Just thinking out loud late at night

Just thinking out loud late at night

so I'm about to graduate from a CC with a bullshit degree in "natural science." My goal was just to transfer to a Uni for electrical engineering, but hey thought I might as well pick it up (plus it looks good for the school). I've done pretty well and I'm applying to UC Davis, Berkeley and various other UC's and CSU's (yup, califag here). I got a 3.7 gpa so I should therefore have guaranteed admission (though I have friend going to UC Davis who almost didn't get in because of too many guaranteed admissions). CSU wouldn't be too bad for me, I visited a couple EE programs at CSU's and was impressed with all of them

Any fuckin way, here's the spiel. I'm burnt out. I have no motivation to continue. I don't want to deal with the student loan debt, especially if I get accepted and hate my life at Uni and get shit teir grades or even drop out. I'm feeling the NEET life is for me. I just wanna waste half my awake life doing menial tasks all day and then explore my interests and hobbies on the afternoons and weekends. At least that's how I feel now

I don't think I can successfully bail school for a few years and come back, I'll have forgotten too much and feel overwhelmed. I gotta decide by the end of the year, keeping slogging over physics and math books for the next 2-3 years or go full NEET. I'm thinking of becoming an electrician, since I like electrical systems. I may get some odds jobs with my AS, but probably because I know C++ more than anything

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/review/R2WT849UPLLD8D/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=013602212X&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283155&store=books#wasThisHelpful
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

oh and if it even fuckin matters I'm 21

Pick a degree you enjoy next time. Going NEET is horrible.
Trust me been threre done that

took me awhile to realize that the reason she doesn't sit next to him is because he has cancer

Learn x86 assembly and a scripting language (Python seems popular and is pretty good if you ignore the SJWs). Get Network and A+ certs.

wew hope I don't have to do that

but I think I enjoy what I'm majoring in, though maybe I should have majored in something that made bank instead of what I like. The technical side of things that come with is the hard part, which I understand you have to do to be proficient at the fun stuff. I just don't know if it's worth it anymore

my cc actually offers this but isn't x86 outdated? that's what I've read in reviews for the book

just downloaded python and geany recently actually, it's a fun language

I might consider going into programming, but I hear a lot of horror stories. I guess people think programming for a living is all shits and giggles but it's actually mind numbing. I'll toss it around

you know cancer isn't contagious right?

oh wait this is Holla Forums I forgot

What does this even mean?
First off, when you say "x86" do you mean the standard instruction set of the x86_64 architecture?

Do you mean the original Intel i386 architecture and its derivatives?

x86 assembly isn't necessarily "outdated" because the most powerful computer processors in the world and every desktop computer still supports it. Although with x86_64 assembly you are able to take advantage of 64-bit instructions by x86_64 is just a superset of x86

ah, the reviews were probably just referring to 32 bit systems. I would ask more questions but it seems I just need to do some research. never mind

here's the review if you wanna see it.

amazon.com/review/R2WT849UPLLD8D/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=013602212X&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283155&store=books#wasThisHelpful

I generally use "x86" to refer to both x86 and x64. You should know both, since a large number of userspace applications are still 32-bit and you may be asked to work with 32-bit applications. You should know both, and they're similar enough that it should be easy to learn both.

Programming as a job requires a certain mindset to not become mind numbing. People who enjoy mental puzzles or games like Sudoku tend to enjoy programming. I personally like working through logical puzzles, so I enjoy programming.

If the "horror story" you're worrying about is your job being outsourced, that's why it's a good idea to learn x86 and actually get gud at programming concepts instead of learning how to shit out unoptimised code (which unfortunately is what 90% of college courses teach you to do). Street shitters are great at shitting out poorly written code to do basic tasks, but they're horrible at really thinking through complicated problems and writing well-written code, so the more difficult (read: well-paying) jobs still go to first-world programmers.

Also, shitcoders typically don't know more obscure languages like bare bones x86/x64 assembly, so they can't do any jobs that involve those (they do exist, and they tend to pay well).

The same goes for "coders" who only know how to write simple Python scripts they learned from a four-week "coding bootcamp." Sure, they can throw together Python scripts, but ask them to reverse engineer a compiled program and they're worthless.

The general idea of making money in a field as saturated as computer science is to specialize. For example, I specialize in reverse engineering programs and doing security stuff, which requires a body of knowledge (x86 programming, knowledge of PE structure, knowledge of how exploits work and how to prevent them, knowledge of how malware works, etc) that most people, even knowledgeable programmers and CS majors, don't know.

Find a specialty you're good at and enjoy and you're made.

Get an easy degree in a STEM field like biology, get a teaching cert. BAM! Guaranteed middle class life for life and 3 months vacation a year to do fuck all.

I dropped out of high school and got my GED. I went back to college after being out of school for nearly 10 years. I was on the Deans list half of the semesters. If I can bail on school for 10 years and come back a few year break is nothing.

You can get an electrician apprenticeship certificate at a technical college in like two semesters plus you already have an AS. You would have no problem getting a job as an electrician.

cool story bro
-Barth

trips dubs d3x3d0x2

Barth

Newfag out.

I took a year and a half off from school in the middle and it was hard to get back into things (especially math) but I don't necessarily regret it. I felt more motivated when I first went back to school but now I feel like killing myself all the time and still haven't graduated while the people who I started my undergrad with have been out of school for over a year now and are making an ok living.

So it's not helpful but idk.