newfags, I swear…

Dredd doesn't age in real time. He ages, but not in real time

Reminder that Franklin is just now hitting puberty and he was introduced in the 60s.

The revolt over making Hal evil was because it was a dumb change and not a natural one.

A character marrying their love interest, growing older and wondering if they should get out of the game before age taking its toll gets them killed is very natural. A character getting their entire cast destroyed and turning evil the next day to make way for a new guy is not.

I want to mock you for being ignorant, but I couldn't without showing just how jealous I am.

Because he didn't want to grow up. You could explain a lot of shit by just blaming Franklin Richards.

Who did this happen to besides pic related?

Fred Perry's Gold Digger.
The main characters are now either married with kids, or teaching younger adventurers.
Hell, the annoying genius child villain ended up growing up a little and joining the heroes' school as a student.

That's a recent thing. user said
>when you consider Disney, who would refuse to have fathers and mothers in their comics

referring to Donald Duck's nephews being Donald Duck's nephews and not his sons because Donald having sons would suggest that Donald had sex at least once.

I remember hearing something about comic character ages (possibly relating to female characters).

It takes one year for them to 21 but ten years to turn 22.

Wesley Dobbs the Sandman but last I check that guy was killed by Mondru.

Jack Knight moved to San Fran at the end of his series with his Fiance and gave the Star Staff to Connie's making her Stargirl.