Cheapest low-power NAS setup (4+ HDDs)?

I want to assemble an inexpensive low-power storage server that will handle 4 or more HDDs. The most "work" it will need to do is stream 1080p video over local network.

I'm thinking of buying some Intel Atom or AMD embedded mobo, a LianLi or similar mATX case, and some PCIE-to-2-SATA adapter. Is this my best bet, or is there anything cheaper?

Other urls found in this thread:

asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXPh/
youtube.com/watch?v=ei9uVskwPNE
snapraid.it/faq#howmanypar
snapraid.it/manual
archive.is/t6oGt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cheapest? Just buy a premade NAS from synology qnap or my cloud or some shit. Just watch out for specs if you want a plex/emby server to transcode those videos on the fly.

you going to be doing any transcoding or just serving up the raw video files?

I like FreeNAS (ZFS) on passively-cooled atom system with some ECC memory. not the cheapest though.

Not OP but in relation to that, what exactly is the advantage of a NAS over simply making an FTP server from and old PC and a couple of HDDs?

I recently bought 4 HDDs and am not sure what to do with them (should I use ZFS or Btrfs? Raid and if so what type?).
So bump.

You can make your own for way cheaper. The $500 you will spend on a Qnap or Syology doesn't include any disk.

You can get a motherboard cpu combo for $150
A Hot swap case + psu combo for $100
Ram for $50

So you save $200 doing it diy.

asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXPh/
You can thank me later.

BTRFS is still experimental and a huge critical bug was discovered just last month.
Go with ZFS.

FTP on a lan is slow when compared to other protocols.
FTP isn't as stable when mounted as a disk.

Get a FX AMD board.
Get a decent FX processor.
Get ECC RAM.
Run the OS on an SSD.

It doesn't have ECC, so that rules out ZFS.

Technically it rules out ANY filesystem, since one bit corruption in the wrong place when doing file IO and *boom* your data is corrupted.

Always use ECC is you value data integrity.

A p3 found on the side of the road with a new decently efficient power supply. Use snapraid or throw your money down the drain, I'm saving between 15 to 25w with the extra disks that can be spun down compared to raid 5.

Too bad they don't exist.

Intel are only invasive Jews because AMD is incompetent and lets them be by treating their business like a toaster factory.

This is what I used for my nas. I just set up openmediavault and use the snapraid plugin.

Their 95 watt, 6+ core processors aren't bad, and do well if you want to do some multi-threaded encoding.
I'd rather give my money to AMD and have a humidity stabilizer than give money to Jewtel.

I agree, I do hate Intel, but I also hate AMD. All three companies, NVIDYA included, have taken advantage of the lack of real competition. That the 1060 is worth buying is actually shocking to me given that the last two generations were ass.

Of course, if you get a last-gen AMD model just for the multithreading it's a win-win. I do wish more software took advantage of moar corez, because the parallel efficiency is pretty gucci.

ZFS takes advantaged of threading, as does NFS and ffmpeg.
VM's even get individual cores.
It's basically a no brainer to go with AMD hardware if you intend on building a cheap, powerful, multi-role server.

I just wish someone would release an inexpensive RISCV, Mill, or even a good high power ARM CPU.
I also wish that VIA would make something that's not complete shit.

This would be okay:
youtube.com/watch?v=ei9uVskwPNE

I doubt VIA has invested more than relative pocket change into R&D, their processors only exist so Intel doesn't legally have a monopoly.

This sounds pretty appealing, since it claims you can use already-full disks without having to do a big re-format. Lack of striping also seems like an ok trade-off if it means you don't need to have all disks spinning all the time. But it also claims you only need one parity disk to recover from drive failure, how is that possible?

Is this just some sort of LVM? What am I missing? Holla Forumspill me

If you use a self-healing fs like ZFS/btrfs, your data is safe. Worse case scenario is a crash/kernel panic.

Snapraid isn't really "RAID". Rather, it's used more like a parity based non-live pseudo-RAID with additional error correction to protect again corruption.
If you have one data drive, and one parity drive (of equal size or larger to the data drive), then it acts just like a backup. Perfect for my setup.
If you have 2 data drives, then it starts acting more RAID-like. If you have one parity drive, then you can only recover the loss of 1 data drive. You'd also want to have a true backup system in place, like rsync/rsnapshot/etc.
One area where it may be especially useful is when you have old disks you don't have a use for anymore. Because snapraid is scheduled, rather than live, they don't need to be doing anything most of the time and you can use what would otherwise be useless to boost your parity amount.

How it can recover the loss of disk with fewer parity disks is bit magic that I plain don't understand. But after looking into it a year ago, I saw enough people who had problems resolved with it that I can believe in it.
See the recommended parity disks here snapraid.it/faq#howmanypar
Also see: snapraid.it/manual
The real reason I chose to use snapraid is because with the OMV gui, it does everything I want to do with minimal fucking around and was easy to understand with my setup. I'm not 20 anymore, and honestly don't like perpetually burning time on computers researching how to get something to finally work right. I set it up, tested it, and it did what I expected.

My setup is a openmediavault based nas, I have 2 disks in Raid1. This "drive" is scheduled to be backed up daily to a third disk via snapraid, and is error checked every month.
Finally, I have an external disk that is in a theft/fire safe location which I make an additional backup every month or two depending on whether I changed much in my funny cat pictures hoard.

My primary computer is backed up to a folder in the NAS. I won't ever be making one of those damn "oh no I lost everything, post /boardrelated/ pictures here" threads.

Physically, It's a fairly simple and easy setup, and other than the asrock motherboard/apu and a new HGST harddrive, was made with shit I already had lying around. Note that openmediavault actually sits on a tiny old SSD, not on the disks for data. The hardest part of the thing was getting permissions and shit correct so that only my windows machine can access the files as a mapped directory drive, which took some trial and error.

Last I recall, the whole setup pulls an average of 15 watts, though that may be off +-5w. If your super curious, I could stick my kill-a-watt on it and make sure.

After you decide on the hardware, take a look at NAS4FREE. Shit name aside, it is more stable than FreeNAS I've found

Wrong.
archive.is/t6oGt

BTRFS is broken
https:[email protected]/* *//msg55179.html
https:[email protected]/* *//msg55161.html

DO NOT USE BTRFS RAID 5 OR 6 IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR DATA

FreeNAS got bought out by a company.
NAS4FREE is the continuation of the community developed FreeNAS.