Garth Ennis, Edgey Asshole

Hey, Holla Forums Why is Garth Ennis so edgy?
Is there any particular reason why he hates
Superheroes other than them not being as edgy as his characters? What's his deal with trench coats?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LmaOhsQF8OI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why are super hero deconstructions usually just make everyone assholes…

"What if superheroes weren't as good of people as we thought" is a concept that has been done before. "What if superheroes were terrible people because I didn't grow up reading them" is just bullshit.

Is it the same faggot that keeps making all these "edgy" threads ?

If you don't like it , don't read it you fucking autist.

Reminder that "Edgy" does not necessarily mean "Bad".

Though it is rare that it is properly pulled off.

Kill la Kill was only edgy the first 3 episodes. After the ball got rolling it was an action comedy.

Garth Ennis is the ultimate 90s kid.

Waiting for someone to re-edit preacher to be about Islam. Soon as that happen. Garth ennis will be crying islamophobia and religion of peace is the most tolerant people in the world. Anti-theist writers doing a Muslims Dinu nothin episode is both Cilces and cowardly.

Is this some funny meme I am not aware of? Every Ennis thread there is someone saying he sucks Mohamed's cock, but I can never find a source for that.

Yeah, he's edgy, but I don't know if he's an asshole. I mean, Mark Millar is probably an okay guy, but he writes edgy shit day in and day out.

Cause all the guys that write them are British, right? They're entire culture sees superheroes different, they think it's childish mostly. I love things like Watchmen where heroes are troubled, well intentioned people (at least at the start). I can put myself in their shoes and at least somewhat understand what makes them tick and the decisions they made. But The Boys was just "DURR HURR WE'RE SUCH DICKS!".

If you want an American deconstruction of heroes: Squadron Supreme by Mark Gruenwald. It predates Watchmen by a year, and it basically asks "What if heroes tried to fix all the world's problems". It's a better 'deconstruction' than most things that came after it, it has a better, more understandable conflict between heroes than either Civil War, and it's like getting a Justice League story as told by Marvel. And during all over it, they never STOP being heroes. Even at their worst, there is a noble quality to them, they are worthy of admiration despite their all too human flaws.

One thing I would like to read is a comic about supervillains reforming and having to go to support groups or shit like that, with superpowered social workers helping them to find their way.

Same… There are some really convincing arguments that he is anti-Christian, but I have never seen him actually being Islam apologist.

I could see writing something like that. It would have to have a lot of elements of other stories with reformed criminals and such, like temptation from former peers or henchmen, perhaps a drug like addiction to the use of their powers, and of course mental health concerns. And if two in the support group became involved romantically and they had to struggle with enabling eachother… there is a lot that could be done with that.

If I ever sit down and try to flesh it out a lot more, you won't mind?

Sure, go ahead. Not like it is an idea I could register.

I've been wondering why UK comics writers in general seem to hate superheroes. And they're not even indifferent to the genre; they go out of their way to write books like The Boys and Nemesis and so on just to shit on superheroes.

I just find his general attitude about superheroes to be kind of dickish, considering he put zero effort into really exploring the characters they he was trying to deconstruct.

I don't even know why he touched a genre he didn't enjoy or didn't have anything new to say about. I enjoy Hitman a lot more because that has to stay in the confines of the DC Universe, and he can't just make characters into terrible people (to the extent of The Boys, at least.)

Is it a Northern Irish thing? I think it might be a Northern Irish thing.
The Anti-Christian thing, not being an Islam Apologist.

I mean, if there are already too many "Edgy" threads, go right ahead.

I'd say his Punisher rip-off was alright

From what I've read, he resents the fact that he's stuck writing for comics, and superheroes are the best known comics.

Has he actually tried dabbling in whatever medium he actually wants to work in or no?
Because if he isn't, he's complaining about a situation he's keeping himself in.

I think you people are really unfair with Garth. The Boys, for instance, is not 72 issues of pure edginess: as Ennis said in one of the afterwords, it's a story about how hard men shape history and it goes from government corruption and corporate greed to a number os more personal questions.

When you go past the scatology (and there really isn't so much of it) there are plenty of interesting characters and motivations too, all of the Boys (especially Mother's Milk), Hughie's girlfriend, Mallory, those Superduper guys and even the Homelander, with his internal conflict with VA. And the great majority of them aren't complete dicks.

Also,

The quote is from here:
youtube.com/watch?v=LmaOhsQF8OI

Well yeah, Garth, when you compare something to Marshal Law, of course you seem less edgy. The Boys is definitely edgier than a lot of deconstructions, but it's no where near Marshal Law territory.

But the Marshal Law comics aren't as tryhard as The Boys. The Boys really wants you to think it's cool and in bits like these , that it has something interesting to say. Marshal Law is edgy, but it doesn't put on airs.

Marshal Law comics from a place of legitamate hatred (which I don't really get, but whatever), whereas The Boys comes from a place of mild annoyance at most.
I think it's required that British comic writers need to make at least one Deconstructive work about superheroes, just to prove they can do it.

So british are presuntuous smug cunts like the french but more centered about violence and destroying what they hate while the french are more centered about imaginative worlds and naked beautiful figures?

There was a recent story about supervillains trying to reform by Marvel called the Hood's Illuminati. The supervillains eventually return to crime. I'm not sure if you'd like it. It starts out good and you feel sorry for Titania as she's trying to lead a normal life while her husband Absorbing man is in prison. The series starts out good but kinda meanders in the middle and falls apart at the end. The only good characters were probably Titania, Absorbing man and maybe the Hood.

There was a Marvel comic where some sort of superman rip off gets to help in a kidnapping case where a Z grade supervillaing kidnapped a kid and killed some random guy, believing that the kid was his son. It shown how everyone distrusted him for being a superhero and were clearly hostile to him. He used his super powers to discover that the kid kidnapped was adopted, so it might be possible for the supervillain to be the father. Soon, the superman copy found the supervillain and he thought in many violent ways he could do to save the kid and dispose of the supervillian, instead he stops him, talk to him and discover that the supervillian just got out of jail to find out that his biological son died because the whore of the mother didn't took care of him and his body was found on the dumpster. He then realized he killed someone and started to cry hugging the superman copy.

It was a touching story I loved.

Yeah, but like the French, some are better at it than others.

The Hood sounds familiar. Is he based on a Golden Age character or something?

Can you tell me the name of the comic, user?

If I remembered I would already told you. Someone storytelled it years ago in half Holla Forums when it didn't go to shit yet.

Seems to the that the series was just a revenge wank fantasy of an ugly britcuck against the entire american superhero genre.

ugly art, shitty tryhard mastubatory dialogues, terrible, boring, unlikeable caricature characters, grimdrek that makes the lügenpresse propaganda looked nuanced.

plus the protagonist looks like a self-insert of the ugly pudgy incel island monkey author lol

lol

retard

It's been done better too.

Nobody else but shitty comic companies want to hire him though. Like Hideo Kojima or David Cage will never make it in Hollywood because they're shitty authors/writers, so they're stuck writing horrible videogame plots.

Did Ennis rape your mum or something user ?

You seem to have a real hard on for him.

Britcuck defending a paddy. It's like poetry.

not possible, since britcucks only have sex with their right hand while their women get raped by paki gangs

That's funny. Maybe it's just the different styles, but The Boys strikes me as much more venomous than Marshal Law. And a lot longer, too.

Even then, Most of the characters in Watchmen weren't outright assholes. Just The Comedian really.

Kojima never struck me as someone who dislikes making video games. I think he wants to make movies and games at the same time. The sign of a developer who hates that they're stuck working in video games, is that they utterly half ass the gameplay portion of whatever they're working on.

Kojima is pretty much the best balance you can hope for when it comes to writing and games, that I've seen so far.

Is a problem with games that the story is either written by a random programmer or worse, the one staff member whose reams of fanfiction has convinced them they can totally write gud too, and either way usually ends up a transparent watered-down knockoff of something else. (usually Tom Clancy or Aliens) And the alternative is that; people who want to be directing Hollywood movies.

I agree that he went overboard with it (as he is sadly wont to do) but the core concept has some logic. In The Boys, supes are celebrities and media whores, glorified brand names that people get inexplicably invested in (much like in real life, nyuk nyuk nyuk). How many celebrities do you know that are well-adjusted people?

I don't know any celebrities, personally.

About as many as I known to be ill-adjusted people.

Mgs gameplay is trash though, the only good game cumjimer worked on was ZOE2, which he was hardly involved with.

I too would like to read this, anyone care to help out?

Which Superman rip-off was it?
Hyperion? Sentry? Gladiator?

Most, actually. The media whores are just the ones you see the most. A lot of celebrities are content with where they are.

So The Boys' heroes are what heroes are in today comics? celebrities with superpowers and not interested in heroics?

Also, I don't remember. He was rather autistic with his powers. I at least can say he wasn't the Sentry.

Well, he is an Atheist.

I think this was based on a misunderstanding regarding Crossed. Anons here attributed a Crossed story where the writer apologises for Islam to Ennis because Ennis originated the series, Ennis didn't write the story in question.

Anyone has any page of the comic of the controversy?

I can't think of any other Superman stand-ins other than those three, and the one that they retconned in as the first black superhero.

Unless you count Ultraverse. Why would you count Ultraverse?

I think Alan Moore sort of got at why. Most of the traditional British heroes are criminals.

"men in trenchcoats with guns are good, superheroes are bad, men with guns kill superheroes because superheroes just suddently stop having superpowers"

Why is Ennis so shit?

I thought Mark Millar was more edgy what with the Unfunnies, Nemesis and stuff like that but is Garth Ennis more edgy?

Seriously? I see it as darker and more serious than the sonic games but i feel it's "baby first edgy game" since it's not that edgy

I don't think you can really top Millar in edginess.

I`m hust saying that overall it`s not as edgy as people say it is

It's pretty edgy. Especially for a fucking Sonic game.

What was so edgy in it, i feel like i forgot stuff from it

Guns and swearing.
Also, you could work for a big, dumb Starro looking alien, which was the evil path.

Yes, they are supposed to mimic the everyday britcuck.

The whole image is a joke. Don't worry about it.

I'm curious, what's your stance on Superhero Deconstructions?

What did he mean meme by this?

Ah that is not surprising that anons would confuse the hell out of this shit. Let me guess, this writer was Max Beamis. The same cuck who wrote that wonderful Crossed satire about SJWs?

He was based on Simon Pegg