Fixing DC Films

How do you fix them, Holla Forums?

Hard Mode: No reboots, retcons or recasts

You can't. DC's "extended universe" is absolutely FUBAR, and has been so since Man of Snapped Necks.

Put a huge Silver Age fanboy in charge, wait a few years, and figure out what the new problems are.

Obviously "just put the animation writers in charge" would get you better stuff overall, but it'll never happen. For now, just see how good or bad it is from the changes made, which will take a year or two before you even can really say what effect they had.

The problem is that they wanted that Avengers money so bad they forgot that making a movie universe takes time. Marvel had Iron Man and Hulk and just decided to keep going. DC had the idea to do a universe from the start so pumped out film without thought. The Wonder Woman movie isn't out yet and there's already Justice League promo art stuff. Batman vs Superman was just a teaser for Justice League. The only way to fix it would be to discard it all as a painful memory and try again in like 10 years.

Can't be done

Jokes! Going by the trailer for JL that's their plan.

Kill the current JL off ala Earth 2 Darkseid invasion. Bring in new heroes not already used from there. Bring in color, stories with only mild edge, fire Snyder, and don't butcher the characters beyond their mainstream versions too much. Except for Hal Jordan. Make him more cool and likable. Less pedo like and bland. Also no space bug.

Those were jokes? Was the funny part how awkward and unnatural all the dialogue felt?

Readjust the trajectory for the Superman franchise. Superman's fucked unless his future films build him back up and actually dive into his mythos. No more Krypton as a rule. Salvage Luthor's fucked up characterization and give him a behind-the-scenes presence in prison, maybe even cameos in other films. Give Clark Kent (and by association Lois) a fucking purpose beyond character drama.

Start diversifying with lesser known characters and franchises. Either give the films enough breathing room to avoid direct MCU comparisons or just don't connect them.

No Joker, or diminish his profile to that of a perpetually annoying thug. He's had two films already, give Batman's other villains a chance as another rule.

Can't fix capeshit.

Here's an idea: Do another Green Lantern movie, but pretty much lift the plot from First Flight. Less origin story, more Sinestro's turn for the worse. Only allude to Spess Bug, do not make it Hal's first opponent in the background.

Idea's I had for a GL trilogy.

Set first movie entirely on Earth, where the human GL user learns to wield the ring (from Abin Sur) and have the willpower to fight (Earth based) evil. There are small hints he is being watched by the Guardians (Eg like seeing a quick glance of a projection of little blue man being reflected in a mirror or something). At the end he is deemed worthy and is taking into space to Oa by the ring.

2nd movie, more cosmic setting and threats, meets other GL including Sinestro. Foreshadowing of him being a renegade occurs. Sinestro may have filled out plot holes in the first movie again acting on his own against the Guardians orders (Eg like assisting/interfering when he shouldn't have)

3rd movie, Sinestro is the threat, show how his version of "good" is basically destruction and dictator like control against the Guardians code.

Basically:
1) Single, local, inexperienced.
2) Team, cosmic, more experienced
3) Divided/betrayed, both?, no one has the experience to fight a threat from with in the corps.

This might actually work better as four movies to show more of Sinestro's downfall. With him not appearing in the first, but the next two and then the fourth and final has him being evil).

Want a stupid idea I just thought of? Instead of Abin Sur teaching him anything, have some sort of "training recordings" that are done by a younger Sinestro. They could be as incomplete as you want, but in many ways he'd be the one to teach Hal some of the basics and instill in him a small sense of how noble the purpose of the Green Lanterns are. I think that would allow you to sorta use Sinestro in the first film, and you'd feel more of a connection and contrast between his younger self and the older, far more jaded Green Lantern Hal meets in your second movie.

I'd say for the 2nd movie you could make a sorta buddy cop thing with Sinestro teaching Hal about the universe and various cosmic threats. Leading to them bonding over stopping dudes. Sinestro snaps on a job, Hal stops him, they have a heart to heart with Sinestro telling Hal his life story. Cosmic baddie shows up and the Lanterns have to fight him. Eventually leading to Hal and Sinestro fighting and beating him together. Maybe with the cosmic baddie spouting on about how fear will rule the universe. Giving Sinestro more and more ideas about betraying the GL corp. Perhaps the baddie has a cosmic weapon powered by fear and made by the cosmic smiths that forged the YL rings in the comics. Sinestro tracks them down at the end of the movie and forces them to start making YL rings for himself. Leading to the 3rd movie with Sinestro going full baddie after trying to get Hal to join him.

I'd just stop this current one and wait ten years or so to do it right. I'd start with a superman movie where he is a journalist, ma and pa kent are still alive. The movie will open to the destruction of Krypton and Jor-El sending his son off as he and his wife are unsure if Kal-El would survive, then Jor-El sees something.Cut to modern times with Clark as a Journalist.Lex Luthor creates Parasite by accident since in this version Parasite is one of his goons. Have Superman fight Parasite as the villain of the movie since you could weaken Superman without kryptonite and be clever with his powers, have Lex Luthor be the overarching villain of the superman movies as a recurring villain.Throw in a budding romance with Lois Lane in there as well. Also for the first movie I might throw in some social commentary about the state of modern journalism with shit like Gawker, huffington post and Salon. I'd also put a focus on superman trying to find out his own heritage.

The second movie he discovers and activates the phantom zone projector and meets Zod and his crew. He's excited since he gets to know more about his heritage and starts to bond with Zod in this weird father son relationship as superman learns kryptonian culture from Zod and Zod learns how to control his powers from Superman. However, Zod has his own desires for Kryptonian culture to survive by claiming part of earth for himself. This leads to clash between Kryptonian culture and human culture and eventually Superman and Zod fight. Superman beats Zod back into the Phantom Zone and saves the day. But everyone hates him now because of the damage the Kryptonians caused so it'd would be a darker ending. Lois comforts Superman over his guilt and he accepts that he identifies more with human culture than Kryptonian.

The final movie in the trilogy Lex Luthor takes advantage of the anti Kryptonian bias and uses it to slander Superman at every turn despite his good deeds. He also uses Kryptonian tech to arm his own soldiers to make it seem like there's a Kryptonian invasion. He messes with Kryptonian technology and accidentally summons Braniac by accident. Superman comes in to fight Lex's Soldiers and beats them. Then Braniac comes in and decides to shrink Metropolis. Braniac takes Lex hostage because he summoned him and Superman has to come in and rescue him and eventually defeats Braniac. However he sees the Kryptonian tech that Lex fucked with before and sees an image of his father Jor- El and isn't sure if it's real but tells him he is all right. Jor-El sees this and comforts his wife that Kal-El will be okay. They embrace as Krypton swallows them whole in its destruction. Clark Kent writes article exposing Luthor's schemes and Luthor goes to jail and has his assets seized by the government and some other companies like Wayne tech. Clark comes to terms with who he is and goes out with Lois Lane. Luthor is in jail plotting to form the Legion of Doom. (for the record I'm aware I'm borrowing a lot from Superman Birthright if any of you are curious. And next is the Wonder Woman trilogy.

Alright, who's Hal's first baddie? The problem with Parallax (and with bringing in Darkseid as BBEG in Justice League) is that it brings up a threat WAY out of scale with what the hero can do at this stage of the game, even with plot armor. It also escalates too fast and wastes an antagonist better used as a challenge for seasoned protagonists later.

I'd suggest using the Manhunters as the second film's antagonists, to show the contrast with the Green Lantern Corps.

As for the smiths, those would be the Weaponers of Qward. It would do well for them to foreshadow the Monitors and Anti-Monitor, as they come from the latter's dimension.

I decided to do Wonder Woman next instead of Batman because he is overexposed at this point and I will save him for later. The first Wonder Woman movie will be set in modern times and will be roughly based on Gods and Mortals by George Perez. It starts with opening showing the origins of the Amazons as they live in their city but are attacked by Hercules who is under the influence of Ares. They are kept as slaves but rebel and kill their captors. However for giving into their own savagery they are put on an island to live the rest of their days in immortality. The leader of the Amazons Queen Hippolyta is sad and wants a daughter so the gods give her one as Hippolyta sculpts her out of clay. The gods breathe life into her and she becomes Diana of Themiscyra. She is treated as a little sister by the Amazons and wants to see the world but her mother warns her how dangerous it is. We cut to Steve Trevor an agent for the military flying a spy plane over Western Turkey to see if military weapons are being shipped to ISIS. He flies an invisible spy plane but it gets struck by lightning and is stuck in the invisible form and he crash lands on Themyscyra. Diana finds him on the beach and takes him in. She is surprised because he is the first man she has ever seen. The other Amazons come to the beach and take him prisoner. She sneaks into visit him and asks him about the outside world and they have a pleasant conversation but her mother catches her and tells her not to talk to men. Diana is angry about this but there is an upcoming competition to be come the representative to man's world but Diana is forbidden form entering. So she disguises herself and enters the competition and wins it. She reveals herself to her mother who is pissed and doesn't want her to go but she finally comes to terms with it and wishes her daughter good luck. She receives her powers from the gods and the gods and Amazons help repair Steve's plane and they head out to man's world. There she meets Etta Candy, Dr. Helena Sandsmark, Cassie Sandsmark/Donna Troy and Barbara Minerva. They exchange their cultures with each other and Barbara is especially interested in Amazonian culture. There's some humor with Wonder Woman as the straight man(woman) when she is taking a tour of the Amazon exhibit and the tour guide says that Amazons cut one of their own breasts off to fire arrows better but Diana interjects saying this isn't true. There's a bit of culture clash as she and Steve Trevor work together stop ISIS. ISIS is being manipulated by Ares himself. Ares manipulates Russia, U.S., Turkey and Israel into fighting so he can get world war 3. Diana learns of this and puts her own culture clash aside as she realizes that Amazonian culture is heavily flawed but realizes the good in it and seeks to build upon that. She teams up with Steve Trevor to fight ISIS alongside Kurdish fighters and kills a shitload of them. She liberates female sex slaves and lets them brutally kill ISIS. She fights Ares and uses the lasso of truth to expose him and everyone realizes they were being played by him. Ares gets sent down to Tartarus to be tortured and possibly anally raped by Hades. The Kurdish, Israeli's and the Turks say that just because Ares used them doesn't mean it's over and they are still pissed at each other. Diana concedes this and works in talks to help stabilize the region and help out the people their with food and medical supplies. She and Steve become good friends and she officially becomes amabasador to the UN. A crime is happening and she twirls into costume to stop it. However there is an after credits scene where Barbara Minerva is in Africa searching for a dagger belonging to the Cheetah idol.

the second one she fights the Cheetah and is heartbroken to learn that Barbara Minerva is the Cheetah. Ares escapes his prison and makes an offer with Diana but she refuses.

The third one she fights Circe and becomes fucked up and Donna Troy becomes Wonder girl to help her out.

Then I'd have a flash movie, then a green lantern one, then batman. The batman one would be taking him back to his roots as a detective and would focus more on him investigating and his own insanity. The first villain would be scarecrow. The second movie I would introduce Joker as an overarching villain but not the main one. I would also introduce Robin and Barbara Gordon. The final film would take place in Arkham Asylum and would have the Joker be the main villain and it would kind of be like Batman Arkham Asylum in terms of plot and Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl in this one. After this there would be a worlds finest movie where Superman, Batman and WonderWoman team up to become the trinity and fight Lex Luthor, the joker and the Cheetah.

Then the Justice League movie comes and they team up to fight Starro the conqueror. I do want to make a note that the trilogies will be spread out kind of like Marvel but they won't all be in phase one.

Also I forgot to mention that the Martian Manhunter would assemble the Justice League int the first film and join them.Then after this I would explore other characters like Green Arrow and Black Canary with a Supermax type setting. I would do more crossovers since some characters can't hold a film on their own. I would introduce Zatanna, Hawk man and Hawk girl. They later join the Justice league. The second justice league movie would have them fight the legion of doom assembled by Lex Luthor but the Joker isn't invited since he fucked everyone's shit up in the world's finest. The legion captures members of the justice league as they plan to execute their rivals. But Joker is pissed since he wasn't invited and wants to crash the party. Lex has Deathstroke take out the Joker and try to kill Green Arrow and Black Canary who aren't League members yet but have been offered the position. They escape Deathstroke and form a plan to help rescue the league with the help of the sidekicks (Robin, Batgirl, Donna Troy, Aqualad, Speedy, and Kid Flash. They bust the league out to help them escape but the Legion catches up with them but Joker turns out is still alive and bombs the party. Chaos ensues as the League and Legion duke it out and Joker gets his revenge for being left out of the fun.The League beats the Legion of doom but some of the Legion members escape like Lex Luthor and Sinestro.

Sinestro would pretty much form the sinestro corps and start his war on the green lanterns. I might do a New Gods movie using the Green Lanterns as an introduction to the space stuff. I would also do a Teen Titans Trilogy with the first movie being them assembling on a mission and encountering Starfire and saving her from the Psions and Raven,Cyborg and Beastboy would show up as well. The second Teen titans movie would essentially be the Judas story arc with Deathstroke as the main villain. ANd the final one they teen titans would have to fight Trigon.And the final Justice League movie would have the League fight Darkside as he tries to take over the Universe. It would span across multiple worlds and would be grand in nature.The of course beat Darkseid and this would be the end of my DC universe film series

also forgot to mention I would have an aquaman movie as well maybe two of them with ocean master as the villain in the first one and black manta as the villain in the second one.