What are Holla Forums's thoughts on the Brave web browser?

What are Holla Forums's thoughts on the Brave web browser?

Will it actually take off?

Just use a host file to block ads. Faster, more efficient and you can use the browser you feel most comfortable with.

If their advertising model works out it will be much better than what currently exists. I don't really see how it will work in practice. It wants to give 55% of the ad income to content publishers, but there's no standardized way to do that.

I also don't think that you should have to use an entire specific browser to do that. I use qutebrowser and this isn't worth switching.

It's not a bad idea, but Brave's UI looks terrible right now.

Not only is it shit, it is willfully harmful shit.

You realize that's optional, right retard? You can set it to just block ads without replacing the ads.

Why would you use it if you then do that?

As long as the ads they supply don't invade peoples' privacy or serve malware then I'm all for it. It'll take off I reckon, not enough to threaten even Firefox, but it'll have some users.

Oh look, it's "what are your thoughts on $browser" thread #3837302893

built in adblock, built in https everywhere, alternative to sjwfox. I don't use it, but there are good reasons for alternatives to exist

So it has things built-in that most popular browsers support as high quality extensions. That's kind of nice but not much of a selling point.

I don't see what's wrong with calling the browser shit because its only selling point is shit, even if it's optional.

Dealbreaker.

The web renderer monopoly is a big threat. This project should have known better, based on who's involved. It's either lazy or willfully malevolent.

I'll reinvestigate when they switch to gecko or, longterm, servo.

Why is it so difficult to just make or fork a plain, vanilla browser with all the worst botnet shit removed?

I still haven't found a better option than spending hours gutting furryfox, other than just using lynx or something

My money's on Otter

Clone the git repository of Chromium or Firefox and try to look into it. It's an endless nightmare of hacks, binary blobs, and things that never should have been in a Git repository to begin with. The internet is fucked and the fault lies with Netscape and Microsoft with their constant race to the bottom during the 90s to accept more and more broken web-code in their browsers. Instead browsers should behave like compilers: if there is even the slightest mistake in the code the browser should abort everything and print the error instead. I don't care if Pajeet has to work overtime to make the website work. It's just a fucking XML file, if you can't make even that properly formatted your suck.

Not sure what's the exact algorithm to determine what kind of ads do show when visiting certain pages. It is said it's not privacy invading, but unless it downloads all ads on a new run and then determines which ones to put locally, it will probably be a privacy nightmare.

That said, ads won't server malware. Eich has confirmed ads will be curated, and they will only allow them to carry basic components, such as images and a link to the website. Not sure if they will be able to do something to prevent stuff like libpng exploits or the likes.

Eich confirmed on Twitter he would like to switch to Servo as soon as it's ready. Blame Mozilla for being slackers.

Literally what?

Browsers are deprecated.

It's a meritocracy, bitch.

Is there any browser that does this, or do we need to make one?

No, it's actually a who-can-force-their-shit-on-the-most-normies-through-whatever-tactics-deemed-barely-legal-opoly, but thanks for playing.
>>>/liberty/

That's great to hear. I'll check it out when that happens.

I believe it would be beneficial to at least start with an addon for Firefox and Chrome. If a webpage was improperly formatted it would display a warning to the user, and make a note on a central website where all the sites encountered are judged and discussed (like WOT).

Browsers are shockingly and embarrassingly easy to code all by yourself. The problem is not browsers, but the current "Web 3.0". If it wasn't for 150MB websites that serve up 30MB of fucking Javascript and tracking libraries for every single page we wouldn't need this monolithic monstrosities to view them.

Fix the web first. We need to remove the current cancer that is Web 3.0 and return to text and content centric HTML+CSS, and if HTML isn't fucking GOOD enough then we need to scrap the whole god damn thing and come up with something better instead of piling crap after crap after crap on top of HTML.

wew

Exactly. The problem is not your browser. The problem is the websites.

JS is fine sometimes, but is way overused. When even the basic content of your site needs a script, you fucked up.

FHML and FHTP when?

Why did Javascript become so big? It seems like "shitty scripting language with no new features" number 9001.

Hence apps and people only using about 10 different sites in the future.

Because it's what Java was aspiring to be, but it actually succeeded.

Write once, run everywhere, no visible install either. And it's only growing more entrenched as we standardize shit like system notifications, vibration, etc (thanks FxOS)

Every browser's UI is shitty. Firefox is only saved because you can customize it and because forks readd the sane theme back in.

It might, looks like you can change where the tab bar is. I'm not sure if you can remove the retarded theme and force it to use your system theme.

If any of this is incorrect I'll end by saying, I haven't installed it, just glanced at it on Google Images.

We should start by taking current Web software, and making it work without JS. I've already started doing this on one FOSS project, but whether or not it gets anywhere I won't know.

While we are on the topic, what about Icon-Fonts? Are those okay? An text icon with a css declaration to color it uses much less space and bandwidth than a png, and it can be scaled.

You are describing Gnu icecat

They already work without JS. It's called HTML. Ask yourself why a website "needs" a scripting language in the first place. If the answer is "yes" then it SHOULDN'T BE A FUCKING WEBSITE. What you have is a piece of software and should be treated as such, not a website.

Do you know how perverse it's becoming? They're using node-webkit to make desktop apps now. They're literally packaging an entire browser, plus a javascript heavy "website", into a single executable application rather than just making the application to begin with. This has gone beyond abstract programming and turned into straight up nonsense.

Oh I know. It's retarded! All this bloat, and JS isn't the most secure thing either. The problem is Hipsters and other talentless idiots who have ruined everything.

If you want to run something the replaces ads instead of removeing them (and all the risks entailed by having such complex code tacked onto your browser), I'm not stopping you.

This is how dumb you sound.

A disgusting piece of adware made by the degenerate inventor of Javascript. Please stop making excuses for this faggot just because of his resignation from Mozilla.

Short and Quick: NO. No one gives a fuck on Brave and nobody will use it productively.