Is there any point in learning C# if I don't want to use Visual studio? Is Monodevelop any good?

Is there any point in learning C# if I don't want to use Visual studio? Is Monodevelop any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

omnisharp.net/
monodevelop.com/documentation/release-notes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not really. DirectX dropped C# support almost ten years ago, and to use most functions you needed to use C++ anyway. Other than that you have C# being used by some video game people and some business programmers that fell for the meme, but nobody else uses it. Learn Java instead, they are basically the same level of boring but Java is a marketable skill. I don't know about monodevelop.

Its basically the same (C# is worse) but people will actually hire you to write Java programs. I really dislike Java, I threw all my Java books away because I have zero desire to do anything in Java. I'm just saying that if you look at the in-demand languages, it is what it is.

Despite being a cancerous namefag, he's correct. Java is fucking everywhere. C# is fucking nowhere.

I disagree with C# being worse though. C# is easily better than Java, I enjoyed writing C# applications much more than I enjoyed writing Java applications. it's just not nearly as useful to know C# as it is to know Java

I meant specifically for my own purposes. Im not looking for a job, thats why I said I didn't even want to use visual studio.

but then

I write C# at work, but I don't use neither VisualStudio nor MonoDevelop. VS is for Windows and MD had a number of minor but really irksome issues. I use Vim with the OmniSharp plugin instead, works just as well. OmniSharp exists for a number of other editors as well.
omnisharp.net/

I only use mono because my university decides that we all need to be microsoft plebs using windows and C#. Monodevelop was good enough though, got 10/10 and 9,5/10 so I guess it suffices.

I will always prefer Java over C# though, they may both be awful, but at least Java is truly cross-platform.

C# is a meme Java is shit but shit that is actually used in the field because retards can write Java and it just werks.

are you retarded ? because you act like one

He's a huge sperg who shat up \k\ for weeks. Just ignore him.

C# and Java are 95% the same.
If you can write one you can pick up the other in less than an hour and be productive. They're both designed to be easy as piss to write, and are. IDEA is close enough to Visual Studio that you won't even notice the difference after a day.

There is literally nothing wrong with the JVM. If you hate Java there's Scala and Clojure which might suit you better.

Honestly, if you don't want to use Visual Studio I see no real reason to learn C#. Visual Studio is part of what makes C# fun to write. It's such a good IDE, especially if you are using other Microsoft products like SQL Server. I don't generally like IDEs, but Visual Studio is the perfect IDE for its purpose. I haven't tried Monodevelop or anything like that, and haven't written C# in 5 years though.

C# is okay if you use Windows. It's like Python or Java except less multi-platform. It's an entry level programming language.

You'd have a difficult time finding anything useful to do in C#, but it can be a great stepping stone up to C++ or C, just as Python/Java is.

In terms of finding a job, you probably won't. C#'s marketability peaked a while ago. The best thing to make in C# is graphics-based things, and I wouldn't stray too far from desktop applications if I were you as it's internet capabilities are... lackluster to say the least.

Nevertheless if you're looking for something that holds your hand and is generally easy to use but still gives valuable programming experience C# is definitely a good option.

I wouldn't stick around though. Hop to C, C++, or Python ASAP for more valuable experience. If you want to fall for a meme, Rust is apparently okay too although I've never used it.

As for IDEs, I personally like using SharpDevelop. The upside to that is it has support for other languages too. The downside is Visual Studio does a better job with any other language, and Linux is better to use period which AFAIK doesn't have support for SharpDevelop.

This. The only times I've ever seen C# used in the real world is some web applications and Unity's engine accepts it as a scripting language.

i wrote what was essentially a full fledged backdoor in c# at my job and a few cucks actually bought it and use it lmao

No but xamarin studio is .

Whats wrong with monodevelop?

abandonware

the latest release notes even refer to xamarin

monodevelop.com/documentation/release-notes/

monodevelop is getting cucked by microsoft, just deal with it kiddo

What was the name of this backdoor program?

If you don't want to use Windows and Visual Studio, I would focus on another language besides C#, but don't listen to those who say it's a worthless language. The language is better designed than Java, and you're much more likely to actually find a job with C# than C or even C++.