Touchscreens vs mechanical buttons

which of these two on average are more durable over time? just curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Touchscreens obviously.
Anything involving moving parts eventually break.
This is why SSDs win over HDDS (even though poor autists here won't admit it)
And why fixed blade knives win over folding knives.
Etc.

is right, even though the screen can get all smudgy and break, in which case you get false positives and it's real annoying.
Also, it's more versatile, as you can hide the keyboard if not using it, etc.
But if you use the keyboard for work, or constantly, tactile feedback is kinda important, it's easier for you not to see the keys and ace every letter, as the computer stops being just a media center. If you don't care, thought, then go with the tactile interface.

I can't wait for the day we get screen keyboards that have forcefield holographic 3D keys which are tactile. You get the best of both worlds

Solid state decays as information is written to it. Hard disks do not.

Good consumer SSDs will last 100 years writing 20 gigs a day.
anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4
You will die before a good SSD does.

True but depending on the build quality moving parts can work long past their useful lifespan for example there are teletypes made in the 1960's that still work despite all their moving parts (only requiring minor repairs at best).

Those things were built to last, like many things in that era.

In CURRENTYEAR, manufacturers don't even care if their device works until the warranty period ends. They save $10n by using cheap materials and underengineering everything, and spend $n on warranty replacements of the devices that fail. Then hold onto your butts, because after the warranty period is over, they will start failing in large numbers.

Hard disks will experience dead sectors long before an SSD has written even 1/10th of the total lifetime of each cell. And then we're not even taking into account spontaneous complete failure issues such as click-of-death (actuator failure) or hum-of-death (failed spindle motor).

Mechanical buttons
Everything
Takes up spage

Touchscreens
Saves a bit of space
Everything

This is only true of capacitive screens, I repair pos terminals for a living and I tell you whut the resistive screens always die before the mechanical buttons.

Damn checkout chicks with their nails just scratch the touch surface away.

But resistive screens are being phased out right

No one likes that shit

Capacitive screens are twice as expensive in the pos market, resistive is still king here.

We're famous for being 2 decades behind everyone else. Serial is still the most common interface.

I guess that's why cashiers seem so angry, they have to put up with their resistive terminal all day

10 nanodollars?

But will SSDs 'work' in ten years?

My two year old SSD has dropped performance by 5%, I assume this deterioration will only speed up

FUCK touchscreens.

ssds can only write so many times before they break. If you look at the box it will tell you how many gigs you can write to it before it becomes useless.

Are you namefagging in the email field now? If so I'm gonna filter you by email too.

Capacitive touchscreens frequently last longer, but are effectively non-repairable without exact replacement parts. Mechanical buttons, especially in industrial/professional/prosumer products, are usually COTS items that have been in production for decades and have a variety of convenient nearly-interchangeable replacements available.

Everything breaks eventually. The difference is that buttons are dumb as fuck technology, literally just a switch and a resistor, that will always be around and always be replaceable. Whereas touchscreens, on top of being very fragile, are much more complicated, often custom/one-off parts that will absolutely stop being manufactured sooner or later, at which point a custom repair becomes increasing intractable.

Can confirm. To this day many POS terminals around here are decades old PCs running in text mode.

That's why they call it POS.

screens should not be touched. They are here for displying things and not for your greasy fingers to make them filthy.

also, embedded devices are always shit.
Tech equipment needs to be as modular as possible. If one part breaks down, you can replace the broken part. If you have an embedded device, if one part breaks down, you can trash the thing and buy a new one.

I remember when Apple made those "stylish" mac desktops in the early 2000s where the screen was integrated with the computer itself. It was totally retarded by design. You were unable to exchange or tune anything and if the screen gets fucked, you can buy a new computer.

*cries*

They still make all-in-one computers. Pretty sure most companies do now.

What am I looking at?
This would be nice if they simply upgraded the screens...

Don't ask which lasts longer. Ask which can be repaired easily to operate indefinitely.
Buttons can be replaced with a pair of pliers and some bare wire if needed.
Touchscreens need a massive interconnected global supply chain to replace with exact equivalent parts.

cisco pls

I owned an 89 Buick Reatta in a early 00's. The touch function of the touchscreen CRT never stopped working. I'd say it's plenty reliable. The CRT itself eventually died, but with a flipbook with diagrams of the screen I could still use it (kek)

It was a cool car I just couldn't keep everything working in its old age. Over 200k miles

Mechanical vs solid state is basically decades vs centuries comparisons.

And solid state can easily go into millennia if they're protected against corrosion with the use of proper construction materials.

Even millions of years is theoretically possible, really.

However, a touch-screen device is not solid state, it's mechanical (you have to touch it), so it'll break down faster than an actual solid state device.

Upgrades to an old aircraft simulator.
I think it's a full hardware overhaul

SSDs won't last anywhere near that as they degrade when powered off. Still can last a lifetime under normal conditions, though.