Iridium

What is Iridium Browser?
iridiumbrowser.de/

Do any of you use it? Can it be trusted?
Does anyone know how to use an updated version on Ubuntu?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
iridiumbrowser.de/imprint.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

good idea but it does not have the very essential addons that firefox has.

lol

this

It's okay, but every time I check back on it, HTML5 video still behaves very oddly and sometimes crashes. The update cycle seems awfully slow as well.

Like what? Firefox and Chrom* share 99% of addons since Firefox added WebExtensions.

I agree, buzzwords like "botnet" are funny, if not stupid.

/thread
Botnet is just redirected to their server. They don't actually remove it

Didn't they fix that in newer versions because it was only there for testing shit?

I use it, but only for flash-based streaming sites twitch since flash is fucking shit on *fox (waterfox in my case). Works fine except for the following two:
- to update addons you need to remove them and reinstall. they're shown as "not from the store" even if they fucking ARE installed from the store. that might be related to botnet removal, but honestly I don't care, this just doesn't work even if you click the update button. forget about automatic browser updates too.
- media playback faggotry (see below)

I never managed to get past "this browser doesn't support media playback" errors.
Last time I checked, any cookie addons like cookie monster or self destructing cookies. I managed to get "tab cookies" working as a replacement, but it's not even on the store.

They said it was for testing, to see where the browser was leaking data, and most of what the browser phoned was 404 anyways. But the fact that they didn't mention this coupled with the fact they were selling it as a "privacy-oriented browser" rubs people the wrong way.

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was referring to. I tested this without any addons and it still occurs. It's rather frustrating.

I typically manage the same functionality in both Chrom* and Firefox by using a combination of built-in cookie/privacy settings and uMatrix.

The only media error I get is I sometimes have to refresh the page to get youtube videos to load.
And that's only on Wangblows, I have no issues with my GNU/Linux partitions

I honestly have it on hold, under evaluation.
Firefox is going so down on ethical terms that I might begrudgingly consider a Chromium-based community fork in the near future

That was removed ages ago. Probably a year ago by now.

I use it when I need Chromium for compatibility reasons. I use qutebrowser as my main driver. It's getting a port to Chromium's rendering engine so you could see it as an alternative.

nope

Don't give a fuck. They burned their good will by doing that shady bullshit in the first place. I can never trust them now.

Das Ri'ht, ain't nobodies need that shit. They killed their browser with that one "mistake".

no it still has botnet, trust me, try looking at wireshark, there is zero google but it connects to THEIR servers instead even when not connected to anything

It phones home to iridiumbrowser.de, it's trash and an even worse botnet.

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

Thank you!

The video problems are really killing it. You can't even play any MP4 on Holla Forums in it. I tried FireFox, but performance isn't that good.

So is this the Holla Forums recommended browser?

That would be either Icecat, Palememe or Seamonkey, but I think it's a contender

not as fast as the jewgle botnet browser, deleted it senpai

Why the fuck wouldn't you want it German?

inb4 .is/.ch memes

Are there any Chrome extensions like "Save File to" on Firefox that let me save files straight to a folder and their sub-folders from the context menu?

Currently trying this browser out yet I can't find anything like that...

this

midori and lynx masterrace checking in

Too bad Midori crashes all the time and has a ton of bugs. The built in adblocking/scriptblocking is cool

indeed midori is rather hopeless. perhaps it has does have some potential though

What about github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium ?

It's actually one of the countries with the most active surveillance in the world

Germany is actually one of the countrys with the worst privacy.

its a piece of trash

==> Entpacke Quellen... -> Entpacke iridium-browser-51.1.tar.xz mit bsdtar -> Entpacke chromium-launcher-3.tar.gz mit bsdtar==> Beginne prepare()...patching file third_party/WebKit/Source/platform/image-decoders/png/PNGImageDecoder.cpppatching file chrome/common/chrome_content_client.ccHunk #1 succeeded at 160 (offset 2 lines).patching file chrome/common/chrome_paths.ccHunk #1 succeeded at 356 with fuzz 1 (offset -19 lines).patching file chrome/common/chrome_paths.hHunk #1 succeeded at 91 (offset -8 lines).patching file third_party/widevine/cdm/stub/widevine_cdm_version.h==> Beginne build()...sed \ -e "[email protected]/* */_NAME@|chromium|g" \ -e "[email protected]/* */_BIN@|/usr/lib/chromium/chromium|g" \ -e "[email protected]/* */_FLASH_DIR@|/usr/lib/PepperFlash|g" \ -e "[email protected]/* */_ERRMSG@|/usr/lib/chromium-launcher/launcher-errmsg|g" \ chromium-launcher.in >chromium-launcher/usr/bin/clang -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -std=c99 -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro launcher-errmsg.c -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -latk-1.0 -lcairo -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -o launcher-errmsgUpdating projects from gyp files...clang-3.8: error: unsupported argument '--version' to option 'Xassembler'compiler_version.py failed to execute: /usr/bin/clang++ -Xassembler --version -x assembler -c /dev/nullCommand '/usr/bin/clang++ -Xassembler --version -x assembler -c /dev/null' returned non-zero exit status 1Exception: Failed to extract compiler version for args: ['target', 'assembler']Traceback (most recent call last): File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 496, in CallLoadTargetBuildFile includes, depth, check, False) File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 417, in LoadTargetBuildFile build_file_data, PHASE_EARLY, variables, build_file_path) File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1214, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict variables, build_file, 'variables') File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1266, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict ProcessConditionsInDict(the_dict, phase, variables, build_file) File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1145, in ProcessConditionsInDict variables, build_file) File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1266, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict ProcessConditionsInDict(the_dict, phase, variables, build_file) File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1145, in ProcessConditionsInDict variables, build_file) File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1221, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict expanded = ExpandVariables(value, phase, variables, build_file) File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 891, in ExpandVariables replacement = str(py_module.DoMain(parsed_contents[1:])).rstrip() File "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-bka/aur-iridium/src/iridium-browser-51.1/build/compiler_version.py", line 107, in DoMain raise Exception("Failed to extract compiler version for args: %s" % args)Exception: Failed to extract compiler version for args: ['target', 'assembler']==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build(). Breche ab...==> FEHLER:Makepkg konnte iridium nicht erstellen.==> Erstellen von iridium neu starten?[j/N]==> ---------------------------------------==>

They literally replaced the Google callbacks with their own server address, and when questioned about it they said they didn't want to break anything that required the callbacks - if anything required them that is.

They didn't even comment the shit out and test it, they just divert all of the shit Google collects to them instead.

That might not be Iridium's fault. The AUR has a lot of shitty PKGBUILDs.

It's outdated, just like the ungoogled Chromium. I'm using Opera but I plan to switch to Brave once they implement proper bookmark management.

Brave? Does it have any add-ons?

Does this have any connections to that other "open source" german fork of Chromium, SRWare Iron? Because I recall Iron doing a lot of shady stuff, like not actually providing source code.

Another bonet

kek
Chromium is fucked up big times because of a corporation

So you're cucked.
Flash is backdoor. Doesn't matter much if it's bundled into chromium or not.

Chromium doesn't include Chrome's version of flash

That post literally said that that doesn't matter.

This. Germany is not FVEY, but it is in the SIGINT Seniors Europe (SSEUR) or "14 Eyes" group, and wants badly to be the 6th Eye. There was some speculation that Merkel eased up on her public criticism of the NSA's surveillance of her cell phone and other comms in exchange for extra access and cooperation from the NSA for Germany.

There's a perception that Germany is a privacy-friendly country, but they're almost as dirty as the rest of the West. You can't even publish a website anonymously in Germany. All websites are required to have an "Impressum" listing the responsible publisher's name and address. Iridium lists theirs on their main page: iridiumbrowser.de/imprint.html

So should I just stay with Firefox Beta?