CENSORED COMMENTS CRUSADE CALL

hello /g/, i come from a Holla Forums background but i am pretty versed in the gentoos so let's talk face to face

as /lgbt/ as this may sound, i am here to tell you what pisses me off and to propose a solution.

take a look at pic related. its what i could find in 2 minutes. but the issue is MUCH broader.

basically most major media outlets are fighting a fight against free commenting. whereever you see a slightly controversial article, the comments are deleted by the thousands.

i mean i would understand if they """flagged""" """offensive""" comments and you'd have to click on it to make it show, as a way to make the general experience """friendly""" (whatever that may mean). but they are blatantly deleting and censoring the comments.

i understand some comments might be spam or off topic. but if the sites internal voting system gives the comment 30 "stars" or whatever, it's not fucking spam, gtfo telling me what i can or cannot read

---

anyways, this """idea""" has been lingering in the back of my head for several years (which means its not a fad but still urgently needed), its blatantly simple and most likely exists in some for or another but i came here to gather some opinons on how to best design some system like this.

basically we would want a system that is
1) separate from nytimes/gawker/reddit/facebook/etc.
2) but allows people to comment on particular content on nytimes/gawker/reddit/facebook/etc.
3) has one of the common ""selection"" systems to filter out spam/shitposts/bait, for EXAMPLE reddit-type voting system (its an EXAMPLE you goddamn faggots, i know this particular system is an echo chamber for popular faggot opinions)

this would tilt the momentum back into our hands, because at the moment, the globalist media owners and goverment censors are winning.

IM FUCKING FED UP WITH OPENING A NEWS ARTICLE WHOSE CONTENT MAKES ME RAGE, ONLY TO FIND THE ADMINS DISABLED COMMENTS FOR THIS PARTICULAR ARTICLE.

i mean we need something like disqus but hosted separately, not embedded in the website itself.

challenges to solve:
1)links may take slightly different forms (added parameters, etc.) but still point to the same content. do we manually keep per-site algorithms that figure out what goes together? do we just ignore the problem altogether and consider all links unique? or do we develop some algorithms that detect links that might point to the same content, say, they both are from the same domains and both have the ID 54828737 somewhere inside, and then suggest to the user to join those comments?
2) do we run this system decentralized? it would greatly improve availability, and maybe we could implement a protocol that could dynamically accept new versions and extensions, say, for now, we just record the date and the content. then somebody wants to add an author name field. this field will get sent with the information and old clients will just discard the new fields?

i know im drifting into details, and i would prefer to build something simple and working at first, so i stop here.

i asked at the fourchins but all the replies very cancer AF, so i came here.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/RbDj0Gg.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

forgot pic

ffs why is the image upload not working

oh well, please someone upload this image as a reply
i.imgur.com/RbDj0Gg.jpg

Wasn't there a website that allowed you to generate a comments section for any webpage? Googling "The Comments Section" just brings up a blog.

I think you're literally describing Reddit. It lets you comment on articles on a separate site and has a reddit-type voting system for filtering spam/shitposts/bait.

great idea OP.

i assume you posted this to various places. is there a central place to discuss the idea? maybe create an IRC channel?

You seem lost, redditor

yes he's obviously not from here, who cares?

It's like you want this place to be filled with facebook tier normalfags

you're an idiot

Hi OP,

This is a cool idea. I've thought about this sort of thing a bit myself. When I thought about it I was thinking of a greasemonkey script that embedded comments in the page. But your idea is technically simpler and overall better.

This shouldn't be a big problem. Mostly the relevant information is contained in the "path" of the URL i.e. everything before the "?" or "#" (what comes after is called the "parameters" of the URL). The parameters will be junk that should be thrown away. Only rarely will the actual ID of the story appear in the parameters and not the path. It should be possible to use machine learning to find which parameter corresponds to the story ID.

In general decentralized systems suck. Many people of both the Holla Forums and Holla Forums persuasion prefer decentralized systems, but from a technological point of view they suck. The problem isn't keeping the versions of all the clients in sync. The problem is that the underlying infrastructure of the internet doesn't support decentralized systems as well. It's a lot of work for a desktop client to seek out peers, form connections etc. Most importantly, most users won't want to install additional software, which would be required for such a decentralized system. Plus there needs to be spam filtering which would put an extra load on clients. Luckily a tiny amount of server power can do a lot nowadays. I guess there are some issues around illegal content, but keeping things text only should help a lot.

I wish I could help you more but I have a busy job and I only have time for a few minor hobby projects. My advice would be to create (or get people to help you create) as simple proof of concept server using Go or Python. Try to use off the shelf libraries for spam detection and resolving URLs. There will also have to be some kind of UI in the website, e.g. a greasemonkey script or browser add-on to add a link to the discussion based on the URL (ideally it would strip out personal data contained in the URL parameters at the point, so that your server never sees this data). Without this users would have to copy-paste the URL which would get annoying. The add-on could also show the number of posts in the discussion page, though it shouldn't do this automatically since that would leak all the pages a user visited to your server, and again, you don't want to even see private information of users.

I'm happy to talk more on this if you have questions.

it has to be distributed otherwise it isn't censorship resistant

can't you just keep the servers in a friendly country?

dirty halfchanner

this site doesn't allow image uploads from known pedo IPs

Nice Ad Hominem, friend!

Censorship isn't relative to the country. The sites you have mentioned delete things that comply with US law. Hate speech is not illegal under US law.

Go die in a ditch faggot.

just make a browser plugin that replaces the comment forms. and a normal reporting system is better than a reddit voting system that everyone will just abuse