Slack is cancer

archive.is/8f6mh

Not that we didn't already know that, but their director of engineering is an angry (half?) negro that wants reparations 'n sheeeit.

“Extending is not making room at the table—it’s giving up your place at the table,” he said, speaking at the taping of the fifth episode of Ars Technica Live, held on August 17 at Longitude in downtown Oakland.

Literally cucked

I didn't know Ars Technica was this cucked.

Huh, so some no name webapp shit is cancer, color me impressed.
Do people at big name companies use it or something?

He nullifies his own argument by being a black guy who has worked in Silicon Valley for years in big name companies. If he can do it then why can't everyone else?

this tbh

Honestly, it's mostly the "live events" team and a few select posters there. I still have them in RSS because what the fuck else am I gonna follow for mainstream tech stuff, but there is definitely some influence. Fortunately, it's easy enough to spot the bias, and the commenters, despite being brigaded, are generally pretty okay for being a mainstream site.

Yes, slack is ridiculously trendy right now, lots of major companies getting onboard. Though it's basically just "cloud" IRC with emojis.

I thought it was Slackware we were talking about but turns out, it's nothing.

It's always funny when you see minorities talking about privilege and stuff, it's like they have no clue what it takes to make a society function.

I suggest techreport for mainstream stuff.

I took a quick look at the Slack site, and all I see is NIH IRC plus botnet and Emoji. Why not just use IRC instead? You can use a fancy GUI client as well if you really want to.

Maybe I should start a tech company where we literally just sell IRC in a wrapper, the development cost would close to zero and we could thus outprice all the hipster shit.

There seriously is a market for it. Just don't call it IRC and throw in buzzwords about private clouds. Maybe a web client that can do GIFs, bundle some common bots, bundle encryption and make a big stink about it. Companies will buy it up like crazy. That's all this really is anyway, which is why this guy could be director of engineering.

I think that IRCcloud is basically that.

It's because normalfag executives can't into IRC.

They want something for employees in their company to communicate with, but what are their options? Whatever shitty Atlassian chat product comes bundled with "that JIRA thing" their engineers use? Something their engineers all use called IRC? Looks complicated. Hey, there's something called slack! It's like IRC except it's easier for everyone in the company to use! Let's pick that!

Go back to Holla Forums, kid.

Slack is pretty shit, but it's more convenient than my company's internal IRC platform, and they aren't interested in standing up an open-source alternative that can be accessed outside the VPN.

Go back to slack nigger.

Iron Phalanx uses Slack. Their opsec is a joke, they let people in the room on a fake profile and a firm handshake. That's what lets someone else run you from the outside, boys.

He didn't make an argument, he just told white people what to do any implicitly threatened to accuse them of racism if they didn't.

You'd think that niggers would find it hilarious that all these white cucks are bending and scraping for them but they themselves are so programmed into their role that they're somehow resentful of it.

The only way out is to eschew the Jew.

Yeah no. When you can earn your place via technical merit then you are welcome here. Till then fuck off nigger.

lol who cares xD

why would you even pay for slack premium ($6+/mo per active user) when you can get a better product (rocket.chat) set up in five minutes using any deployment strategy you can dream dream up? They have pre-built docker images, docker-composer, heroku, whatever the fuck you want, and I'm pretty sure they even have AD and LDAP syncing for authentication.

why would people be so stupid? Wake me up

let me guess... the server software is centralized

it's not like you can't use Unicode in IRC

IRC is full of autism, they deliberately make things difficult out of a misguided sense of elitism.

why would it have to be accessed from outside the VPN?
it'd be like any other internal web application.

It's mainly the clients that are autistic.
GNOME has a pretty good normalfag client, Polari.

Persistent chat history is important for businesses. It's a pain in the ass to have with IRC when people are using laptops and other devices that go to sleep often. Either you take the impractical neckbeard route and give each user a VPS that they can ssh into and run an IRC client off of, or you offer separate IRC archives on a website and now you have the pain in the ass of checking that before you can catch up with your client.

Most of the other features of hipster IRC alternatives are gimmicks, but centralization does make it really easy to implement useful features like that. For the most part, however, Slack and its ilk are just more overpriced shit taking advantage of startups run on VC funny money. An open source centralized chat app could replace them in a heartbeat.

It's easier for less-technically-inclined people to set up and manage than many other existing deployable web applications. It also has a range of integrations with other services, without having to write any code at all.
I mean, it's not going to win you neckbeard cred, but it's just like any other SaaS site that people outsource some technical aspect to.