50th Anniversary of BATMAN THE MOVIE

Tomorrow is the 50th Anniversary of Batman: The Movie.

How are you going to celebrate, Holla Forums?

By continuing to wish Julie Newmar was in it.

Some images from the movie.

someone should livestream all batman movies.
would be fun to watch em together with other Holla Forumsmrades

Which came first: the movie or the series?

I was wondering if Holla Forums ever gets together for something like watching stuff on cytube or streams.

Probably by actually rewatching the movie. The last fight was actually pretty damn awesome.

The series. They wanted the movie to come first, but decided against it.

I would actually recommend watching the first season of Batman before watching the movie, or at least the episodes with the four main villains. It makes the movie even better.

SOME DAYS YOU JUST CAN'T GET RID OF A BOMB

But user, it's not the 50th anniversary of Mask of the Phantasm.

TODAY IS THE DAY

Both the movie and the TV show are over half a century old now

DC has done nothing to celebrate it.

Of course not. The show is despised among the casuals because it treats Batman as "silly". Thus, DC, who is staffed by casuals, prefers to pretend it never existed.

What those casuals fail to realize is Batman is silly.

Not in his well written comics, in those he is actually believable.

user, this show is bad. Batman's character was butchered in the silver age, and the best interpretations of the character would be his bronze/modern versions.

But wasn't he just as goofy in the Golden Age?
Other than the gun and darker atmosphere in earlier issues, I mean.

Have you even read Golden/Silver Age Batman?

Because you sound like a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

In Batman #5, Batman and Robin were teleported into a storybook to rescue a scientist's daughter from an evil witch.

Yes, Batman has always been goofy, because he's always been a weird superhero character.

That's just kind of how comics were back then. But even in his first incarnation batman was plenty dark.

And even if that weren't true, you're going on 60 year old stories as a reference for what his character is supposed to be like.

Really early on, it was sort of dark. It was emulating pulp characters like The Shadow and The Spider. His character wasn't solid yet. Later Golden Age stories and most of the Silver Age were silly, sure, but they solidified the character and introduced most of the villains that you would care about.
The Bronze Age only darkened it again to make it fit more modern sensibilities, and it's been going on that path ever since.

Casuals pls leave, Denny O'Neil was trying to get back to Bill Finger's vision for batman.

Wait one damn minute. You first say the Silver Age "butchered Batman", but when presented with evidence that the Golden Age was silly, you backtrack and say it doesn't count as a reference. You say this despite it being clearly in the Golden Age, within the first two years of Batman's existence, and being written by the creator of Batman, Bill fucking Finger?

What exactly counts as a "reference for what his character is supposed to be like" if the work of the man who made Batman everything he is doesn't count?

Bill Finger wrote over 300 Batman stories between 1939 and 1964. The entirety of the Golden Age and Atomic Age was Bill Finger's vision of Batman.

The Batman series actually captured the spirit of the comics in general quite well. Not only Batman, but comics as a whole. In fact, it keeps influencing comics to this day. Silly sound effects were the trademark of the show and have been a trademark of comics ever since.

well, perhaps not entirely. The comics code did force some meddling and moving away from gritty and realistic crime stories, which may have ultimately been counter to his will.
However, the need for the fantastic stories resulted in the creation of Mr. Zero (who would become Mr. Freeze in the TV show and ultimately the tragic figure we know from BTAS) and other much loved iconics

The visible sound effects are actually a hold over from the inspiration for Batman '66. "An Evening With Batman And Robin", the 1965 re-release of the 1943 "Batman" serial. A lot of the TV show's humor comes from how bad those serials are.

Tomorrow, you say?

I think I'll spend my celebration day by watching Suicide Squad :^))))

Batman #56 came out in 1949. The Comics Code wouldn't be a thing until 1955.

Having read a lot of Golden Age Batman comics, I never really understand where this idea that it was "gritty and realistic" comes from.

The most damage the CCA did to Batman was the infamous sci-fi years of the late 50's, but that was because of Mort Weisinger's pressure on Jack Schiff to make Batman more like Superman

The 50th Anniversary was back on Saturday.

Zuhr-En-Arh?

The "Gritty" comes from before Robin showed up. They were still goofy. He had a gun and the covers made him appear slightly more mysterious. That's about it.