Linux and my family

Im going to visit some relatives this weekend and im going to be wearing a linux penguin shirt.. theyll probably ask what linux is

so far my explanation would be linux is a free open operating system that runs on a lot of industrial machinery and other places...

as you can tell im not very good at explaining things, they are farmers and i dont want to sound like an idiot.

what should i tell my farmer relatives that linux is?

inb4 Richard stallman quotes lul

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gnu/linux is a free (as in freedom) that lets the users of it doing anything they want and that's why it is very used in the tech world it is very safe and stable.
install gentoo

edit:
Gnu/linux is a free software

wont this make me sound nerdy as hell.. yes it will!

I just want something short and simple

also i will be giving them kodi boxes for tv. which i assume wouldnt be possible without gnu/linux

I dont mean to sound like a dick but that would definitely make me sound stupid

Don't tell them it's just for industrial machinery, because that's anything but true. Why don't you bring your laptop and show them if they're interested (which they probably won't be)?

Gnu/linux is the mascot of the tools that I use

You can tell them that Linux is an operating system, like Windows, but free. Both in the sense that it doesn't cost any money and in the sense of freedom. Anyone is allowed to improve it or fix it. Because of that it's what's used by both NASA astronauts on the ISS and computers for third-world children (OLPC), and for both supercomputers and the basis of Android for smartphones.

Kodi runs on a lot of other operating systems, and was originally developed for the Xbox, believe it or not. Most Kodi boxes run Linux though.

Doesn't SystemDOS still uses Linux for some of its functions?

Just tell them Android is built on top of Linux, and unlike other OSs anyone can see how it works and mess with it.
I'm sure a farmer can see the value of being able to fix the thing when it inevitably breaks if you explain it right. Of course, you wouldn't fix the kernel, but you can modify any other free software to do what you need and in the Linux world most software is free. You'll also have to explain that free doesn't mean gratis. Don't go overboard with details unless you want them to remember you're autist.

"Microsoft spies on you now, it's generalized, it's full of backdoors and if you keep having issues, it's because you don't want to use anything else than Windows.... Look at all the things I can do with Linux, browse the net, pirate music, watch free movies, do graphics (krita only. never Gimp. never. faggot!)

scare them, force them to know the real truth about the Apple/Microsoft's jew.

thanks for the help fellas

My parents are using Ubuntu Mate. I did not bother to explain what it is. It just works for them and it isn't Windows 10. They're very happy.

just don't wear it .

does Android really run on top of linux? why do i find android so hard to use then? i must just be stupid

It does. Linux is a kernel, though, which is so low level that you rarely interact with it directly. Linux is the only part it shares with (GNU/)Linux distros.

and GNU stands for what exactly? ive never really understood this

Gnu's Not Unix

Yes.

Because it's shit. Everything on top of Linux is different from your typical GNU/Linux installation. That's why the GNU part is so important, once you strip that away, you may find that you have a completely unrecognizable system. Android has its own tools and Gapps for its userland, in lieu of GNU, that is the part that you are describing that is difficult for you to use.

Are you also going to wear cargo shorts and a fedora?

yes

How? How are they gonna get "linux" from a fucking penguin if they're farmers?

Just say "it's software that runs on computers". If they press more, "it's software that powers the internet".

wow that was hard

ok thanks

What the fuck are you talking about? As if GNU components are the crucial difference between android and a desktop Linux system. It has nothing to do with GNU at all. A desktop system with no GNU software whatsoever would still be completely different to an Android system. A BSD system with no GNU components would be more recognizable than an Android system with GNU components.

1v1 me stallmanites, I'll take all of you

They won't give a shit and just think it's some graphic tee with a picture of a random penguin.

Just say that it's an alternative operating system to Windows or Mac. If they press more (which I doubt), explain that it has a model where anyone can help make it better instead of having to wait for Microsoft or Apple, or that it has a lot of good features for the technologically inclined. Just something simple like that.

This thread seems like the appropriate place to ask. If Linux is just the kernel and nothing more, then where is the GNU OS? Why is it that I can download the kernel, but not the GNU OS? My professor told me that you could just take the Linux kernel and put some packages on it and it becomes a distro, but I think that this is wrong since it is still missing the OS.

GNU is the coreutils. you can technically replace GNU software with other coreutil programs, but most distributions use the GNU coreutils. Hence GNU/Linux. Linux is a part of the OS though. And technically anything built on top of Linux is a Linux distribution. It's just that most distributions use the GNU coreutils, hence GNU/Linux.

There is no 100% GNU OS. Stallman's autistic keyboard warriors are deluding themselves. The closest thing (AFAIK) is GuixSD, and that still is nowhere near being 100% GNU packages

Linux is not just the kernel, Linux is also the most commonly used term for the entire operating system.

I wish people would use a different naming scheme so as not to confuse each other. I tend to use Linux for most distributions, and specify GNU/Linux when talking about fully free distributions and occasionally Debian since the FSF not endorsing them is basically just autism at this point.

In my mind, specifying GNU/Linux implies that the distribution is aiming to sort of complete the GNU project and provide a fully free unix-like alternative. Some distributions aim for this niche, but a lot of others have different priorities, which in my mind make it unassociated with the GNU project even though it may use their coreutils.

The kernel is part of the OS. An old uncommon usage of "operating system" is as a synonym for "kernel", but it's usually meant as more than that nowadays. A lot of the packages you put on top of it are part of GNU.

Linux is a single program, but GNU is a project to create a full operating system that includes a lot of software, including bash, the coreutils, GCC and glibc. is not correct, the coreutils are only a small part of it.

GNU even has its own kernel but it's not very good yet.

GuixSD with HURD will have a GNU bootloader, kernel, init system, C standard library, package manager, compiler, shell, standard utilities, extension language, parser generator, TLS library, and whatever the fuck else. It will be a GNU OS.

Debian GNU/HURD is already released. It's far from pure GNU, but it doesn't actually have any Linux so calling it a GNU OS is acceptable.

So when you download the kernel from kernel.org, you're downloading the GNU coreutils as well?

Inconsistent naming schemes tend to get confusing with distros. It's not a good thing when you have to start every discussion by defining the terms you're going to use, if you want to avoid confusion. I've always used GNU/Linux to refer to a desktop/server Linux system, i.e. not Android

Yes, and humanity on the whole will have moved on from computers as we currently know them them by the time GuixSD with Hurd is stable. Still won't be anywhere near 100% GNU though, even though it'll be 100% GPL

Also, Debian GNU/Hurd hasn't been released. From Debian's site:

No. Are you seriously asking or are you trying to make a point?

No. The kernel and the coreutils are two different parts of the operating system that's usually called "Linux" or "GNU/Linux". The kernel is the only individual part of the system that's called "Linux". It can be used without the coreutils, just like the coreutils can be used without Linux.

Which parts of GuixSD with HURD won't be GNU?

I meant that you can install and use Debian GNU/HURD without jumping through too many hoops. I should have phrased it differently, sorry.

BUSYBOX MASTER RACE

MASTER RACE
A
S
T
E
R

R
A
C
E

Look for yourself gnu.org/software/guix/packages/

which distributions use busybox? alpine? something like that?

That's like saying that Windows is not pure Windows because you can install Firefox on it.

Most of that is not in the base system.

Busybox provides an alternative for only part of GNU. It doesn't have a compiler or a C library or a bootloader or a curses library.

Alpine uses it in the base install, but it still packages the coreutils. Alpine's base userland is only 6 MB and meant to be that small so it has a good reason for not using the GNU coreutils by default that doesn't apply to other distros.

Actually it's more like saying that Windows is not pure Microsoft software, which is completely correct. Windows contains different free/open source components. GuixSD is still GuixSD even if it contains non-GNU components, but it's not 100% GNU-made software. Does that make sense?

GuixSD = Windows = The OS name
GNU = Microsoft = The vendor

To add to , the other difference is that Windows doesn't provide Firefox, it simply allows for Firefox's installation. GuixSD actually provides those packages.

Most of the software in that list is not part of the operating system, it's just software that's conveniently pre-packaged.

It's part of the distro, but it's not part of the operating system, so it can still be a 100% GNU OS.

I'd argue that because they're packaged by GuixSD and provided by GuixSD, they are a part of GuixSD. Either way, there is software in the base install which was not made by the GNU project. Things like dbus, or openssh, or libreoffice, or cups. I've never installed GuixSD but there's no fucking way that every single component they use is from the GNU project

u wot m8, the distro is the operating system

Wikipedia:

Got a laptop running Linux? Remember the old writing advice: "show, don't tell."

I would guess dbus is in the base system, so alright. But I'm certain Libreoffice isn't and I know that OpenSSH has a packaged GNU replacement, lsh.

Do you really consider a web browser part of an operating system? Distros package plenty of them.

Smh, no one here knows how to talk to normies:
It's like Windows but faster and it's free referring to price, because they're normies, that's what they'll assume it means anyway, it also lets you see inside it to check it's not giving your private information to big companies, like Windows does.

The linux kernel is not capable of getting all video modes when using vga=ask, due to not writing VBE2 to the buffer before requesting the modes. I learned that when writing my own bootloader and it's a simple 2-line patch, but I'm reclutant to submit it due to the high learning curve of submitting patches to the linux kernel.
Point is, yeah, you would fix/change small things in the kernel if it's in your interest.

This is what I tell my family when they ask what I'm using:

Linux is a system where instead of some company, I have full control over the system. It does exactly what I want, when I want, how I want, but it comes at the price of bad support by software and hardware companies because it's used less than windows; and is a bit harder to learn.

"It's a operating system I do stuff on."

It's not that hard, folks.

Some of you sound like you are coming out of the closet about your boyfriend with the good news of Christ.

"It is a computer operating system."
"You know how when you boot a computer it starts Windows, and then you use Windows to run other programs? It is like that. It is a different one from windows."
"It does some things differently. Can be better if you understand computers very well."
"Yes. It is like Windows. I put my programs on it, yes."

Here's an idea: Don't be an autistic nigger. You're visiting family, try actually visiting them instead of trying to shill garbage software on them.